shape
carat
color
clarity

People who refer to their boyfriend as their husband...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Do you find this confusing at all?

I have a lot of friends on my Facebook I don''t see in real life often, or haven''t in a long time. A few of my friends have left messages up like "Waiting for my hubby to get home!" or "I have the best husband in the world!"

So naturally, I say something like "Congrats, when did you get married?!" and am told that they are not married but that they consider their boyfriend their husband.

Am I old? Is this done now? Should I just not say anything at all? If a friend has gotten married I would like to at least say congratulations because that is a major life step, but then I feel like an idiot when it turns out they aren''t married. This has happened to me twice already and I haven''t said anything to anyone since, unless I was PRESENT at their wedding.

BLAH!
14.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have NEVER heard of this. Maybe saying partner but not husband/wife unless married. How odd. Wonder if their boyfriends are their FB friend and know they refer to them as their husbands. I must be old too.
3.gif

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
when both my aunt and uncle were alive (they both died in their 40''s) they had been together since they were teenagers. They were hippies and never got married but considered themselves husband and wife. They felt
like a piece of paper wasn''t going to make a difference. They went out to have 4 children and in their 30+ yr relationship. Even though they weren''t legally married, I considered him my uncle. He was there for me since day one and treated me like family.

Maybe some ppl are just against that piece of paper?

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 9:17:44 AM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I have NEVER heard of this. Maybe saying partner but not husband/wife unless married. How odd. Wonder if their boyfriends are their FB friend and know they refer to them as their husbands. I must be old too.
3.gif

I totally feel old. Put me out to pasture!

It''s like "hubby" is the new word for boyfriend and "wifey" is the new word for girlfriend.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 9:20:40 AM
Author: atroop711
when both my aunt and uncle were alive (they both died in their 40''s) they had been together since they were teenagers. They were hippies and never got married but considered themselves husband and wife. They felt

like a piece of paper wasn''t going to make a difference. They went out to have 4 children and in their 30+ yr relationship. Even though they weren''t legally married, I considered him my uncle. He was there for me since day one and treated me like family.

Maybe some ppl are just against that piece of paper?

I get being against that piece of paper and that''s fine. I have many happily non-legally co-habituating friends and relatives. But would your aunt and uncle have been offended if someone asked them when they had gotten married, not knowing their views on marriage?

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
This is interesting timing because I am faced with a similar situation, but it''s a bit more complicated and I''d like some feedback, really not sure what to do. I almost started a thread about it myself...but it may fit here.

My DH and I met a nice couple at our church about a year ago...they let on that they are married, they live together, he was ''divorced'' and has 3 kids with that ''ex-wife'' and they wanted to try to have more kids. On this woman''s FB page, she lists herself as married and has her name hyphenated and talks about her wonderful husband and how happy they are, etc.

My DH got to know this couple pretty well, through various church activities they were all in together... I have just recently gotten to know her a little better, but we are not ''close'' friends. But, she had confided in my DH a couple of months ago, that she and her ''husband'' are not married, he is still legally married to his first wife and they''ve been living together for over 15 years, telling people they are married.

I guess his first wife had refused to sign divorce papers, so they just went on with their lives as a married couple.

My problem with this is, that I guess the first wife is finally going to sign the divorce papers and the new ''wife'' now wants a ''wedding'' at our church, with a dress, etc. and has been asking me to help her plan things! She wants me to go dress shopping with her, asking for advice, etc. She''s acting like a giddy bride, when in reality she''s been living with this guy for a long time already, as his ''wife''.

I just don''t feel right about the whole situation and am not sure what to do. I really don''t know the details either...but it doesn''t sit right with me. I don''t plan to actively participate in her plans, but she''s already asked us to save the date of their wedding open!

Any advice?

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 9:32:48 AM
Author: Ara Ann
This is interesting timing because I am faced with a similar situation, but it''s a bit more complicated and I''d like some feedback, really not sure what to do. I almost started a thread about it myself...but it may fit here.

My DH and I met a nice couple at our church about a year ago...they let on that they are married, they live together, he was ''divorced'' and has 3 kids with that ''ex-wife'' and they wanted to try to have more kids. On this woman''s FB page, she lists herself as married and has her name hyphenated and talks about her wonderful husband and how happy they are, etc.

My DH got to know this couple pretty well, through various church activities they were all in together... I have just recently gotten to know her a little better, but we are not ''close'' friends. But, she had confided in my DH a couple of months ago, that she and her ''husband'' are not married, he is still legally married to his first wife and they''ve been living together for over 15 years, telling people they are married.

I guess his first wife had refused to sign divorce papers, so they just went on with their lives as a married couple.

My problem with this is, that I guess the first wife is finally going to sign the divorce papers and the new ''wife'' now wants a ''wedding'' at our church, with a dress, etc. and has been asking me to help her plan things! She wants me to go dress shopping with her, asking for advice, etc. She''s acting like a giddy bride, when in reality she''s been living with this guy for a long time already, as his ''wife''.

I just don''t feel right about the whole situation and am not sure what to do. I really don''t know the details either...but it doesn''t sit right with me. I don''t plan to actively participate in her plans, but she''s already asked us to save the date of their wedding open!

Any advice?

Not to take away from anyone''s happiness. I understand that some things can''t be helped. People fall in love, things happen. But the deception surrounding their relationship wouldn''t sit right with me either, especially if I was led to believe they were married the whole time I knew them.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Ditto Tacori.

It is very odd to me. It''s like they''re taking a serious commitment lightly and temporarily.

PA~ I don''t have facebook so I don''t know the proper protocol. "Knowing" you on here, I''m sure you''ll say whatever comes to mind at that point. But, I don''t think it''s wrong in anyway to comment on a "marriage." You''d just end up offending the ONE person who really did get married, ya know??

Ara~ I think you''re uncomfortable because you feel you''ve been made part of the "lie." I get that. But, if they truly were WAITING for the papers for 15 years, it''s not like they could''ve gotten married sooner. It was probably much easier to say they were married. It doesn''t appear as if you''re close with the woman so I''m not sure why she''d want you to do so much for the wedding. I don''t think you should hold "living in sin" against her, but if you''re uncomfortable with taking part, just decline politely and then expect the friendship to stale.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 9:40:16 AM
Author: PinkAsscher678

Any advice?

Not to take away from anyone''s happiness. I understand that some things can''t be helped. People fall in love, things happen. But the deception surrounding their relationship wouldn''t sit right with me either, especially if I was led to believe they were married the whole time I knew them.

Exactly.

As a married woman myself, I just keep wondering about his first wife and feel bad for her. She wanted to make things work, they had three kids together...but this new ''bride'' (who was his old flame before he married first wife) comes along back into his life. I guess I just wonder if he''d have worked it out with his wife, if the new woman hadn''t been in his home, being his pseudo wife.

I know it sounds awfully judgmental, but yeah, the whole ''husband and wife'' facade, especially within a church setting, really irked me and now I don''t feel I can trust either of them.

Yes, I can be happy for them, but ya know, a private ceremony with the pastor would be a lot more fitting in this case, than a wedding with a dress, etc. I just don''t like the deception and am really uncomfortable being a part of it, even as a guest.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 9:44:39 AM
Author: somethingshiny

Ara~ I think you''re uncomfortable because you feel you''ve been made part of the ''lie.'' I get that. But, if they truly were WAITING for the papers for 15 years, it''s not like they could''ve gotten married sooner. It was probably much easier to say they were married. It doesn''t appear as if you''re close with the woman so I''m not sure why she''d want you to do so much for the wedding. I don''t think you should hold ''living in sin'' against her, but if you''re uncomfortable with taking part, just decline politely and then expect the friendship to stale.

Yeah, we aren''t close, but it''s like she''s trying to gain approval from me for some reason. She doesn''t have many close friends and seems like she''s trying to make me a close friend by including me in their plans, but it just makes me uncomfortable.

My DH is closer to her and her ''husband''/to be than I am, so I''m not too concerned about the friendship. I am not sure if I can trust her anyway.

And it''s not so much the living in sin that bothers me...it''s the deception, then wanting the ''big hoopla'' of a wedding after that and again, we''re talking within a church setting... I guess I''d be more quiet about the whole thing at this point. I just don''t understand it.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I''ve never known anyone to do this, and would find it odd if they did.

I had a coworker who I was good friends with when I just started working, but she was about 15 years older than me. When I met her, I had a serious boyfriend, who then became my fiance, and we were engaged for 2 years before we got married. She always mistakenly referred to him as my husband all the time before we actually got married. I found it odd even though I''m sure it was just because most of her friends were married and had been for years, but I eventually started correcting her and then she would catch herself doing it.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
ara~ I agree that the wedding should be quick and simple, not a church extravaganza, if for nothing else than to save face. Maybe you could suggest they elope on a cruise or something.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 10:00:55 AM
Author: somethingshiny
ara~ I agree that the wedding should be quick and simple, not a church extravaganza, if for nothing else than to save face. Maybe you could suggest they elope on a cruise or something.

Thanks ''SS''.

I''d love to suggest they elope, but she''s already got her heart set on a church wedding. Pretty sure it''s going to happen, unless wife #1 holds the divorce up again.

Just a sticky and uncomfortable situation for me and DH too, since he sees her often at church and she goes out of her way to seek me out when I''m there (and on FB too).

Again, I understand she''s happy to finally be getting married after so long, and I am happy for her/them, but the wedding is just in bad taste, IMO.

They had made a decision a long time ago to live as ''husband and wife'' - so it just seems odd they want all the attention drawn to them at this point.

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm... how old are the people? I will chime in as a college student here and say that I normally only see people saying that their "wife" or "wifey" (coming from girls) are hanging out or they are the best... as in their wife is their best friend. I think I can only think of one instance where a girl referred to her boyfriend as her husband.

I think it might be a generational thing but to tell you the truth I find it completely ridiculous and confusing when it''s just for fun. But that just might be because I take the whole marriage thing with my own boyfriend very serious.

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
Some states recognize common law marriage, and one of the standards for getting cohabitation upgraded to common law is presenting yourself as married, lol. So maybe those gals are not s dumb. Might give her some power over his or joint assets in the event of a breakup. http://www.expertlaw.com/library/family_law/common_law.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common-law_marriage
Almost all U.S. states recognize common-law marriages validly entered into at a time and place where common-law marriage was recognized, although some impose certain public-policy exceptions to the recognition of common-law marriages involving minors or persons who would not be entitled to marry in that state for some reason. A common law marriage occurring under military law is not binding on the non-military spouse (if a mixed marriage) and therefore unlikely to be recognized by some jurisdictions.

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
This is interesting timing because I am faced with a similar situation, but it's a bit more complicated and I'd like some feedback, really not sure what to do. I almost started a thread about it myself...but it may fit here.

My DH and I met a nice couple at our church about a year ago...they let on that they are married, they live together, he was 'divorced' and has 3 kids with that 'ex-wife' and they wanted to try to have more kids. On this woman's FB page, she lists herself as married and has her name hyphenated and talks about her wonderful husband and how happy they are, etc.

My DH got to know this couple pretty well, through various church activities they were all in together... I have just recently gotten to know her a little better, but we are not 'close' friends. But, she had confided in my DH a couple of months ago, that she and her 'husband' are not married, he is still legally married to his first wife and they've been living together for over 15 years, telling people they are married.

My problem with this is, that I guess the first wife is finally going to sign the divorce papers and the new 'wife' now wants a 'wedding' at our church, with a dress, etc. and has been asking me to help her plan things! She wants me to go dress shopping with her, asking for advice, etc. She's acting like a giddy bride, when in reality she's been living with this guy for a long time already, as his 'wife'.

I just don't feel right about the whole situation and am not sure what to do. I really don't know the details either...but it doesn't sit right with me. I don't plan to actively participate in her plans, but she's already asked us to save the date of their wedding open!

Any advice?

Why do you have a problem with it?
You haven't known them that long - and they were honest with you. It's no ones business if they are married or not. If they have been living as a family for 15 years, perhaps by common law (depending on what state you live in) - they are married. They are obviously committed to each other, active in the community - church members etc., what is the problem? So what they tell people they are married - they have been living together as a family longer than most married couples do. You should be thrilled for her that this day has finally come and celebrate with her. IMO.

So, because she has been living with him - she doesn't deserve to be excited about a wedding? Huh? She loves and has committed herself to this man and his children for 15 years and doesn't deserve to be giddy about finally being able to have a wedding ceremony?!

You are actually considering NOT going to her wedding because of this? I don't get it. You even said you aren't that close with her - it's not like she was a dear friend for years that was telling you some big lie that affected your life in ANY way.

I think you are being very judgmental.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband and I have been married almost two years now but he''s been calling me his "wifey" ever since we were engaged...

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 10:32:10 AM
Author: waterlilly

Any advice?

Why do you have a problem with it?

You haven''t known them that long - and they were honest with you. It''s no ones business if they are married or not. If they have been living as a family for 15 years, perhaps by common law (depending on what state you live in) - they are married. They are obviously committed to each other, active in the community - church members etc., what is the problem? So what they tell people they are married - they have been living together as a family longer than most married couples do. You should be thrilled for her that this day has finally come and celebrate with her. IMO.

So, because she has been living with him - she doesn''t deserve to be excited about a wedding? Huh? She loves and has committed herself to this man and his children for 15 years and doesn''t deserve to be giddy about finally being able to have a wedding ceremony?!

You are actually considering NOT going to her wedding because of this? I don''t get it. You even said you aren''t that close with her - it''s not like she was a dear friend for years that was telling you some big lie that affected your life in some way.

I think you are being very judgmental.

Yes, I do have a problem with their lying to everyone at church about being married when they weren''t.

I have known her about a year and within that year, she talked on and on about how wonderful her husband is, how great it is to be married to such a wonderful man, on and on about being married to him. I had no reason to doubt her story of course. I just recently found out, within the last 2 months they weren''t married and his is not divorced from his first wife.

She deliberately led on that they were married and spoke of it many times. No one forced her to talk on and on about her husband, she did that willingly and purposefully.

I do not doubt her commitment to her soon to be husband, but I don''t want to be a part of her plans either. That is not being judgmental, I am reacting to her part in the deception.

If they do get married, I am happy for them. But I don''t have to be happy that she lied to me over and over about it.

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 10:45:44 AM

Yes, I do have a problem with their lying to everyone at church about being married when they weren''t.

I have known her about a year and within that year, she talked on and on about how wonderful her husband is, how great it is to be married to such a wonderful man, on and on about being married to him. I had no reason to doubt her story of course. I just recently found out, within the last 2 months they weren''t married and his is not divorced from his first wife.

She deliberately led on that they were married and spoke of it many times. No one forced her to talk on and on about her husband, she did that willingly and purposefully.

I do not doubt her commitment to her soon to be husband, but I don''t want to be a part of her plans either. That is not being judgmental, I am reacting to her part in the deception.

If they do get married, I am happy for them. But I don''t have to be happy that she lied to me over and over about it.

Doubt it. Who does that? Goes on and on about their husband and marriage?

If honesty is the big issue - are you going to be honest and tell her how you feel? Might they be married by common law? What state are you - or have they spent the majority of their lives in?

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 10:39:01 AM
Author: Asscherhalo_lover
My husband and I have been married almost two years now but he''s been calling me his ''wifey'' ever since we were engaged...

I''m not saying there is anything wrong with it either way, only that it''s confusing when a couple who have no plans to marry (unlike you and your husband) refer to each other as husband and wife. It made me feel like a jerk asking when they had gotten married. I wasn''t trying to say "You should be married if you are telling people you have a husband" but it came across that way in my mind.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 10:56:15 AM
Date: 3/13/2010 10:45:44 AM

Doubt it. Who does that? Goes on and on about their husband and marriage?

If honesty is the big issue - are you going to be honest and tell her how you feel? Might they be married by common law? What state are you - or have they spent the majority of their lives in?

I am going to have to discuss this with her at some point, since she keeps approaching me with wedding stuff. But it''s not going to be easy. Despite all of this, I don''t want to hurt her feelings either, but yeah, just not sure what I''m going to say to her. Going to be awkward either way. She and my DH are involved in the same church groups, and have been friends and I don''t want to cause more tension or drama for him too.

I''d rather not mention the state, for privacy reasons, but no, there is no legal common law marriage here...and would any state recognize a common law marriage if one person was still legally married to someone else? I wouldn''t think so.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I can appreciate your not being happy about the deception - no one likes being lied to or fooled. I do however, think that they (like all other couples) have every right to whatever type of wedding they want in any setting that would allow them to marry. As I understand it, some churches have very strict rules - but if your church will honour their marriage (regardless of the 15 years of "living in sin") with a formal wedding ceremony, I do not see how that would be a problem for you. It sounds as though you are upset about more than just the deception and this is offending some of your basic beliefs and values.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 11:36:55 AM
Author: Maevie
I can appreciate your not being happy about the deception - no one likes being lied to or fooled. I do however, think that they (like all other couples) have every right to whatever type of wedding they want in any setting that would allow them to marry. As I understand it, some churches have very strict rules - but if your church will honour their marriage (regardless of the 15 years of ''living in sin'') with a formal wedding ceremony, I do not see how that would be a problem for you. It sounds as though you are upset about more than just the deception and this is offending some of your basic beliefs and values.

Our pastor is the one who encouraged him to try again for a divorce, so they could legally marry, because he was concerned about their unmarried status becoming public knowledge, given the fact that she is in a leadership role with small children in the church and some parents may have been upset by that.

I am not denying them the right to marry how they want to, however I am not comfortable participating in their plans for a big church wedding, after being deceived by her. That''s what I have issue with. If I had found out they weren''t married, as a bystander, and had not been approached to be a part of helping her choose her dress, etc., then I''d be far less uncomfortable about the whole thing.

I think because she is friends with my husband, she feels we are closer friends than what we actually are and wants to include me in her plans. I just don''t get it and it doesn''t feel ''right'' to me on several levels, not just their marriage plans, but the whole relationship with her is just a little awkward.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I was just coming back here to post again to make sure you didn''t take my previous post the wrong way - I wasn''t intending to be critical but perhaps to suggest that for you, this goes beyond the deception.

But I got here in time to read your reply!
36.gif
Given what you''ve said, I think that trying to graciously bow out of any involvement in the wedding and planning would be the best idea for you. You''re not obliged to be her "good friend" if you don''t want to!

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 11:54:19 AM
Author: Maevie
I was just coming back here to post again to make sure you didn''t take my previous post the wrong way - I wasn''t intending to be critical but perhaps to suggest that for you, this goes beyond the deception.

But I got here in time to read your reply!
36.gif
Given what you''ve said, I think that trying to graciously bow out of any involvement in the wedding and planning would be the best idea for you. You''re not obliged to be her ''good friend'' if you don''t want to!

Thank you for your reply and advice!

And I think that''s the best course of action, to be honest while trying to not hurt her feelings and bow out as gracefully as possible.

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
I am actually someone who hyphenated my then boyfriend''s last name with mine[on facebook]. For over three years of us dating, his last name was attached to mine on facebook. Everyone that knew us, saw us that way, and he liked it. A few times, I told him I should take it off and he said no, because he liked it. I told him I would take it off when we were engaged, which I did.

Before being engaged, I was asked a few times by people who hadn''t spoken to me in a while. I didn''t mind it at all. I liked it and jokingly said, we''re not married YET.

Even though I had his last name there I didn''t call him my husband anywhere. He was still my bf, but on facebook it was on there.

Now that we''re engaged, having been together about 5 years now, he does feel as much of a husband as a husband can be. We now do refer to eachother as husband and wife and I don''t correct anyone (like our realtor) when they refer to him/me as such. In our minds, we are married, due to our commitment to one another and that our lives are carried on with each other as the ultimate partner. Yes, we know we''re not ACTUALLY married.

I don''t think you should be worried about asking someone that question. If they were like me, they''d be "flattered" by it, and be happy to say something about not being married yet.
4.gif

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
PinkAsscher, I have no idea what this is about. One of my younger co-workers used to list herself on FB as being married to her boyfriend instead of "in a relationship" but then she changed it back. Never asked why, but I definitely thought it was odd. I've never seen anyone else do it.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 12:07:54 PM
Author: Octavia
PinkAsscher, I have no idea what this is about. One of my younger co-workers used to list herself on FB as being married to her boyfriend instead of ''in a relationship'' but then she changed it back. Never asked why, but I definitely thought it was odd. I''ve never seen anyone else do it.

You have no idea what my question is about? Or no idea why people call their boyfriends "hubby" or girlfriends "my wife" if they aren''t married?

To clarify: A few of my friends refer to their boyfriend/girlfriend as their spouse even though they are not married. I mistakenly congratulated a few of my friends on weddings which have not happened. I see this happen quite a bit, more with my younger friends (college age).

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 12:14:38 PM

PinkAsscher, I have no idea what this is about. One of my younger co-workers used to list herself on FB as being married to her boyfriend instead of 'in a relationship' but then she changed it back. Never asked why, but I definitely thought it was odd. I've never seen anyone else do it.

You have no idea what my question is about? Or no idea why people call their boyfriends 'hubby' or girlfriends 'my wife' if they aren't married?

Haha, I meant I have no idea what people are thinking when they do that. I understood exactly what you were saying!

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 12:27:10 PM
Date: 3/13/2010 12:14:38 PM

PinkAsscher, I have no idea what this is about. One of my younger co-workers used to list herself on FB as being married to her boyfriend instead of ''in a relationship'' but then she changed it back. Never asked why, but I definitely thought it was odd. I''ve never seen anyone else do it.

You have no idea what my question is about? Or no idea why people call their boyfriends ''hubby'' or girlfriends ''my wife'' if they aren''t married?

Haha, I meant I have no idea what people are thinking when they do that. I understood exactly what you were saying!

Oh, ok haha I thought maybe I explained the question in a weird way!
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results