shape
carat
color
clarity

14k floating glass locket to wear your loose gems?

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I saw these on etsy and eBay - glass lockets that you can place your gems inside and wear. There are a lot of cheapie ones, but I've only found this style in 14k gold from one seller. They're rather expensive, @$700, to get in 14k, though there are much cheaper silver and base metal options out there.

I really had never thought of doing this, but I tend to keep many of my gems loose and unset for years. This could be a fun way to get to wear them around! I think people typically put inexpensive gems in these, but I'm wondering if it would be ok with finer gems too. My main worry would be the gems getting scratched up or harmed in some way by wearing them around like that. Is this a completely stupid idea? (Please feel free to say so, lol). Has anyone done this with your nicer gems? Any recommendations or warnings I should consider? I have to admit I'm tempted. I'm considering getting a cheap one, seeing if I like the look and how many gems can fit, etc (there are measurements listed for the lockets) and maybe then splurging on the 14k one.

Anyway, just thought I'd post this as possibly a fun way to wear our loose gems - I hadn't seen or considered this idea before. Might be a bit silly, but might work for someone. So I thought I'd post in case anyone likes the idea, or feels compelled to tell me that it's a terrible idea :D

_1307.png

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I LOVE that idea and it would be a great way to wear unset gems! Plus you could change them all the time to suit your mood or outfit.

Very interested to hear what the experts have to say about wearing gems this way. I guess they might all need to be around the same hardness/ MOHS?

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Desertrose|1470001251|4061138 said:
I LOVE that idea and it would be a great way to wear unset gems! Plus you could change them all the time to suit your mood or outfit.

Very interested to hear what the experts have to say about wearing gems this way. I guess they might all need to be around the same hardness/ MOHS?

Yes, that's what I was wondering!! I mean, the similar MOHS thing. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes the idea, at least in theory :)

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
katharath said:
Desertrose|1470001251|4061138 said:

Yes, that's what I was wondering!! I mean, the similar MOHS thing. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes the idea, at least in theory :)

What also needs to be considered is the Mohs of glass, around 5.5, I believe. Many gems would damage the glass of the locket and it would end up up being opaque from all the scratches.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Even if the stones are the same Moh, I would be worried about chipping and banging around.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. The stones will have to be fairly small for the L x W x D to fit
2. The loose stones might show some wear and tear / chip from rubbing / hitting each other
3. Not sure about the MOH of the stones vs the glass

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results