shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for Chunky Cushion Lover or any other cushion folks

RedRobbin

Shiny_Rock
Hi CCL, I was wondering if you think a Lucida is like a chunky cushion cut? I mean I know all about Tiffany's patents etc, but I'm just asking about how it looks. When I look at the pictures i think it looks a lot like a brilliant cushion or something akin to that. (Not that detailed macro shot, of course, but more like the hand shots; iow, what it looks like IRL). On my hand it looks sort of pillowy too. Just wondering how you'd characterize it.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Question for Chunky Cushion Lover or any other cushion f

Yap, looks like a cushion brilliant to me. The main pavilions are too thin to be chunky IMO.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Not CCL but its not a chunky to me.

RedRobbin

Shiny_Rock

Stone-cold11 said:
Yap, looks like a cushion brilliant to me. The main pavilions are too thin to be chunky IMO.

Thanks. So it would be cushion but not chunky cushion? Thanks again.

RedRobbin

Shiny_Rock

tyty333 said:

Still a cushion or not really? It's a strange cut. Lots of fire. Lots of brilliance. Not a princess. I don't totally get it. I like what I see, I am just trying to understand it. Thanks

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock

RedRobbin said:
tyty333 said:

Still a cushion or not really? It's a strange cut. Lots of fire. Lots of brilliance. Not a princess. I don't totally get it. I like what I see, I am just trying to understand it. Thanks

"In 1999 Tiffany & Co. introduced and started promoting Lucida™ diamond cut. Lucida™ was designed to target a new customer seeking a more contemporary look. The cut was launched in New York City in September 1999 at a gala party at the Sky Club, with a Tiffany Blue light show brightening the Manhattan skylight. For the evening's event, model Christy Turlington was chosen as the woman reflective the cut - classic yet contemporary. The worldwide launch was backed by an extensive advertising campaign highlighting not only the patented diamond cut but also the distinctive setting.

According to Tiffany it is reminiscent of the Asscher and antique cushion cuts. Termed a "modern classic" by Tiffany, the shape is a square mixed cut. It has 50 facets, a high crown, stepped facets, wide corners and a small table, with a deep pavilion. Using a combination of step cut and a brilliant faceting on the pavilion, the cut produces a contemporary version of the cushion."

Source:
http://www.diamondsourceva.com/Education/Shape/diamonds-shape-lucida-cut.asp

This type of cut is more modern and has medium to small sized flashes, in contrast to the vintage style of a chunky cushion.

RedRobbin

Shiny_Rock

Thanks!. Doesn't look like an Asscher to me at all. Thank you for the information. :)

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

The crown is step cut like an Asscher.

RedRobbin

Shiny_Rock

That's true. In that sense it is like one. Thanks.

E B

Ideal_Rock

I'm confused- how would it be considered a cushion in any way? The corners look clipped, so wouldn't it be, if put into a common category, a square radiant?

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock

E B said:
I'm confused- how would it be considered a cushion in any way? The corners look clipped, so wouldn't it be, if put into a common category, a square radiant?

Its closest to a cut cornered square brilliant. I wouldn't use the term radiant as that implies a particular modified 4 main pavilion structure, whereas this one is closest to an 8 main brilliant style without the extra breaks near the lower girdle.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

ChunkyCushionLover said:
E B said:

Its closest to a cut cornered square brilliant. I wouldn't use the term radiant as that implies a particular modified 4 main pavilion structure, whereas this one is closest to an 8 main brilliant style without the extra breaks near the lower girdle.

If you mean extra breaks as in a row of facets just under the girdle on the pavilion?
If so..., its there, just the facet design conceals it nicely and smartly.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock

DiaGem said:
ChunkyCushionLover said:
E B said:

If you mean extra breaks as in a row of facets just under the girdle on the pavilion?

Thanks for the correction that is what I meant. Why do you think the design called for the step on the pavilion as well?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

ChunkyCushionLover said:
DiaGem said:
ChunkyCushionLover said:
E B said:

Thanks for the correction that is what I meant. Why do you think the design called for the step on the pavilion as well?

Contrary to most so called cut 'patents' out there, the Lucida is protected by both utility & design patents. To properly execute the pavilion facet design a stepped pavilion is required. I actually compliment the former (1998-1999) Tiffany team in their ability to come up with a genuine innovation in pavilion facet designs

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

Looks nothing like a chunky cushion to me. Completely different feel.

RedRobbin

Shiny_Rock

DiaGem said:
ChunkyCushionLover said:
DiaGem said:
ChunkyCushionLover said:
E B said:

Contrary to most so called cut 'patents' out there, the Lucida is protected by both utility & design patents. To properly execute the pavilion facet design a stepped pavilion is required. I actually compliment the former (1998-1999) Tiffany team in their ability to come up with a genuine innovation in pavilion facet designs

Very interesting history there. Thank you for that. I love my diamond. It is so very different from what I have seen before. Thank you for your insight.

ETA: Diamgem, do you believe that it is like a cushion brilliant or do you think it is not like a cushion cut of any sort? Thank you again.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

Unrelated to the discussion but your diamond prompt me to go to T&CO this past weekend to look at the Lucida. Yours is a gorgeous speciem.

RedRobbin

Shiny_Rock

CharmyPoo said:
Unrelated to the discussion but your diamond prompt me to go to T&CO this past weekend to look at the Lucida. Yours is a gorgeous speciem.

Thank you Charmy. How did you enjoy trying them on? I just think it's so pretty. As is yours! In fact I just gave it a little bump over at SMTB because it's so gorgeous. Maytal perfected and modernized an American classic. Beautiful. Congratulations again!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

I think they are very nice but to be honest I never paid much attention until I saw your diamond. I was really hoping to try on some split shank Lucidas but they said it was only a statement piece and will not be mass produced. I saw it once in the NYC flagship store.

RedRobbin

Shiny_Rock

Usually whenever I've seen them in the store they are around 1 carat, maybe a little less, which makes it hard to see the cut since it's so deep.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

RedRobbin said:
ETA: Diamgem, do you believe that it is like a cushion brilliant or do you think it is not like a cushion cut of any sort? Thank you again.

The facet design of the Lucida is not complimentary on the rounded shape of the Cushion.
So I dont see a connection between the two.

RedRobbin

Shiny_Rock

Thank you! I appreciate the insight.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If I was trying to descibe it to someone (say over the phone)...I would say it was kind of like a cross between a
cut corner square brilliant (like CCL said) and a square cushion H&A. Or I would just say its one hunk of a gorgeous stone :bigsmile: .

Here is a cut corner square brilliant:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3852/
Here is a square cushion h&A:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7206/

BTW: I know nothing about faceting patterns of square stones...I'm just going by whay my eyes see.

RedRobbin

Shiny_Rock

tyty333 said:
If I was trying to descibe it to someone (say over the phone)...I would say it was kind of like a cross between a
cut corner square brilliant (like CCL said) and a square cushion H&A. Or I would just say its one hunk of a gorgeous stone :bigsmile: .

Here is a cut corner square brilliant:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3852/
Here is a square cushion h&A:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7206/

BTW: I know nothing about faceting patterns of square stones...I'm just going by whay my eyes see.

I like that description! Thanks. :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results