shape
carat
color
clarity

white topaz vs white sapphire

nicholerh

Rough_Rock
So I've told my husband that I would like some diamond stud earrings but without the price tag of the diamond part. Because of this I'm looking at white topaz or white sapphire. They'd be set in a yellow gold bezel setting. Which stone would you pick and why? I'm open to suggestions if you have other ideas for stone types besides those two.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I'd go for white zircons. They have a high refractive index and dispersion, and as such are probably the best visual diamond simulant of any naturally occurring stone. Since they're going to be earrings and not rings, the concern about durability/facet wear isn't a huge factor.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are many synthetic white sapphires being sold as natural, so I would probably stay away from them, unless you don't care if they're synthetic and you're not paying too much. Topaz is a very low RI stone and therefore, not very "diamond like" in it's appearance. I agree that white zircons would be a good simulant in earrings.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d go with white zircons as well; they have high RI that will show more dispersion than white sapphires and topaz.

nicholerh

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the zircon advice. I hadn't even thought about that, but that's why I came here and asked. Do you guys know of any good sources for white zircons? I've been talking to a couple of folks on etsy and will find out if they have access to those stones as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results