shape
carat
color
clarity

14k or 18k white gold

Murf

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I’m having a setting made, it’s a solitaire band will be fitted with a diamond. It’s going to be made in 14k white gold, but now I’m questioning if it was the right decision or not. Can anyone help me with the differences between 14k and 18k white gold pros and cons. I don’t have much experience in this any information would be of great help. Thank you.

Forgiven888

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I’m having a setting made, it’s a solitaire band will be fitted with a diamond. It’s going to be made in 14k white gold, but now I’m questioning if it was the right decision or not. Can anyone help me with the differences between 14k and 18k white gold pros and cons. I don’t have much experience in this any information would be of great help. Thank you.

They both have pros and cons. Here is a good link from Brian Gavin https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/news/difference-14k-18k-white-gold-engagement-ring/

I personally would choose 14k unless you have some type of allergy to metals.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I have 14k and chose it because it isn't as soft as 18k so a bit more durable as to everyday wear on the hand I do not have an allergy issue with metals but if you do this is definitely something you want to investigate and choose accordingly. I like the color of the 14k. And I love the luster! I had a platinum mounting for many years and while platinum is always wonderful, I have to say I really, really love the 14k and don't think I would ever go back to plat. Also, I love that 14k is not as heavy.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think the primary consideration for you might be the slightly brighter look of 18K vs. the more durable metal in 14K. Consider the daily-use environment and the potential damage, if minimal, 18K might be the way to go. But someone who works a lot with their hands or will be removing the ring often 14K May be more practical.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also consider the look of both options with their different alloys. For example, several of us love the slightly ‘whellow’ look of unplated white gold ... it’s almost a very slight ‘champagne’ sort of color vs the bright white color when rhodium plated.

I posted a bunch of thread links where PSers discuss various metals, pros & cons that you might want to look through for visuals if helpful: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/smtr-helpful-threads-archive.131796/page-3

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results