shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about Tanzanite ring substitute

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

elnino2783

Rough_Rock
My wife saw this in a store and fell in love with the deep purple-blue color:

http://www.billbarnes.com/product.asp?product=4437

Now I'm hesitant to get her tanzanite on a ring of that price because she would most likely be rough on her jewelry, but is there anything else that can look as brilliantly colored with that great mix of color? The most common purple gem out there would be Amethyst, but it doesn't typically have that blue color mixed in.

Any help regarding gems or similar rings would be great, thanks.

Also, I have looked at some Iolite quickly on amazon but it seems too dark for what she likes.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I like tanzanites too but worry about the softness. What about a spinel? I''m sure more of the experts will chime in (I''m not an expert but I''ve noticed spinels similar in colour to a tanzanite).

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sapphire or spinel might work, but they have different optical properties. Also, this would probably get more answers if it was in the Colored Stones area...

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Iolite is often mistaken for Tanzanite and considerably less in terms of price. However, it''s almost the same in terms of durability as Tanzanite. Here''s one for sale:

http://www.clearcutgems.com/Page10.html

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2009 7:18:37 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Sapphire or spinel might work, but they have different optical properties.

Yep, they do, so it depends on what your definition of ''substitution'' might be. I like tanzanite and I personally wouldn''t substitute anything for it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results