shape
carat
color
clarity

14k white gold in saline pool?

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My solitaire e-ring is now bolted to my finger and I am wondering if it’s ok to wear the 14k white gold shank with platinum head to a saline pool on a regular basis. I enjoy looking at the sparkle under water! I was told that there is some natural chlorine made with electricity and salt water present.

Would wearing it result in having to replate the white gold more often or will doing so cause actually damage to the ring?

Thanks!

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Just found this online. “In addition to chlorine, saltwater is also corrosive to jewelry and can cause them significant damage. Saltwater exposure can lead to erosion of soldered joints, increasing the chances of you losing your diamonds. White gold and silver are the most prone to this kind of erosion, whereas platinum jewelry can withstand saltwater a bit more.”

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Correct, you shouldn't wear white gold rings in pools or the ocean. There's also a chance of losing them as they may become more loose under water. I never wear any jewelry of value in pools or larger bodies of water.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I lost my first wedding ring in the ocean while skin diving off the coast of Okinawa. The salt in ocean water is enough to dedicate the flesh on your fingers so that rings tend to slip off easily.

it is never good to lose something so sentimental, so I recommend not wearing rings while swimming, regardless of any additional damage that might occur.

Wink

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your responses! Is it also inadvisable to swim with platinum jewelry from a durability standpoint?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not disputing the experts or the facts! Howevaaaaaaaaaa

I NEVER remove my jewelry (except to fastidiously clean).
About to celebrate 25 years!
Ocean, pool, shower, hot tub
(No cleaning chemicals though)
I’ve never had anything wear out, snap etc.
I guess I’m just saying we all make choices

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m not disputing the experts or the facts! Howevaaaaaaaaaa

I NEVER remove my jewelry (except to fastidiously clean).
About to celebrate 25 years!
Ocean, pool, shower, hot tub
(No cleaning chemicals though)
I’ve never had anything wear out, snap etc.
I guess I’m just saying we all make choices

Hi Motown!

What metals do you wear in the pool?

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I also lost a gold ring as a teenager while swimming, it is just very easy for them to slip off your fingers. It was never found. Salt, chlorine especially is very damaging to gold. Do not wear gold and any gemstone while doing any type of work out activities. Banging up diamonds accidentally can easily damage them too, not to mention the metalwork. Sure, some people do and do not have a problem for years but why take chances? I don’t know perhaps I am too sentimental but many of my pieces are irreplacable to me and I would just feel sick if it was to happen. Best to be safe.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results