shape
carat
color
clarity

Milgrain channel set or not? I need your help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
My dear PS friends!! I need your help to decide what wedding ring to get. Unfortunately, my original w-ring is eating into my solitaire, so I pretty much haven't worn it for weeks now (wearing a plain band instead). I tried to wear a spacer, but didn't care for the look on my short tiny fingers. I always loved the channel set band, and have decided to get one. However, while trying some bands at the stores, I tried on a milgrained channel set band by HOF and it was amazing! (I`m not planning to purchase from HOF, will buy either from WF or BGD). Now, question is do I get a milgrained band or not? I love the clean shiny look of a plain channel set, but at the same time love the extra 'oomph' given by the milgrain. My DH also likes both, so he was no help in decision making.... That`s where you come in!
3.gif

So my questions are:

1. Milgrain or no milgrain RB channel set band?

2. What width? My e-ring is 1.25 RB solitaire knife edge and 2.5mm wide, but looks more delicate than the 2.5 because of the knife edge... I was thinking between 2.0 or 2.5mm. Maybe compromise at 2.3?

Thank You ahead for your opinions!!

This is my e-ring (1.25 G VS2) with my original w-band (also 2.5mm wide).

IMG_0377res.JPG

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
This is a plain channel set (BGD).

bgdchannel.jpg

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
And this is a milgrain channel set band by HOF.

hofchannelset.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would not do milgrain.

Your Ering is so simple and elegant, and I think milgrain invokes a more complex, busy appearance..

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, yssie. That is one of my concerns too. What width do you think I should go with?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer it without milgrain. Do you have the option to try either on before committing? I know milgrain can be added late if you wanted (not sure of cost).

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I''d skip the milgrain as well. A BGD channel set band will be stunning. I''d go with 2.5 mm... same width as your other band, and it gives a bit more bling. You could even go a bit wider than 2.5 mm and it would still look nice. Your e-ring is so classic. Love it.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2010 6:36:38 PM
Author: Fly Girl
I''d skip the milgrain as well. A BGD channel set band will be stunning. I''d go with 2.5 mm... same width as your other band, and it gives a bit more bling. You could even go a bit wider than 2.5 mm and it would still look nice. Your e-ring is so classic. Love it.
+1!

EHR2009

Brilliant_Rock
I would also do no miligrain. That way, it will coordinate well with your original WB if you ever want to stack just those 2 bands together.

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
I would go without it as well. I have a plain channel set and I just love it myself. And remember if you decide later on you really wanted the milgrain a jeweler can always add it later :)

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2010 6:40:51 PM
Author: MissGotRocks

Date: 2/12/2010 6:36:38 PM
Author: Fly Girl
+1!
36.gif

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
I agree, no milgrain! I like sticking with shiny since you engagement ring is shiny and classic!

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
No milgrain would be my vote as well. Fabulous set!

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone! I knew you`d make my decision making so easy and hassle-free
2.gif
. Can''t believe I was agonising over this for days!
3.gif

Addy - I did try both on in a store, and that''s why I had to turn to you guys, as I was so torn! Both looked beautiful!

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I like both but I think the plain band would match more with your ER.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, if you look at my avatar, you might guess my answer! I love the milgrain especially with a plain solitaire! I do prefer bead set over channel set for rounds, though.

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
I like both looks, and I think they''re very different. Miligrain, to me, gives rings a more antique/romantic look while the plain metal looks more modern. I actually love both equally, I don''t think you can go wrong either way. Does anyone have pics of a miligrain eternity with their plain solitaire band?

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Diamondseeker''s avatar (above) is a solitaire with the Tiffany Legacy. I think it''s a gorgeous look, but like Gleam said, you can''t go wrong either way!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I prefer it plain, it look so clean and elegant and will really compliment your solitare

OBXLovr

Rough_Rock
Not sure if you have made a decision yet, but I just got a new set for Valentine's Day and my wedding band is a milgrain channel set. My engagement ring is a 1.25 carat RB solitaire and I think the two look great together. I'll try to post a pic so you can compare :)

OBXLovr

Rough_Rock
Here''s a photo of my set...

dsc00544wo.jpg

OBXLovr

Rough_Rock
Closer up...

DSC00544.JPG

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Thank You all for your responses and opinions! Greatly appreciated! I thought I was decided on a plain channel set after seeing the majority of your votes, but something kept pulling me back to the milgrain!!
3.gif
And now more of you are advising for milgrain as well!! Decisions, decisions! So exciting!!!
9.gif
But I think I made progress on one thing - I`m planning to go with 2.5mm, rather than 2mm.

diamondseeker - Your set is one of my all time favourites and one of the reasons I am considering a milgrain ring. I do love bead set rings as well but *I think* I prefer the look of a channel set with my solitaire (this also changes on a regular basis though). But the channel set ring is something I`ve been in love with for a loooong time.

OBXLovr - Thank you for posting your set!! It is fabulous!!! You should definitely make a thread with lots and lots of photos!!
30.gif

EHR2009

Brilliant_Rock
Now after seeing OBXLovr''s set, I''m torn, too! That miligrain band looks great with her solitaire!

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/14/2010 10:13:50 PM
Author: OBXLovr

Beautiful!!!! just curious, how many carats is your solitaire? Looks huge on you. I absolutely love your set -- makes me think I should go for milgrain, too. I think it really adds that something extra to channel set eternity rings.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will NEVER turn down milgrain.
31.gif

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 1.2 solitaire (tiffany knife edge) from BGD and I recently tried on the legacy band in tiffany's and I loved it. I currently have the Dream eternity but I want something with a smaller carat weight to stack with my eternity and a different band to change up the look of my set. My style is classic and clean, but I did love one legacy band and I now want that or something similar. I didn't know if I would really like the milgrain, but it was so pretty!!

edit to say I also have a channel set (band nut) which I like, but the milgrain was such a different look.

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 10:18:38 AM
Author: EHR2009
Now after seeing OBXLovr's set, I'm torn, too! That miligrain band looks great with her solitaire!
Yep, exactly!! It`s a gorgeous look, isn't it!

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 10:30:59 AM
Author: Gleam

Date: 2/14/2010 10:13:50 PM
Author: OBXLovr

Beautiful!!!! just curious, how many carats is your solitaire? Looks huge on you. I absolutely love your set -- makes me think I should go for milgrain, too. I think it really adds that something extra to channel set eternity rings.
OBXLovr''s solitaire is 1.25ct.

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 1:14:23 PM
Author: siamese3
I have a 1.2 solitaire (tiffany knife edge) from BGD and I recently tried on the legacy band in tiffany's and I loved it. I currently have the Dream eternity but I want something with a smaller carat weight to stack with my eternity and a different band to change up the look of my set. My style is classic and clean, but I did love one legacy band and I now want that or something similar. I didn't know if I would really like the milgrain, but it was so pretty!!

edit to say I also have a channel set (band nut) which I like, but the milgrain was such a different look.
I just
30.gif
your set, siamese!! I hope you don't mind me attaching your picture, so that we have a comparison with the milgrain look.

siamese3channelset112233.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results