shape
carat
color
clarity

Running out of time!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ais1inn

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

I'm due to propose in 17 days (march 25th). I've got it all planned out. Is it possible to buy a ring from one online shop, a setting from another, have them shipped, appraised and set before then?

Believe it or not, i've been researching for months now. But my budget's so low, I haven't been able to find the "perfect" deal yet. And worse case scenario, I've got a contingency plan which would only take a few days. It's for a ring I know she loves but the diamond is not great (and I can't get them to just sell me the setting). Still, online seems to be the way to go for my extremely tight budget ($3200). So, do you think it can be done in 17 days?

Thanks in advance!
ais

PS
This site and your comments are top of the line! I've learned soooo much!
eek.gif

PPS
I'm looking for...
Lucida (white gold) setting (found one on diamonds-usa.com for $300)
Diamond: princess, 0.9ct-1.2ct, SI1 or better, G or better... thereabouts

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just one thought...

I would rather get the best diamond I can in a really simple and disposable setting, so that she can get the setting she wants later. This would sort out most issues since you can surely get a nice diamond online, maximize budget, fit in the tight schedule and make absolutely sure your girl gets the ring she certainly wants the most with a great stone. Unless the ring you have in mind is an absolutely unique object, chances are very simmilar ones woudl be aroud... and, I can asure you, very, very few people would complain about being presented with the task to choose their favorite setting for a nice diamond. The other way around is much more difficult.

Does this make sense?

added: now I see the choice of setting! I believe most diamodn sellers can get one of those for you, even if the choice is not listed on their website. teh stile is widely available. I woudl certainly ask about this... Your schedule becomes much more believable if you get the seller of the stone to set it for you, I guess.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Hi, AIS.....and welcome to PS!

What you're asking POSITIVELY cna be done! YAY! Once I found my stone online, I had it shipped overnight from TX to Florida, had it appraised loose and then set in Florida, and then shipped overnight to me in MA......all in one week!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Agreed with valeria101. You can certainly get it done in that timeframe, but I'd get it set into a disposable setting, make it clear to her that's it's temporary, and then you could save up for her wedding set later. Some women want their e-ring and w-ring to match anyway, and sometimes it takes some time getting a w-ring to fit well with the e-ring, so shopping for it later is a great alternative.

ais1inn

Rough_Rock
thanks so much for the terrific ideas, valeria! I'm glad you mentioned the one of asking the diamond dealer if they could get the setting. That's what I really wanted to do as I thought it would save time and effort. But I consistently found good diamonds on one site and a good price for the setting on another. Couldn't seem to find both on one.

The lucida (https://www.diamonds-usa.com//diamond_rings/Jewel_Details.asp?cart=1&MetalID=3&Jid=83), btw, is in my gf's top 3 settings. (I found out from a friend of hers). So, if I can get it for a decent price, it should allow me to get a better cut/color. Which is sort of in line with the "disposable setting" concept (which is a good idea, too... I'll have a think about that).

Anyway, thanks everyone for all the reassurances, warm welcomes and great ideas.
appl.gif
(That lowered my heart rate a few beats).

-aislinn

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results