shape
carat
color
clarity

14K vs. 18K YG... does size matter?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...to appreciate the difference in color, I mean.

For example, would thinner plain rounded bands (1.8-2.0 mm and under) show enough difference in color to justify the cost increase of 18K?? ...or is it necessary to have a wider “canvas” to adequately showcase 18K’s richer color in comparison to 14K? :geek2:

I’m kinda stuck in a project and need to make an informed decision before Thursday with regards to this topic, but I’ve never owned 18K YG, soooo... I hoping y’all can help me! :kiss2:

Reactions: AV_

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My google search has led me to many photos like this. Some look pretty different, whole others show the two gold colors to be almost indistinguishable. :eek2:

814FB93E-9A26-4E47-80C6-A204976358D8.jpeg

44106664-A2F5-4031-AE33-048CE47B4E42.jpeg

B776ECF6-271B-4540-9477-D53FB79BA11B.png

ADBE98F6-7029-44F9-A1A3-BC15DE20CD2E.jpeg

Attachments

• 6BF7A5AB-51D4-4D8D-AD52-A777976A652E.jpeg
    6BF7A5AB-51D4-4D8D-AD52-A777976A652E.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 55

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hmm. I mean 18kt is richer in color, and it is a little softer, and luxury brands use it over 14kt, so if you want a more high end look and feel, typically you go for 18kt.

But how much of a difference in color? It depends, I think, on the alloys. Our Craftsmen took a picture for our client who wanted to know the relative color differences in our alloys of rose gold. So... maybe ask the vendor if they'll take a picture for you comparing the two, if they can? I have an antique 14kt ring that look just like one of my 18kt pieces. But I've seen some pale 14kt too, like at Macys and stuff. And that's why those vendors post pictures of their alloys so you know what theirs looks like, as opposed to someone else's.

Right now gold is expensive, so I understand that depending on where you are buying from the price difference can be large between the two, also depending on the weight of the piece. So that's definitely a consideration.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please feel free to add your own IRL photos. TIA!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm. I mean 18kt is richer in color, and it is a little softer, and luxury brands use it over 14kt, so if you want a more high end look and feel, typically you go for 18kt.

But how much of a difference in color? It depends, I think, on the alloys. Our Craftsmen took a picture for our client who wanted to know the relative color differences in our alloys of rose gold. So... maybe ask the vendor if they'll take a picture for you comparing the two, if they can? I have an antique 14kt ring that look just like one of my 18kt pieces. But I've seen some pale 14kt too, like at Macys and stuff.

Right now gold is expensive, so I understand that depending on where you are buying from the price difference can be large between the two depending on the weight of the piece. So that's definitely a consideration.

Thanks, Gypsy... the pricing is great, the 20% restocking fee is less than great. But even so, the pricing still beats the vast majority I’ve seen.

So just to verify, you’re saying there are different alloys for YG that may different with regards to the color, yes?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_0734.jpg IMG_0737.jpg
Hope this helps.
Obviously different lighting and just with a iPhone.
Different vendors with different alloys are for sure a factor.
From top to bottom
18k 2mm DK
18k 1.4/1.5 HOW
14k 3mm generic local jeweler.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You may get different colors even with the same gold purity like in @Rfisher s photo....I think you have to either get ok with slightly different shades of yellow or buy from the same place every time (this is what I tell myself anyway, and I don't want to buy from the same place). Beyond just the richness if the gold some alloys have a yellower tone and some have a browner tone.

I tried on a ton of yg bands and never ended up buying one because I couldn't find a design I liked in a matching yg. :/

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know squat about mixing alloys and YG outside very basic information. However, based on what I'm reading and seeing I would compare this to fountain drinks.

For instance I enjoy Dr Pepper. Most restaurants and convenient stores seem to offer this flavor from the fountain, yet not every place has the same exact taste. It's because the carbonation and syrup ratios are slightly different from place to place. Also, the type of cup you serve in (plastic, paper, styrofoam, etc) can change the taste. Just like with beer (most cans alter the taste from bottles).

I'm thinking the same thing is happening here. Jeweler A uses an 18k alloy and mixes at their ratios but slightly different than Jeweler B. Both are within tolerance for 18k but slight variations in process result in a slightly different tint.

Speaking of perfect mixes -- totally unrelated but the fiancee and I found a drink we so dig at a Texas style steakhouse called Saltgrass. It's called a frozen crown & coke. Holy mother of goodness. My favorite drink is crown & coke, and this is like a slushy. They premix at the restaurant and it's tasty to say the least. Best part is you get a brain freeze if you drink too fast, lol.

On a camping adventure, we decided to try and replicate this. How hard could it. Add a little coke, some ice and lots of crown. Not bad, but had a higher watery taste.

Since we make friends everywhere we go, I was talking to the bartender at Salt Grass and learned the exact ratios (for their machines). More importantly, I learned our fatal flaw -- we were using can or bottles of Coke to do the mix. Their recipes is using Coke syrup which is sweeter and eliminates part of the water.

Once the wedding is over, I'm investing in an ice mixing machine and will be serving my own frozen crown & cokes at home.

20171105_175826a.jpg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are many different alloys of both 14k and 18k with subtle and not so subtle color differences.
They also vary by region for example much of the 18k in Japan at one time looked nothing like the 18k in the US.
Now days a lot of it is made in India and China for both markets rather then locally so the difference is not as common in store goods.

Many people actually like the look of the common US 14k alloys over the common US 18k alloys.
I am one of them.
In 18k my favorite 18k dark is very similar to 22k
https://www.unitedpmr.com/18k_22k_yellow_gold_casting_alloys.php

Last edited:

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I much prefer 22k yellow gold to 18k (call that me SE Asian upbringing). The extra yellow tint is noticeable and more attractive to my eyes. Of course, given that 22k isn’t available here in Australia, the next best thing is 18k.

I have received compliments and questions from women at my office as well as at jewellers on my 22k wedding band relative to the usual 9k or 14k yellow gold that is usually available here at the vast majority of jewellers.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I much prefer 22k yellow gold to 18k (call that me SE Asian upbringing). The extra yellow tint is noticeable and more attractive to my eyes. Of course, given that 22k isn’t available here in Australia, the next best thing is 18k.

I have received compliments and questions from women at my office as well as at jewellers on my 22k wedding band relative to the usual 9k or 14k yellow gold that is usually available here at the vast majority of jewellers.

As a general rule, I will always get 14k for a ring because it is stronger. But ... if a 22k works then 18k would work ... I would go with the richer color of 18k. This may be one of the new things I learn today.

@bmfang I thought 22k would be way too soft for a ring ... how is yours holding up? What was the gold mixed with?

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As a general rule, I will always get 14k for a ring because it is stronger. But ... if a 22k works then 18k would work ... I would go with the richer color of 18k. This may be one of the new things I learn today.

@bmfang I thought 22k would be way too soft for a ring ... how is yours holding up? What was the gold mixed with?

My 22k YG band is holding up fine. It has patina on it (fine scratches). It’s actually a lot stronger than a pure platinum wedding band my in-laws bought for my wife and I which deforms a lot easier (then again, the platinum band is a lot thinner too). Bent a little bit, but that was when I had to get it resized. I’m not too bothered by it not being perfectly round.

A couple of quick side profile shots while I am waiting at the car dealership for a car service:

68FFE9AC-35FA-43C1-B8FE-DA7FAC1CDCEF.jpeg

7EFCFAF7-6BDD-434B-8726-8F9E4B193484.jpeg
Ring on left is 22k YG, on the right is my late grandfather’s platinum ring. I missed out on inheriting his episcopal ring after he passed as it was buried with him (along with his pectoral cross). I believe that was either 18/22k YG with a beautiful deep purple amethyst cabochon set on top).

I’m not sure of the exact composition of the alloys, but I think in SE Asia 22k is formed by gold mixed in with some silver and copper, maybe some zinc as well.

All of my thin neck chains I wear (even with my crucifixes) are also all 22k and they have worn fine for close to two decades now (minimal issues with the gold deforming and flexing).

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_0734.jpg IMG_0737.jpg
Hope this helps.
Obviously different lighting and just with a iPhone.
Different vendors with different alloys are for sure a factor.
From top to bottom
18k 2mm DK
18k 1.4/1.5 HOW
14k 3mm generic local jeweler.

Thanks, @Rfisher, this does help a lot!! :kiss2:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You may get different colors even with the same gold purity like in @Rfisher s photo....I think you have to either get ok with slightly different shades of yellow or buy from the same place every time (this is what I tell myself anyway, and I don't want to buy from the same place). Beyond just the richness if the gold some alloys have a yellower tone and some have a browner tone.

I tried on a ton of yg bands and never ended up buying one because I couldn't find a design I liked in a matching yg. :/

This is what is so maddening... Ugh!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I would ask the vendor for a picture of their 18kt and 14kt alloys side by side. :) And I like the wider width bands 1.8-2.0mm

Just got them! I’m going to go with 1.8 mm in 18K! Woohoo!! :dance:

2C876059-1AFD-43C9-AE8D-993A787E07B0.jpeg C1E54C08-D02F-4F7A-9DC6-9CF7F16B21B7.jpeg

The vendor confirmed what I thought all along... the wider the band, the more obvious the color difference. :geek2:

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Yay! I am happy you got an answer. I like 18kt yellow, just as a personal choice.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have two thin bands from Etsy (different sellers) - one is 14k YG and 1.6mm wide, and the other is 18k YG and 1.8 wide. I can definitely see the color difference!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve been lazy, so I’m just now getting around to posting pics of my YG band... I ended up purchasing the 1.8 mm in 18K YG, and I really love it!! Thanks to everyone who helped me decide!

Here are some pics with my newest eternity from Zina.

Disclaimer: diamond is absolutely filthy - please don’t judge... :halo:;))

1456788E-ACCF-48DB-B1E2-87EE23774960.jpeg B4F75448-5D84-4C1C-84D4-E39286817F3A.jpeg D04F69AB-0401-4FD0-B754-28439221DC5B.jpeg 9DE34609-17E4-4D83-84E5-AE5B213A5A8E.jpeg

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks lovely @msop04! The 18kt gold was definitely the right choice!

P.S. I can’t be bothered with an ultrasonic, but this is the easiest and surprisingly good jewellery cleaner imo. I drop my ring it in the am for a couple of mins while coffee is made and voila - clean diamond!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks lovely @msop04! The 18kt gold was definitely the right choice!

P.S. I can’t be bothered with an ultrasonic, but this is the easiest and surprisingly good jewellery cleaner imo. I drop my ring it in the am for a couple of mins while coffee is made and voila - clean diamond!

Thanks!! Will try it!

Do you rinse with water and use a hair dryer after??

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love your new stack @msop04 !

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @msop04 -

I know I'm a bit behind the curve, I'm sorry - but I just wanted to show you this photo; my 14kt wedding ring with my 18kt 3 stone; clearly a difference. The wedder is only 2mm, and the tapered part of the soli is less than that, yet the difference is still obvious. Frankly, it always bugged me slightly, too.

144838 - e-ring and wedder.jpeg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @msop04 -

I know I'm a bit behind the curve, I'm sorry - but I just wanted to show you this photo; my 14kt wedding ring with my 18kt 3 stone; clearly a difference. The wedder is only 2mm, and the tapered part of the soli is less than that, yet the difference is still obvious. Frankly, it always bugged me slightly, too.

144838 - e-ring and wedder.jpeg

OMG, gorgeous!!! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results