shape
carat
color
clarity

Manicures

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

butterflyblue

Shiny_Rock
I LOVE getting manicures!
36.gif
I get them usually every 2 weeks.. am I the only one who gets them that often?

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/9/2010 10:15:36 AM
Author:butterflyblue

I LOVE getting manicures!
36.gif
I get them usually every 2 weeks.. am I the only one who gets them that often?
I love getting them, I just think my hands hate me. I will get one and love it and then 2 hours later the paint peels right off. Literally. Off the fingers. I like being pampered though, so I take the loss of paint and enjoy the hand and arm massage.
9.gif

sugarpie honeybun

Shiny_Rock
I get a mani/pedi every 2 weeks. Essie "Vanity Fairest" all the way.......
2.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never get them b/c my polish chips off too easily. Instead, my toes get painted. I''ve only had a few pedicures. . .I own over 45 OPI polishes and instead of paying for someone else to do my toes, I just buy another polish. It''s scary to think I''ve spend over $400 on them all!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2010 12:20:22 PM
Author: MC
I never get them b/c my polish chips off too easily. Instead, my toes get painted. I''ve only had a few pedicures. . .I own over 45 OPI polishes and instead of paying for someone else to do my toes, I just buy another polish. It''s scary to think I''ve spend over $400 on them all!
LOL! MC, you and I are in the same boat! I do my own mani/pedi once a week, and I only use OPI polishes because they seem to chip the least. I probably have somewhere around 40 different OPI polishes right now, many of which are the more expensive Designer Series ones (which I''m completely addicted to). I''m afraid to do the math!
32.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
I rarely ever get manicures, because I end up peeling all of the polish off. If I do (for a special occasion), I get a coat of clear polish.

Now, pedicures are a different story. I LOVE pedicures and get them pretty regularly. I think regular foot massages help keep me sane.
9.gif

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
mememe. I get an express manicure (file + polish) weekly and a full manicure every 4-5 weeks. it''s like a facial, it isn''t good to get the full manicure with scrub every week.

I love nail art. that''s what I usually get to shock my colleagues at the office, with bright colors like orange, red and purple. and it''s all my natural nails.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2010 12:24:11 PM
Author: Irishgrrrl

LOL! MC, you and I are in the same boat! I do my own mani/pedi once a week, and I only use OPI polishes because they seem to chip the least. I probably have somewhere around 40 different OPI polishes right now, many of which are the more expensive Designer Series ones (which I''m completely addicted to). I''m afraid to do the math!
32.gif
Glad I''m not the only one. The silly thing is so many of them look nearly identical! lol Maybe one of the reds is slighly more blue-red however not much of a noticable difference to justify having spend yet more on a polish.
37.gif

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
If we weren''t being as frugal with our money as we are at the moment, I''d get them more often - esp since I''m a nail-biter and manicures are my only saving grace! I occassionaly file and paint my nails at home myself.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2010 12:42:54 PM

32.gif
Glad I''m not the only one. The silly thing is so many of them look nearly identical! lol Maybe one of the reds is slighly more blue-red however not much of a noticable difference to justify having spend yet more on a polish.
37.gif
YES!!! I have the same problem! I''ll find a color I really like, only to get it home and realize that it''s very similar to a color I already have. Drives DH nuts! LOL!
19.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I have only had a few in my life and each time they chipped within minutes of leaving
7.gif
So I don't get them anymore.

Also, something (either the polish or the remover) makes my nails peel, so I always regret painting my nails a week later when they're peeling like crazy. Anybody know how to prevent this?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2010 2:35:17 PM
Author: elrohwen
I have only had a few in my life and both times they chipped within minutes of leaving
7.gif
So I don't get them anymore.

Also, something (either the polish or the remover) makes my nails peel, so I always regret painting my nails a week later when they're peeling like crazy. Anybody know how to prevent this?
Use a base coat and non-acetone polish remover. If you're doing both of those already, the peeling could be nutritionally related. Are you taking a multi-vitamin?

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2010 2:35:17 PM
I have only had a few in my life and both times they chipped within minutes of leaving
7.gif
So I don''t get them anymore.

Also, something (either the polish or the remover) makes my nails peel, so I always regret painting my nails a week later when they''re peeling like crazy. Anybody know how to prevent this?
Hi, El!
35.gif

In my experience, the key is to use high-quality polish remover and a high-quality base coat. I think the lower-quality versions of either of these items tend to leech the moisture out of your nails, causing them to chip and peel. I always use an OPI polish remover (any of the ones for natural nails should work just fine) and I use OPI Nail Envy as a base coat. I usually use the "Original" or "Maintenance" forumla Nail Envy, but Nail Envy comes in a lot of different formulas, one of which is made specifically for nails that peel!
21.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This week''s polish is Nicole by OPI''s "It''s Possible." I really like this one! (Please excuse the weird cell phone picture . . . my hands aren''t really this short and stubby! LOL!)
37.gif

ItsPossible.jpg

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Pretty color, Emm!

I think I''m going to pick up some of the OPI polish remover - I''ve heard good things. I know the one I use is non-acetone, but that''s all I know about it. It was one that I found in the grocery store - I''m sure it''s not high quality
2.gif
I also rarely use a basecoat (though it was used the few times I''ve had my nails done by professionals) so I''ll try that too.

I think my nails are generally healthy. When I don''t paint them, they never ever peel and are very strong, so I don''t think it''s anything nutritional. I do get ridges in them, but those seem to correlate with sinus infections and don''t seem to affect the nail strength.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got a pedicure um..1 1/2 years ago I think. I loved it-looked so pretty! I had a few manicures in my early 20''s. If we had the money I would go regularly, but for now I just mess w/it by myself. Looks like it too, haha.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I''m 28 and have never had one - the feeling and sound of nail filing sets my teeth on edge and gives me shivers .. not sure I could ever go!

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock

32.gif

Haha, I''m guilty of this as well. I have since found a trick to keep myself from buying similar colors that I own already. I keep in my wallet a piece of plastic, the size of a credit card, that is painted with all the colors that I own. That way, instead of wondering how close a light pink would be to the 20 other bottles of light pink I have at home, I can pull out that card and compare. It''s been life altering for me, and my wallet (not to mention DH) thanks me for it
2.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I manicure and paint my own nails. While I love getting manicures, they''re a complete waist because I teach in a college that still uses chalkboards. The chalk always wins against the polish. Always.

I just painted my nails a deep red on Saturday and they''re already chipping on the tips of my right hand.

I *really* love Red Door pedicures, though. No chalk dangers there.

Smo

Shiny_Rock
I do my own manicures because I find it relaxing! I also spend half an hour or so on Sunday nights watching TV and dong my nails! I have thought about getting someone else to do it (as I regularly get a pedicure) but am such a perfectionist with my nails plus I enjoy it so I do it myself.

My holy grail nail polishes are: Revitanail as a base coat. I used to have nails that split or broke so easily and after using this my nails are amazing. I regularly get comments on how nice they look and it is all down to this product! OPI Privacy Please which is a "your nails but better colour" (for darker skin at least) and as my topcoat I use "out the door". It means my nails last until Friday at least until they start chipping. I also use the OPI quick dry spray which means I don''t have to wait long for them to dry and can go straight to bed after without creases from my sheets on the polish!

What are everyones favourite colours at the moment? Mine are Privacy Please and Boris and Natasha (for my toes, a really nice purple colour)

Butterflyblu

Rough_Rock
Seems to be I''m not alone! lol... I used to wear acrylics and they look so nice but, ugh the expense after a while.
I just figured I will try to baby my own nails a bit and it seems to work-they grow a lot better when I pamper them!

Irishgirrl - your nails are beautiful. I LOVE that color-

Right now I have found myself gravitating towards the pink colors for some reason.
I keep my nails on the shorter side so it looks nice with them.

Can anyone recommend a nice pink polish??

Thanks!
36.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
El ~ Thanks! I just took it off last night, though. My nails are completely bare right now, but I think I'm going to paint them OPI Brisbane Bronze tonight!
1.gif

Onvacation ~ That's a great idea! But . . . um . . . I'm not entirely sure I could fit all of my colors onto a piece of plastic the size of a credit card! In fact, I just bought two more last night . . . I really need to stop!!!
emembarrassed.gif

Butterflyblu ~ Thank you! You should see my Mom's nails . . . they're really long and unbelievably strong! She does hers herself too, and they always look awesome! As far as a nice pink polish is concerned: I would recommend OPI's Passion. It's a very light pink and gives the effect of a French manicure, without the PITA of actually DOING a French manicure. Definitely one of my favorites!
30.gif

And I have some tips for you ladies who are frustrated by chipping polish, to help your mani/pedi last for a whole week:

1. Get a product called "Chip Skip" which is made by OPI. You just put it on right before your base coat, and it sinks right into your nail (no drying time involved). Just make sure your nails are clean and dry before applying the Chip Skip (no lotion residue or anything that could create a barrier between the Chip Skip and your nail).

2. After you've applied the Chip Skip, put your base coat* on immediately afterward and then let that dry completely.

3. Apply ONE THIN COAT of colored polish*, let that dry completely, and then go about your business for a couple of days. I know, at this point most people want to apply another coat of colored polish and/or a clear topcoat, but DON'T DO IT!!! Just walk around with that one coat of colored polish for a while. (As an example, I usually do my first coat of color on Wednesday and don't apply another coat of color until Friday, and then another coat of either color or topcoat on Sunday.)

4. After a couple days, take a look at your nails. Are there any chips? If you don't see any chips, apply another thin coat of colored polish. If you do have some chips, take your colored polish and, using just a little bit of polish on the very tip of the brush, fill in those chips. Now (while your "filled in chips" are still damp), apply another thin coat of colored polish and let dry. CHIPS ARE GONE!!!
36.gif

5. Repeat Step 4 every two days or so as necessary, and apply a topcoat toward the end of the week if you want. (Sometimes I do use a topcoat, but I usually don't.)

This process works like a charm for me every time! The picture I posted above was taken yesterday (Tuesday). My first color coat was applied on Wednesday of last week, I did another coat of color on Friday, and a clear topcoat on Sunday. Notice the lack of chips? When I took it off last night, I really didn't need to . . . it still didn't have any chips. I only took it off because I was ready to change colors!
2.gif

As you can probably tell, I've been doing my own nails for a looong time now, and I've learned a lot by trial and error. Hope this helps!
35.gif

*Note: For your base coat and colored polish, it's best to use what the salons use. The pros use what they use for a reason . . . because they've gotten good feedback from their clients and those polishes have staying power. That's why I tend to stick with OPI. I've tried several different brands, and nothing resists chipping like OPI does (on me anyway). OH, and also, ALWAYS paint the underside of your nail . . . not just the top! Even if your nails are pretty short, still paint the underside if you can. This completely covers the free edge in polish, which helps to resist chipping.

butterflyblue

Shiny_Rock
Thank you very much for the color recommendation it sounds exactly what I love! I''m going to look for it this weekend!

36.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve only gotten a few manicures, and to be honest, I actually prefer to paint my own nails. I''ve found that for some reason, the polish stays on longer when I do it myself.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
My nails are growing so fast these days, I love it! I wish I could swing regular manicures and pedicures, but I can''t
7.gif
The paint chips so fast I can''t justify the expense.

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
I get a manicure every week, but that''s only because my mom takes me with her when she goes each Friday. She says it''s our "girl time" so she pays. I wouldn''t pay for a manicure for myself that often because to me, it just isn''t worth the money right now when the polish comes off by Sunday night! (But I do love going with her and seeing her every week!)

Pedicures last much longer on me, but I don''t get them that often. I get them before going on vacation and before the summer (so usually 2-3 times a year). Other than that, I just polish my own toes.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
A pedicure question: I paint my toes a lot, and in the winter they last forever because I''m constantly wearing socks. They chip a bit faster in the summer when I''m wearing sandals, but still not that bad and I only repaint every 2 weeks or so.

But if I go to a beach, they chip instantly. Within an hour they look totally horrible - not just a little chipping, but like half a nail''s worth of polish is gone.

I''ve tried topcoats without much effect. Would a basecoat help that much? Does anyone else have a problem with sand totally eating their polish off? We went to the Bahamas a few years ago and I ended up re-painting my toes every day because they looked so bad.

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/11/2010 6:34:08 PM
A pedicure question: I paint my toes a lot, and in the winter they last forever because I''m constantly wearing socks. They chip a bit faster in the summer when I''m wearing sandals, but still not that bad and I only repaint every 2 weeks or so.

But if I go to a beach, they chip instantly. Within an hour they look totally horrible - not just a little chipping, but like half a nail''s worth of polish is gone.

I''ve tried topcoats without much effect. Would a basecoat help that much? Does anyone else have a problem with sand totally eating their polish off? We went to the Bahamas a few years ago and I ended up re-painting my toes every day because they looked so bad.

When DH and I went to Hawaii and when we went to Puerto Rico my nails chipped within about 10 minutes of going onto the beach and into the water. The polish gets all cloudy and dull, it comes off, and it chips. I think it''s something about the saltwater.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2010 6:38:05 PM
Author: Lilac
When DH and I went to Hawaii and when we went to Puerto Rico my nails chipped within about 10 minutes of going onto the beach and into the water. The polish gets all cloudy and dull, it comes off, and it chips. I think it''s something about the saltwater.
Darn, I hoped it was just me
9.gif

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2010 6:38:05 PM
Author: Lilac

When DH and I went to Hawaii and when we went to Puerto Rico my nails chipped within about 10 minutes of going onto the beach and into the water. The polish gets all cloudy and dull, it comes off, and it chips. I think it's something about the saltwater.
did you wear sunblock?

my polish went dull right after the sunblock went on. And I noticed it last summer too when i was going to the beach a lot. The water is toxic out here in california (not really, but still really gross) so i dont go in. I say it's sunblock!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results