shape
carat
color
clarity

14k or 18k yellow to set a K cushion in a halo?

cchloe

Shiny_Rock
I love the saturation of 18k yellow gold but should I set a K colored cushion in 14k seeing as it will minimize the yellow hue picked up by the diamond? Of course a white metal would minimize it the most but I am going for a warm colored diamond set in a warm metal look. The problem is, I'm not so crazy about the slightly tin foil look of 14k from what I see in photos.

Should I go for the 18k or will it make the K transform into a light yellow diamond? :confused:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi cchloe :wavey: !!!

What is the body color of the K cushion like? any fluorescence?
If you prong set it, you could have the prongs in platinum or white gold, and the balance of the setting in the YG carat you prefer.
If you bezel set it, you could also have the bezel be PT or WG, and the balance of the setting YG...

Kinda like the reverse of my avatar...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is the other theory that a lower color in white gold makes the yellow stand out because you can see the color difference
between the stone and white metal.

Either way I think you are safe with 14k yellow gold. I like 18k yellow gold. I'm going to post some pics of stones in 18k yellow
gold settings. Of course depending on the cut of your cushion it may/or may not show a lot of yellow.

I was going to recommend what PB just said. Why dont you use plat or white gold prongs if you are worrying about the color?

k_in_18k_yellow_gold_1.png

18_k_k_colored_stone_2.png

cchloe

Shiny_Rock
Hi PB :wavey: I see you've been a busy shopper during my absence :naughty: I wanted to ask you which yg you used for your marquise ring, it is beautiful! But of course I think your diamond is an E so if it is 18k then the contrast is amazing.

I am actually in the works of figuring out which diamond I want. Of course I have quite a few great options...

screen_shot_2016-08-10_at_9.png

The one I was leaning towards is a K that seems to have a peach undertone (has SBF too). Second from the top. But now we just threw in the one right below it into the mix. Seems to pull more pink/brown? Peach is more of a rectangle, pink is more square. Then there's the big one at the bottom but it is an M.. Love the size, not sure about the tint.

What to do :wall:

And tyty I've been scrutinizing all the yellow gold halos looking for the k's. They seem decent? But not many in the halo style to compare.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

cchloe

Shiny_Rock
PB that's actually what I wanted to do some time ago but I have so much RG jewelry and no YG, I'm really craving the yellow now. I'm torn between two stones though and i need ASET advice. I feel like if I post it here though it will forever disappear into the forgotten and ignored threads.

So for what's it's worth, which one do you think is the better performer? I want large facets and a pillowy look so I'm tempted to go for the top one but I'm afraid the light return images make it look like all the facets blend together since there are no contrasting ones :confused: Or neither.

screen_shot_2016-08-11_at_9.png

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think these cushions look large facet-y and pillowy. Can you give us your budget and we can look for K and warmer cushion options?

cchloe

Shiny_Rock
Here's the problem... I was shown a old mine brilliant (exactly what I was looking for) in the same carat size and I color. Beautiful. But twice the price of these two. And it even faces up much smaller :doh: They seem to be hard to come by and at a premium too.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Neither of them are large facet. And neither of them are good performers.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results