shape
carat
color
clarity

eternity band for engagement ring -- all the way around?

tonkatsu

Rough_Rock
hi everyone, what are the pro's and con's of getting a diamond for an engagement ring set in an eternity band with diamonds all the way around, as opposed to one that's 3/4 around (or even less)? i was thinking all along that i'd do all the way around, but it seems that most people here don't do that (or don't have engagement rings like that).

i guess the reason i want to go all the way around in the ring i'm getting for my fiancee (with a cushion cut center stone) is purely sentimental/symbolic. i can't think of another real reason, but that seems a strong one. (i guess there is an appearance difference too, but i imagine it's not too noticeable?)

i know one downside is it's impossible to resize this type of ring, and ring sizes do change. (i do know her exact size right now, luckily.) i've heard people say that the small diamonds in the band can fall out, but is that any more likely with a band that goes all the way around? are you particularly likely to hit the bottom of the ring, as opposed to the sides?

i've also heard people say all the way around bands are less comfortable. is this true?

any thoughts would be appreciated -- i have to decide soon.......

thanks!
oops, if this is in the wrong forum please let me know -- i'm new.

noob2010

Rough_Rock
I think you hit most of the points. I was told you can't resize the ring and with diamonds all the way around, the chances are greater that the bottom stones will fall out because that's the side you grip with. Everytime she puts her hand down on a table, types on a computer, or carries something, the diamonds will be hitting...

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
tonkatsu, you hit on all the points for sure. As a girl, comfort is a big thing for me. Some people have nice skinny fingers (where the knuckle is the point of contact between the fingers), but I have little chubbs where the fleshy part is the point of contact, so I can really feel the diamonds inbetween -- a lot. If your GF has nice hands, she may not mind the diamonds all the way around.

Also, sizing is a serious concern since I do swell up between 1-1.5 sizes at a time, and I haven't even had kids yet. Some people gain a whole size in pregnancy! :shock:

I would go for 3/4 simply because symbolism is really sweet and all, but it's something that she would wear (hopefully) every day for the rest of her life, so you want to think about the practicality of the ring as well.

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
antelope1 said:
tonkatsu, you hit on all the points for sure. As a girl, comfort is a big thing for me. Some people have nice skinny fingers (where the knuckle is the point of contact between the fingers), but I have little chubbs where the fleshy part is the point of contact, so I can really feel the diamonds inbetween -- a lot. If your GF has nice hands, she may not mind the diamonds all the way around.

Also, sizing is a serious concern since I do swell up between 1-1.5 sizes at a time, and I haven't even had kids yet. Some people gain a whole size in pregnancy! :shock:

I would go for 3/4 simply because symbolism is really sweet and all, but it's something that she would wear (hopefully) every day for the rest of her life, so you want to think about the practicality of the ring as well.

You nailed it ;))

Tonkatsu seems well aware of the issues pertaining to wearing an eternity ring set with diamonds all the way around the ring, but Antelope1 brings up the concept of comfort which is something that customers frequently complain about with this type of ring... And while it's nice to think that we'll never gain weight, the reality is that most of us do, which means that at some point the ring is going to require sizing and despite often being aware of the hassles involved with doing so (at the time they buy the ring) most customers balk at the concept of having to have a ring completely rebuilt when the time comes to actually have a new one built to the new size.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results