shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this too much to pay for tile?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
The man installing the tile brought us porcelain samples and I love it but don''t know if its too much. He''s charging $1500 for 800sqft 18x18 tile. This includes delivery to 2nd floor, grout, and tax (not installation). Too much? Good price?

April20

Ideal_Rock
Is it $1500 for the tile, grout and delivery? If so, this is about $1.87/s.f., which I think is a good price, especially as this includes your delivery and grout. I can''t say if you could do better without knowing the exact spec of the tile. If you love this tile, I''d say go for it. It''s not a crazy price.

The question I would ask is how much it will cost you for installation. It''s the cost of installation that can get you. Does your existing floor have to be demo''d or are you overlaying? When I''ve done tile in commercial projects (different than residential, but a yard stick of sorts), it''s cost around $8/ft (total) for demo of existing flooring, cost of new tile and grout and the installation of the new tile.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Yes that includes grout and delivery.

Labor is $1200 which includes removing carpet and the stick on tiles we have (don''t remember name), moving furniture and placing back, removing all base boards-painting-out back, and throwing out garbage. He threw in putting tile as the base boards in the bathroom.

There''s also an extra $1200 for cork (I think that''s the name) since we''re on the 2nd floor and the condo didn''t come with it (so our poor neighbors here every step)

soocool

Ideal_Rock
That is a great price. Did you check out this contractor beforehand to make sure he does a great job?

lulu

Ideal_Rock
That''s a terrific price. I''ve been shopping for tile myself.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2009 3:32:24 PM
Author: fiery
Yes that includes grout and delivery.

Labor is $1200 which includes removing carpet and the stick on tiles we have (don't remember name), moving furniture and placing back, removing all base boards-painting-out back, and throwing out garbage. He threw in putting tile as the base boards in the bathroom.

There's also an extra $1200 for cork (I think that's the name) since we're on the 2nd floor and the condo didn't come with it (so our poor neighbors here every step)
You're looking at $4.875/sf for material, install (and everthing that involves), including your underlayment/sound proofing. GREAT price. Make sure and check references and ensure he does a quality job. Nothing will bug you more than a messy install job. Make a decision on how big your want your grout lines and that he understands exactly what you want.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
What about where the tile meets the flooring in the rest of the house? If there is a sub-base of cork being installed, it can add to the elevation of the tile. If this is the case, what will happen at the threshold? Just a thought. Having to rip out and re-do would be terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results