shape
carat
color
clarity

Vintage Ring - Setting Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jeneerachelle

Rough_Rock
Trade
Need advice on mounting the solitaire in this ring in new setting. This ring was my SO''s grandmothers. She received it in 1936, although I''m not sure of the original year it was made. The band is bent from many years of wear, which you can''t see in this pic. It also hasn''t been cleaned, which you can tell in the picture. I''m unsure if it is white gold or platinum -- anyone know what the metal of choice was during this time period. We are going this weekend to look at possible settings and hopefully the jeweler will be able to tell us more about the stones. There are two baguettes on either side of the solitaire which you really can''t see in the pic. I don''t think we''ll be using the baguettes, just the solitaire when setting it in a different setting. I''d like a halo setting, but the table seems higher than normal modern day diamonds so I''m not sure if that will be possible. As you can tell, I''m no expert on diamonds. :) I''m wanting any advice or tips on getting the stone put in another setting. Should we take it to a family owned jeweler or a would a national chain do a good job as well. Thanks!

Vintagering91075.jpg

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to Pricescope! You''ve come to the right place. What a lovely diamond you have for an engagement ring. Do a search here for transitional and oec diamonds, and compare to your diamond.

Do a search, also, for halo settings and you will see many lovely rings from members of Pricescope for ideas.
35.gif

Post your question on Rocky Talk too.
1.gif

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Hello, and welcome to Pricescope! Your ring is beautiful. You are lucky to have such a lovely heirloom. I actually like it just the way it is -- it''s so classy and elegant, and I love baguettes.

If you do decide to have the center stone reset in a new setting, and you want something custom designed, I would advise you to work with a jeweler who does their work in-house (does not send it out to a workshop off premises). Make sure they show you examples of their completed work.

If you decide to have the diamond set in a brand name setting (e.g., Tacori) take the ring to an authorized dealer and see if they will work with you. Some jewelry stores will not set customer-provided diamonds, only their own.

A great resource for ideas and vintage settings (including halos) is Jewels by Erica Grace website

Whatever you decide to do, please save the original setting -- your future daughters or granddaughters may want to use it! I say this because I am planning on having my grandmother''s 1920''s setting restored this year by Wink Jones. And speaking of Wink Jones, if you are willing to work with an online vendor, Wink has a great reputation here for quality custom settings (including halos) at a reasonable price. (He made my custom halo).

You can contact him through High Performance Diamonds
Link

You can see photos of his settings here: settings
Select "Fancy Solitaires" to see a selection of halo settings.

Wink is also an authorized dealer of D. Vatche settings, a maker of beautiful halo settings.

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
Please don''t let just anyone dismantle your heirloom ring. Have a certified appraiser examine the diamonds and setting thoroughly prior to taking it apart. Sometimes, you are far better off to have qualified craftspeople sort out any misgivings with the existing setting than to remove stones and start over. Old world craftsmanship is wonderful. Bent shank isn''t a problem, and can be easily remedied for a song.
My feeling is that the person who bequeathed you this ring is best honoured by resoring the original beauty. Someone did without something in order to provide this beauty to someone that they loved dearly. Keep that in mid and you will do fine.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results