shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond offer - i need advice!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bibs79

Rough_Rock
Hello!
I have been offered a mounted diamond, 2.1 carat for approx $2,500. The diamond has not been properly appraised as it is mounted, and quite dirty. On visual inspection it''s a little yellowish and I''m told a bit milky. However, the price speaks for itself.

Any suggestions on what to do???

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/6/2009 7:42:57 AM
Author:bibs79
Hello!
I have been offered a mounted diamond, 2.1 carat for approx $2,500. The diamond has not been properly appraised as it is mounted, and quite dirty. On visual inspection it's a little yellowish and I'm told a bit milky. However, the price speaks for itself.

Hi Bibs

Personally I would rather put the money towards a smaller and far more attractive stone, this one does not sound good. I would pass for sure. The price does speak for itself, you get what you pay for.

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I would feel uncomfortable spending any amount of cash without fully knowing what I am buying. It really depends how passionate you are on having a great quality diamond vs size.

I would also imagine that any jeweller would be able to tell you more other than the weight only, about the mounted diamond. They should be at the very least be able to estimate the colour/clarity. Tha milkiness can be down to cut or clarity, or both.

Good luck with your decision!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get it appraised independently?

bibs79

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice so far.
Here''s a photo of the diamond

diamond bib.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/6/2009 7:42:57 AM
Author:bibs79
Hello!
I have been offered a mounted diamond, 2.1 carat for approx $2,500. The diamond has not been properly appraised as it is mounted, and quite dirty. On visual inspection it''s a little yellowish and I''m told a bit milky. However, the price speaks for itself.

Run away.
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, it does not look good....Ditto running away. It is also visibly tinted, looks brownish to me.

bibs79

Rough_Rock
ok, point taken! :)
Thanks for the advice

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In addition to the above observations about the color, that picture looks wrong to me. Either the stone is set seriously crooked or the picture has been photoshopped. Did you take the picture or is this something from the sellers advertisement?

I presume your question boils down to whether this is a 'good deal'. How can we possibly answer that without better information? There's plenty of diamonds out there in that price point and milky brown diamonds are definitely less expensive than otherwise similar white counterparts but the first question is whether this is what you want. An attractive price on the wrong thing is no bargain after all.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It doesn''t look like a bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results