shape
carat
color
clarity

Does your kitty pat the water before drinking?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its really cute when Gracie does it but I would love to know why!

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
It is not so cute!!!! Because my kitty SWIMS in the water with her paws and get the water EVERYWHERE!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Emma sticks her paw in and shakes it. All over the floor. Usually after she''s been in the kitty litter, so then we have clay in the water, and muddy prints on the tile floor.

Yeah, cute. Really cute.

2.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awww, its still cute!
9.gif

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep! I find this so darn cute. My guess is they do it because the water is clear and it doesn't have a scent, so they want to make sure something is actually there!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2010 8:33:29 PM
Author: Laila619
Yep! I find this so darn cute. My guess is they do it because the water is clear and it doesn''t have a scent, so they want to make sure something is actually there!
Yes! That makes sense!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
My dads kitty, Poofy, will stick her paw in the water, then lick her paw, then stick her paw back in, and lick it again...over and over and over lol.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s a depth perception issue. They want to know the water level.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2010 8:47:30 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
My dads kitty, Poofy, will stick her paw in the water, then lick her paw, then stick her paw back in, and lick it again...over and over and over lol.
now thats cute!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2010 8:55:13 PM
Author: lulu
Does she think she might fall in?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Some of mine do!

My no-so-smart ones have inhaled water before, and started snorting water out of their noses. The smart ones learned and started patting the water. The no-so-smart ones still snort water every once in a while.
38.gif

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2010 9:05:42 PM
Author: Maisie

Date: 3/17/2010 8:55:13 PM
Author: lulu
Does she think she might fall in?
No, I think they just don''t want their whole face in the water.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
our boy pats it, then dips his paw in and licks it off - a bunch of times. He dips his paw into drinks we leave lying around too, so we've learnt to cover everything up.

I keep thinking about all the litter he's probably leaving in there
14.gif
the other two are okay with it though.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
this is a funny topic to come home to today - kitties are so cute but I"m glad it''s not my floor they''re shaking water all over :)

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
When they were kittens, I had several that would stand with one paw in the water so they wouldn''t snort it up their nose - once they learned how to judge the depth, they stopped doing it.

And as mean as it probably is, I laughed SO hard when my last kitty plunged her whole little face repeatedly into her water dish trying to get a drink, and promptly began sneezing. And then she would meow in annoyance because she couldn''t properly get a drink. Poor baby.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/17/2010 10:42:41 PM
When they were kittens, I had several that would stand with one paw in the water so they wouldn''t snort it up their nose - once they learned how to judge the depth, they stopped doing it.

And as mean as it probably is, I laughed SO hard when my last kitty plunged her whole little face repeatedly into her water dish trying to get a drink, and promptly began sneezing. And then she would meow in annoyance because she couldn''t properly get a drink. Poor baby.
awww
9.gif

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
My cat will stick her paw in the water and lick her paw off and will keep repeating this as long as she needs/wishes to. It seems to me to be a very inefficient way of drinking!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Our cat just sticks his face close to the water until his whiskers brush the surface, then drinks. But his drinking sounds like SLUUURP SLURP SLURP *pause* SLUUURP SLURP SLURP...he has no manners whatsoever!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They might do it to see whether the water is warm or cool.

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
how cute!
30.gif

i read somewhere that since cats have a preference for fresh oxygenated water, and they find moving water appealing to their sense of hearing and sight. i guess that's why most cats like drinking water from a faucet.

i've never seen my 2 cats paw at water, but then again, i hardly ever see them drinking it either. i feed them a raw diet and sometimes a good-quality canned food, so maybe that's why. although the few times i have seen them, they just drink straight from their water fountain bowl.
2.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was thinking of a fountain for Gracie. I might do some research. I think she would like one but I suspect she might play with the water!

waxing lyrical

Shiny_Rock
My kitty does it. Totally cute.

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 9:16:07 AM
I was thinking of a fountain for Gracie. I might do some research. I think she would like one but I suspect she might play with the water!

not to threadjack, but i think Gracie is such a beautiful kitty! i love looking at your avatar!
9.gif

on another note, if you're looking into water fountains, i have and really like Petmate's Fresh Flow. mostly because the water flows down a slide of some sort, so it's very quiet. some of my friends have tried other kinds of fountains and said that since you can hear the water, it makes them want to go pee.
2.gif
i've also heard good things about Drinkwell's 360 fountain.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve noticed our cats doing it too, but the thing they do that annoys me is moving the water bowl to the middle of the kitchen for some reason. Every day, I come home and I can almost guarantee that I''ll have to clean up the spilled water. I''ve never caught them doing it though.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 9:32:15 AM
Author: vip0802

Date: 3/18/2010 9:16:07 AM

not to threadjack, but i think Gracie is such a beautiful kitty! i love looking at your avatar!
9.gif

on another note, if you''re looking into water fountains, i have and really like Petmate''s Fresh Flow. mostly because the water flows down a slide of some sort, so it''s very quiet. some of my friends have tried other kinds of fountains and said that since you can hear the water, it makes them want to go pee.
2.gif
i''ve also heard good things about Drinkwell''s 360 fountain.
Thank you! She is very beautiful!
30.gif

I think I would want to go pee if I hear water trickling all the time! I will be sure to get a quiet one! Good point!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/17/2010 8:47:30 PM
obsessive catpulsive!
emcat.gif
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results