shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about diamond earrings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
I've been thinking about asking FI for diamond stud earrings for Christmas (he's been asking what I want). I'd probably go for round cut in white gold. Does anyone know how low you can go on color and clarity with diamond earrings before they start looking yellow or not nice? I've been thinking 1/2 carat per earring or less (but bigger than 1/4 carat). I've also looked at the martini style. Does anyone have any tips on what's reasonable to spend and/or any yummy pictures?

ETA: I wanted to correct that to mean diamond earrings with pave around them.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can''t go wrong with the ready set to go studs from Whiteflash. They are near colorless.

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/26/2009 11:23:35 PM
Author: marcyc
You can''t go wrong with the ready set to go studs from Whiteflash. They are near colorless.
I saw those...I couldn''t tell if some of them were just the frame or if they included the diamonds as well. What about clarity? Is SI ok? Or I? Or is that not a good idea in diamond earrings?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/26/2009 10:35:23 PM
Author:Treasure43
I''ve been thinking about asking FI for diamond stud earrings for Christmas (he''s been asking what I want). I''d probably go for round cut in white gold. Does anyone know how low you can go on color and clarity with diamond earrings before they start looking yellow or not nice? I''ve been thinking 1/2 carat per earring or less (but bigger than 1/4 carat). I''ve also looked at the martini style. Does anyone have any tips on what''s reasonable to spend and/or any yummy pictures?

ETA: I wanted to correct that to mean diamond earrings with pave around them.
Hi treasure

You can go as low as SI2 for clarity and even some I1 if you wish which are of top cut quality and verified eyeclean ( depending on various factors and expectations). I or J colour will still be white and sufficient for many for earrings as long as GIA or AGS graded and the cut is excellent.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Studs are awesome, whatta great idea for a gift! You will love them!
30.gif

I have a pair of martini-set diamond studs, both AGS-0 killer stones, about 3/4 carat each. They are both K/SI1 stones and they are GORGEOUS! Honestly, they are soooo white and so sparkly, I couldn''t be more thrilled with them.

Here''s the link: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/winters-coming-needed-new-ear-warming-studs-1-47-tcw.72105/

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the advice!

I have my eyes on something along these lines but have NO idea what buying diamond earrings online is like.

I''m also not sure what''s reasonable for the size I''m looking for (1/3 - 1/2 range)

Margarita_White_600.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/27/2009 9:18:23 PM
Author: Treasure43
Thanks for all the advice!

I have my eyes on something along these lines but have NO idea what buying diamond earrings online is like.

I'm also not sure what's reasonable for the size I'm looking for (1/3 - 1/2 range)
An option you could consider is buying the studs then also a pair of jackets so you can have the plain stud effect or add the jackets for a halo. Select the white gold option for prices as the pinks are pricey!

http://www.whiteflash.com/Fine-jewelry/Diamond_Studs/Diamond-Earring-Jackets--READY-SET-TO-GO_1013.htm

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
An option you could consider is buying the studs then also a pair of jackets so you can have the plain stud effect or add the jackets for a halo. Select the white gold option for prices as the pinks are pricey!

What a great option! How exactly do jackets work? And can they be purchased only online or can I also get them in stores?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/28/2009 11:42:40 AM

What a great option! How exactly do jackets work? And can they be purchased only online or can I also get them in stores?
Here is the link for the Whiteflash jackets

http://www.whiteflash.com/Fine-jewelry/Diamond_Studs/Diamond-Earring-Jackets--READY-SET-TO-GO_1013.htm

What happens is these fit around the diamond studs so you can have 2 totally different looks.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Just bought a pair of martini set diamond studs last week. .82 ctw K SI1 from BGD. They are amazing little fireballs with so much sparkle that color is not a concern at all. I would not hesitate to recommend I, J, or K color for earrings. Also dont worry about SI1 or even down to I1 as long as they are eye clean. I will try and take some picks today but in the mean time take a look at the stud thread. Its very helpful.

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
What is a ballpark range for around 1/3 of a carat each, I or J color, with SI1 or I1 claraity? Assuming the cut will be good.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2009 4:14:38 PM
What is a ballpark range for around 1/3 of a carat each, I or J color, with SI1 or I1 claraity? Assuming the cut will be good.

You specifically don''t want SI2 - or was that a mistype?

Just go to any vendor website and search diamonds in that size... you''ll need 2
2.gif
. The settings themselves will be a little more, less in WG than plat. Or go to some vendors websites who have the RSG (ready, set, go) pairs already made up. The prices will be right there. I know WF does RSG, and I *think* GOG does, too. Not sure about anyone else.

Another setting option which I love for earrings is bezel set. Really maximizes the size and adds nice *oomph*!
30.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can probably find 2 matching loose diamonds of this size and quality for around 1k USD give or take a bit. I would also add SI2 clarity to SI1 and I1.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock

You can have a field day at Blue Nile under the Build Your Own Earrings option. For .66 total carat weight J S1's in 18K white gold martini settings the price is $946, but there are tons of stone pairs and settings to choose from! I think $1000 is probably a pretty good price estimate.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For earrings I might even investigate a nicely cut pair of SI2/I1 Ks... you''re going to see so little gold in a martini or four-prong basket that it doesn''t really matter the way it might for a ring.

roxana

Rough_Rock
I think how dark a color you can go with depends on complexion and hair color. I am blonde and have very fair complexion. Even Whiteflash ACA H color studs did not look good on me. They had great sparkle but they didn''t "pop". I had to go all the way to F to get that crisp white look. If I could have afforded it, I would have gone for E. Holding up an F stone next to an H stone you can barely tell the difference, but completely different look on my ears and next to my face.

That said I could not tell the difference between VVS or VS, and probably even eye-clean SI would be fine as long as the diamonds are extremely well cut like WF ACA. So for me, order of importance was cut, color, size, clarity.

Also I have a different pair of 1ct diamond studs in halo martini setting and I find that because of the way the setting comes to a point they kind of tilt downward. Something to keep in mind if you go with a darker color since it will be difficult to get the stone to face up. May be less of an issue with smaller stones.

Hope this helps and hope you find the perfect earrings. I love mine and practically wear them every day!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results