shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Garmin GPS (as a gift)

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
DH surprised me and got me an amazing gift for my birthday. Our birthdays are only weeks apart and while I can''t match the level of his gift, I''d like to at least get something he wants and would appreciate. Right now I have it down to a GPS (with Kindle as my back up option).

So, does anyone have any expertise on which of the Garmin GPS''s are best and what are the deciding factors? I know he does want voice activated and a Garmin and that''s all I know! Is this sometihng that he really should be involved in buying or is it a good surprise gift? Thanks!!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
If you know what his requirements are, I think it's a great surprise gift. There are plenty of GPS review websites that will tell you which features come with each Garmin, and since I got mine a few years ago I'm not much help.

Just keep in mind that you can get a Garmin from $300-800. There's a huge range, so I would recommend buying an older model. The one I got had been out for more than a year, and only cost $350 because there were a some newer models. However, it got amazing reviews, and read out street names (the big feature I really wanted) and it was a nice small size. The $800 models didn't really offer any extras that I thought were important.

eta: I forgot to mention that I have the Nuvi 350. I adore it and it was (maybe still is?) the highest rated Garmin unit for years. It's not voice activated though.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
We have the Garmin Nuvi 250 and the 255 (both Wide I think). The only difference is how they SAY the directions outloud. For example, both screens will SHOW "Turn left on maple" with a distance. However, the 250 will say out loud "Turn Left" when it''s time to turn, and the 255 will say "Turn left on maple." I didn''t think this ways a big deal or would make that much of a difference (or worth the $40 price difference when I just bought the 250), but after using it, I really miss the feature.

(We bought the 250 because we''re moving to Florida and dh and I have to drive separately and didn''t want to have to follow each other closely for the 16 hour drive).

I think there are a lot of more high-end options...the 250 is the most basic I think. But I really like the 255 and can''t think of anything I would want it to do that it doesn''t, but I''ve never used a higher end one either so I don''t know what I''m missing.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know about the Garmin models, but I can say that my best friend gave me a Garmin as a wedding gift and I LOVE IT!!!! It isn't voice activated or anything, but it's been great. Very reliable. I think it's a great gift!

I call my Garmin "Cynthia" because she does get a bit persnipity with me when I miss a turn, and she just has a sort of b*tchy voice. For whatever reason, Cyntha seems to fit. We have our fights, but we always make up in the end.
9.gif
She hasn't steered me wrong yet.

I believe she's a Nuvi 200. Or something like that.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/23/2010 4:34:02 PM
Author:janinegirly
DH surprised me and got me an amazing gift for my birthday. Our birthdays are only weeks apart and while I can't match the level of his gift, I'd like to at least get something he wants and would appreciate. Right now I have it down to a GPS (with Kindle as my back up option).

So, does anyone have any expertise on which of the Garmin GPS's are best and what are the deciding factors? I know he does want voice activated and a Garmin and that's all I know! Is this sometihng that he really should be involved in buying or is it a good surprise gift? Thanks!!
model #855
2.gif
2 months ago i bought a 255W from Amazon for $99.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results