shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying diamonds on ebay

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

becanddan

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

This is my first post on here, and basically I''m trying to work out if the earings I have found on ebay are genuine or not.

I live in Australia, and am in the market for a new pari of princess cut diamond earings. The one''s I have found are 40 points in total, colour G VS in 18ct yellow gold. They are listed on ebay, and they state that they come with a IGA certificate but I''m very cautious buying something over the internet.

Could someone please advise what steps I can take to protect myself? The lister said that they provide an independant valuers certificate but how do i know this is for real?

Any help would be appreciated.

Rebecca

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
The most important thing is to read the persons feedback, even the positives. I buy almost all my diamonds off of ebay and I''ve had the hardest time with earrings. My definition of eye clean isn''t the same as others I guess.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I think you should look at their return policy as well. I bought a diamond pendent off a ebay vendor and it was supposed to be near colorless- the diamond was much lower on the scale- even a light shade of brownish yellow. So I returned it as I felt the item was missrepresented online. It was also some crazy IGA type certificate- basically means they create their own and call it what they want. Don''t get me wrong it was a great dea- had it been what they advertised. As long as they except returns I say go for it and see what happens.

JAG_T2

Rough_Rock
(nvm)

Violet Joetta

Rough_Rock
There are some things I just won''t buy on eBay and real diamonds would be one of them . good luck though, just check their feedback , make sure they are at least 97+ % rating and you should be OK though.

Pearl earrings

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Not sure I would buy a diamond on Ebay. Well maybe if it was a part of a piece of jewelry I really liked and I wasn''t paying too much for it. I did buy a diamond on craigslist though and would up getting it for half the retail price of a similar diamond. Of course I was able to view it before purchasing it though. It''s a very pretty diamond.

I don't recommend it.

I bought my ering stone through ebay - from someone that had gotten an upgrade for her anniversary. Totally legit. I paid around $800 for the stone, it appraised for $3800 (I believe) and was 10 points larger than we had thought.

So, some good things can happen. but they are few and far between!

ETA: it was the stone AND the setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results