shape
carat
color
clarity

Can someone please explain bra sizes to me?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rierie26

Shiny_Rock
So I kinda get the basics of bra sizes, bands, cups, etc.

But I was watching tv and a woman said she was a 34DD, but she definitely didn''t look like a DD to me (at least what I thought a DD would look like). She looked more like a B, maybe. I thought cup sizes went up like fruit sizes, ie. lemons, oranges, grapefruit, melons, etc. Am I wrong?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/23/2010 10:45:45 PM
Author:Kitcha
I thought cup sizes went up like fruit sizes, ie. lemons, oranges, grapefruit, melons, etc. Am I wrong?

*** snort! ***

No, you''re not wrong. The further you are up the alphabet, the larger the fruit!

That said, a (i.e.) 3-inch difference between the band size and the *ahem* largest measurement is going to look a lot different with a small band size than with a more substantial one.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Sure, it''s pretty simple. Size up in the cup, down in the band. Size up in the band, down in the cup.

So for example, a 34C is the same cup size as a 36B, just with a larger ribcage.

A 34C = 32D in cup size. So say you try on a 34C and the cup fits over your, um, asset, but the back rides up and the straps fall down. That means you need to size down in the band, but if you go to a 32C, you''ve sized down the whole bra (including cups) and now your assets are going to be spilling out. That means that in order for your assets to fit, you need to size UP in the cup if you go DOWN in the band, in order to keep the same cup volume that the 34C had. Now you''re wearing a 32D.

Conversely, you try on the 34C and the band is too small but the cups fit, so you size up to a 36C. The whole bra has sized up, and now you are wearing a cup size larger and your girls are swimming the backstroke. Since you sized up in the band, you need to size down in the cup, so you size down to a 36B.

So the band and cup are relative to one another. Most women wear bands waaaay too huge because merchandisers (Sears, Macy''s JCPenney, Dillard''s, Victoria''s Secret, etc) don''t want to have all these huge cup small band bras hogging massive space, so they force women into whatever they have stocked. That means unsupported busts that cause massive back problems.

Does that help?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not going to touch this subject.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/23/2010 11:15:06 PM
Author: kenny
I''m not going to touch this subject.
Oh, but you know you want to!

What I think is crazy is that most women''s breasts aren''t the same size yet bras only come the same for both cups. Remember when there was a lingerie company that had sizes that came in "Barely B" "Barely C" and "Barely D?" I need a 34C and a 34BarelyC in the same bra!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ladies...you need to post some "chest shots"
31.gif

457492dro0rb016c.gif

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 12:18:55 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
ladies...you need to post some ''chest shots''
31.gif

457492dro0rb016c.gif

Um, ewwww?!

You so deserve this!
9.gif

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
weird.. my pic won''t post.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
It also depends on where you buy your bras. If I go into Lane Bryant I have to buy a 36 C, if I go to Macy''s I buy a 38 D and if I go to Victorias Secret I buy a 38 DD. I HATE bra shopping for this very reason!
29.gif

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
So I''m really a 50 AA
Who knew

Delster

Ideal_Rock
People talk about B-cup or DD-cup or whatever like those are static sizes - I often hear it on reality TV shows where they talk about boob jobs taking women ''to a D cup'' as if that were a readily identifiable size/volume
20.gif
In reality, it''s all about ratio. One woman''s A-cup is another woman''s D!

Erin

Ideal_Rock
And why do larger cup sizes have to have seven eyelets in the back? I''d like to look dainty too and I don''t need a corset back to keep it on...

CasaBlanca

Shiny_Rock
Also...your girls may be "short and squatty" which is going to take you to a double cup...such as DD.

If your girls are "long and lean" you won''t need to double just go further down the alphabet...such as a D.

The DD you are thinking is not as large as you think. Honest. (you are more than likely assuming BIG BIG are double d...they are more than likely G or J even! This discussion has come up before and many tiny petite psers are 32DD (I won''t call them out...but they are here!). 32 in the inch that just measures rib cage...the alphabet takes care of the circumference of the "stuff". Trying to find you a link is NEXT to impossible as they are all not PS worthy! Arghhh. But there was a line up of women holding size signs and a teeny petite one held 30F. And trust me...she didn''t look any different than a 32B.

If you have a Dillards close, The have spectacular bra ologists. You won''t feel uncomfortable, because they often wear white jackets just like a doctor! (white jackets reflect a level of trust...sort of like a hard hat on a job site...) One brand in particular to try for great size and comfort is Wacoal. They use it to help you understand the crazy world of bras. Oprah had a segment...and proved 90% or so of women wore the wrong size...so actually WE ALL need a checkup. This article explains why the size chart you question...DOESN''T REALLY WORK FOR TODAYS WOMAN...and DIET!! (oops)

NYtimes article...HERE

And as for Kenny, and then Dancing fire''s request for photos...SHAME ON YOU BOTH! SHAME! SCOOT! GET OUTTA HERE! This is a womans dressing room. Skadadle.
23.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 9:40:11 AM
Author: Delster
People talk about B-cup or DD-cup or whatever like those are static sizes - I often hear it on reality TV shows where they talk about boob jobs taking women ''to a D cup'' as if that were a readily identifiable size/volume
20.gif
In reality, it''s all about ratio. One woman''s A-cup is another woman''s D!
So true!

DH will always "guesstimate" women who have larger breasts. I have to explain to him that it doesnt work that way! He doesnt believe me.
41.gif

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oooh, I lke this thread.

Down here, bra are sold by band size alone. Unbelievable! As if a large rib cage indicaded large breasts. So, of course, they never fit well. One company is trying to sell bra and cup size, but everystore I go, there is virtually no selection.

I think I will order some bras from the United States. Massive shipping and custom charges, of course, but I think it will be worth it. I just need to figure out my correct size.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never knew any of this about bra sizes.
I fear I have been wearing the wrong size for years.

Date: 2/24/2010 9:42:12 AM
Author: Starset Princess
And why do larger cup sizes have to have seven eyelets in the back? I''d like to look dainty too and I don''t need a corset back to keep it on...

I KNOW! Mine are pretty large and I''m between the 3 eyelet and 4 eyelet size... so uncute... but it helps so that the sides don''t get bunched up.. but still.

Date: 2/24/2010 1:05:59 PM
Author: Haven
I never knew any of this about bra sizes.

I fear I have been wearing the wrong size for years.

Most women are! (so I''ve heard...)

Go in for a bra fitting!! I did and it was great... I was also wearing the wrong bra size.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Where do I go for a fitting? Are there any good national retailers that anyone could recommend? We don''t have Dillard''s here, I''m in Chicago.

Thanks!

Rachel9

Shiny_Rock
; HEIGHT: 78px" class="ibbquote">Date: 2/24/2010 2:02:52 PM
Author: Haven
Where do I go for a fitting? Are there any good national retailers that anyone could recommend? We don''t have Dillard''s here, I''m in Chicago.
I''d try Macy''s, VS, Nords & Gap if you try multiple fittings take the size that comes the most to shop online later on as they can vary from brand to brand
2.gif

Yeap, most bigger department stores that have their own bra and undies section can usually measure you. I recommend VS and Macy''s myself.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results