shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying a diamond in Canada from cyberspace

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bing Chow

Rough_Rock
This is a spinoff from Blakeo''s recent post. I wanted to post as a new thread to help fellow Canadians when they run searches here.

I share many of the sentiments that Blakeo posted. I dealt with Niceice and I have no regrets. In fact, at every opportunity, I tell guys to buy from internet vendors to get better service, knowledge, and price.

The great thing about Niceice is that they have the stone in-house. That meant that from the time I paid via wire transfer, it took a week (inc a weekend) to reach my hands. Customs charged me GST/PST, and nothing more. They called me at my office to confirm that I was the purchaser and it was for personal use. I gave''em my Visa no. and I had the stone the day after.

Blakeo''s post quoted a diamond from Birks:
0.82ct, E, VS2, Birk''s excellent cut (plus a Pt tiffany setting I assume) for $14750
My loose stone is the exact same, AGS ideal cut: I paid $6160 including tax/shipping. The exchange was rate was 1.33 at the time. Robin and Todd at NiceIce had my stone Gemprinted and threw at the loupes and locking tweezers for nothing. They said it was more of a hassle for me to send it back. Not $$$ items, but still, it was a very nice gesture. I received the original AGS document several weeks later (they sent copies first).

I took the stone to an independent appraiser (www.diamond-gallery.com here in Winnipeg) and asked Allan to check it out. I did not give him the AGS grades beforehand. He uses the GIA system and he nearly nailed it. He said my stone was 81 instead of 82 points, but gave it a D instead of E for color. He also gave it an excellent cut and a VS2 clarity. Finally, the fair market value was $7175.00, which meant I paid $1000 less than the USED price. Blakeo''s quote only leaves me imagining what the retail price might be.
1.gif

I have now embarked on the second half of this journey to have my stone set.
I will share my experience and hopefully some pics when the time comes.

Fellow Canucks, please do yourself a favor and look to the internet for super-sparkly diamonds for far less than retail. Like many of you, I have never made a purchase on the net as large as this, but it turned out to be the smartest purchase of anything in my life. I can''t wait to tell my g-friend what I gone thru for her.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Robin and Todd are the best!! Glad you had a great experience working with them!!
1.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I am glad to hear the experience of another satisfied customer of niceice... Congrats!
1.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Robin and Todd simply ... ROCK!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results