shape
carat
color
clarity

Your career ladder: ever considered a step down?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
My BS is in Medical Technology and I have my MEd specializing in adult medical programs. As some of you may have read, I have fibromyalgia, which caused me to resign from my last teaching job four years ago. Well, I''ve decided to go back to work this year. I also have 2 kids in high school, one in special education. I have taken over running a little cafe/canteen at the kids'' high school selling snacks and drinks. I''m having a ball!! I''m available for problems with the kids, my schedule is the same as theirs, and I don''t have to use my brain at all! The only difficulty I''m having is mentally accepting going from a quite hefty educator''s salary to minimum wage. Do you think you''d ever make a choice like this for yourself?

tlh

Ideal_Rock
there is something to be said for low/no stress. I made a choice like that several years ago, and it did require some getting used to and adjustement of my spending habits... but the lower stress was way worth it. I''d do it again.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
My DH did this last year. After he was laid off, the only position he could find in his industry was a 2 steps down and less pay, but at least it was a job. He''s so much happier! He not stressed, gets more days off, and gets to actually play golf several times a month (he works on a golf course but was always too busy). The big pill to swallow was that I make more than him now
9.gif

That''s a great way to get back to work and still be there for your family!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I recently left my high school teaching position, and have since decided that I''d like to teach community college instead. It''s not as if I made a lot of money teaching HS, but I''ll make even less teaching CC.

The move is worth it, in my opinion. My quality of life as a community college instructor is much higher as a high school teacher. (I taught CC for two years before deciding to move to HS, so I have the practical experience to make an actual comparison.)

For now, I''m teaching as an adjunct until a full-time position becomes available.

DH and I value quality of life over everything else, so the move is the right decision for me.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I''m currently considering it...it would be a step up in pay/stability initially, but a step down in terms of opportunities for growth, education required, etc. It''s a really hard decision to make. On one hand, the "step down" job would mean less stress and more stability, which would make my personal life less stressed and more stable, but at the same time, I really love what I do, and I wonder if having that void would actually put more stress on me emotionally, thus having a negative impact on the personal life that I''d be taking the job to preserve.

Upgradable, thanks for starting this thread - I''m really inspired by those who have made the plunge. How wonderful that you''ve found a job that fits with your family and makes you happy.

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I did. I taught school for 5 years, and didn't even attempt to find a teaching job when hubby and I moved to a new state. I got a job in a bank and took a significant pay cut. After the bank, I became a retirement counselor and ended up handling disability retirements for 3 years. That job was very stressful because many of the applicants were very ill and some even passed away as I was working with them. It got to me, so I changed jobs to an internal one with the same employer with much less customer contact and took another pay cut. I ended up getting a promotion in that job, so ended up doing better money-wise, and I liked the job sooo much better. I have never regretted going backwards on the career ladder. As my former boss once told me, all experiences add together to make you who you are. I know what I like to do, and I'm glad I didn't continue teaching just because that's what I went to college and graduate school to do!

When I was in high school and college, I worked as a cashier in a grocery store. I told my hubby last night that I'd like to have a job like that again. Glad you found something you're having fun with!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Eventually I will make the change...and mentally I already have.

Right now I'm making a good living in the cosmetics industry, it's a comfortable job. But I've started school to obtain my CADC, which will eventually make me a drug & alcohol counselor. I know my 2nd career won't be as lucrative if we're strictly speaking "money" here...but it will reward me in different ways that my current job will never touch.

I think I'm "okay" with my choice because I realize that certain successes and happinesses mean so much more than a paycheck. There are two types of ways to win in your job...one you take to the bank, the other you take home...if you can't have both, then it boils down to deciding what makes you happiest. Being with you children, well that right there is worth all the money in the world, thats a job perk unlike any other. If you're happy, which you are, the don't worry about the dollars and cents of the issue...feel good that you're fortunate enough to be able to experience this sort of success--a wonderful home/work balance.

Camille

Shiny_Rock
I struggled for two years before I sold my designers' office to the competition. On my 38th B-day I walked away from the baby that took 15 years to build on my own.....not an easy choice. I currently see 'old/fave' clients here and there while my kids are in school but nothing big, they need a full time mother, so far no regrets.
2.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will definitely consider stepping down, once DH is done with school and makes considerably more than me. I would like to either volunteer or work a little at the schools where my kids will go. I also would like to go back in the hospitality industry (only this time not really managing or directing anyone- just part time with the ski benefits though
3.gif
)

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
I don't foresee myself taking a "step down," but I certainly wouldn't eliminate it as a possibility -- particularly if I have children. I know a number of people who have opted for less lucrative but more personally satisfying careers (or even staying at home) and are much happier. I just worry that I wouldn't be as intellectually fulfilled... but that might matter less to me / come about in different ways at some point.

ETA: And I'm in school, so I imagine after a few years back in the workforce I'll feel different than I do now!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is no where for me to step down to since I don''t have a "real job". . .I''m a SAHM.

I completely understand your decision as it''s very rewarding working and interacting with the kids, plus knowing the faculty and becoming friends with fellow parents.

I volunteer in both my kids'' classes, plus am involved with the library and various other activites (like fundraisers). I can''t imagine giving all that up for anything. At least right now. Once my kids are older, I may choose to make money over being strickly a SAHM.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2009 9:44:00 PM
Author: MC
There is no where for me to step down to since I don''t have a ''real job''. . .I''m a SAHM.

I completely understand your decision as it''s very rewarding working and interacting with the kids, plus knowing the faculty and becoming friends with fellow parents.

I volunteer in both my kids'' classes, plus am involved with the library and various other activites (like fundraisers). I can''t imagine giving all that up for anything. At least right now. Once my kids are older, I may choose to make money over being strickly a SAHM.
PUHLEEZ!!!
19.gif
Been there, done that, have the scars!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2009 9:47:55 PM
Author: Upgradable

Date: 8/25/2009 9:44:00 PM
Author: MC
There is no where for me to step down to since I don''t have a ''real job''. . .I''m a SAHM.

PUHLEEZ!!!
19.gif
Been there, done that, have the scars!
hahaha I was thinking - I may be able to step down. Once the kids leave for college, there will be less laundry to do.
1.gif

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
This is a great thread. I am a nurse working on a Leadership Programme within the strategic health authority (people that oversee the NHS for my area, over 6 million people). There is an expectation that following this, we will return on our career paths and work towards being on Trust boards, eg being a Director of Nursing or Chief Exec of an organisation.

We had a talk from the top top boss CEO for the health authority. He was very good and very honest and told us to think about what our own definitions of success were for ourselves, and not be told by others. He also talked to us about the importance of setting down your work life balance and being very clear about boundaries. He talked about doing 16 hour days and told us that if we wanted to do that we could, but if we didn''t we didn''t have to. He talked about definitions of success and getting work life balance wrong, which ended up in the breakdown of his marriage. It was enlightening to hear somebody speak so honestly about this. His view is that if you don''t define your own view of success and get pushed further up and up, into a position that is not for you, then ultimately, you aren''t going to be as effective as you could be.

I am constantly being asked where I see myself in 10 years in this current role. I find it hard to tell the truth. I want to get myself into a position in nursing leadership where I can work 9-5, afford to go part time (3 or 4 days a week) and have a family at home. SO and I get married next year and will be trying for a family as soon as possible, but I can''t afford to be a SAHM. Part of my aspirations are to be in a role where we can afford to do this. I find it difficult to talk about things like this in work, so it was refreshing to hear somebody be so honest.

Those of you have have stepped down, were you previously in roles that you truly, hand on heart, wanted, or were you following other peoples definitions of success for you?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
SapphireLover- I loved what I did, truly loved it!! It almost was my personal identity. Many women take on many roles.... wife, mother, but the one thing that was mine was my teaching. I love to see those women coming back to take control of their lives for themselves and their families!! But as my fibromyalgia progressed I was missing class, and when I was there I couldn''t function to the level that I expected of myself and that I felt my students deserved. I was so disappointed in myself!!! I actually started seeing a counselor to try to deal with the changes that were happen TO and IN me. Ultimately, I decided I needed to quit trying to go back, or scramble and struggle to be the person I though I SHOULD be, and instead accept where I was. That was when I resigned and decided to stay at home and focus on my own wellness (physical, mental, and emotional). It was better for my family, and ultimately better for myself. At this point I''m not ready to recommit myself to that level of stress or mental energy. Thus the new job. I''m kind of testing myself. I''d love to go back into the classroom someday, but if I don''t, it''s okay. I''ve been working with a jeweler in town designing pieces for him, and I''m happy! Isn''t that really what counts in life?

Thomperchik

Shiny_Rock
Upgradable - this is a great thread!

I know my goal in life is to help others. I''ve never really been sure on how to do it, but I''m working on finding a way to do it and still make a living. That was the reason why I received my BA in Sociology. I did social work for about a month, and at the time my 21 year old self couldn''t handle it.
emsad.gif
I decided to go into finance, which I did great, but now I feel like I''m stuck with no where else to go to. I''m done with my MBA, but I''m not sure that I want to stay working for this company or work for a large company in general. I always wanted to be a nurse or doctor, and today I still wonder why I didn''t do it when I had the opportunity. I have however been thinking about making a sudden move to nursing, but I would like to pay my car off first. Not sure if that would be a step down, but it would certainly be more rewarding for me!

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Yep, this is fine to do. You don''t have to do it forever, and they will not swipe your degrees from you.

And hello fellow fibro sufferer. Me too, it''s a b----.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I''m glad this has touched a number of you. I''ve just got to add that I had a BLAST today serving ice cream cones to 500 high school students!!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
"Your career ladder: ever considered a step down?"
No. The thought of taking a step back has never crossed my mind.
ETA I did leave M&A back in 1993 to go the entrepreneurial route but that was a step up, not down.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I was working in real estate/home construction, but I never had any intention to stay and make a long career out of it. I enjoyed what I did, and I was actually promoted within my first year, but again, I knew I was going to be a teacher.

In terms of salary, it would take a long time for me to make the same thing I made as a project manager, but other than that, I don''t see it as a step back.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I went from being a marketing executive to a SAHM - does that count?
emotion-15.gif
Seriously, though, when I met my DH, I got offered a big promotion and move to NY (from DC) but I turned it down. My boss teased me that it was because I had a man in DC (that may have been a small part of it - I had a feeling at the time that he would be "the one") - but mostly, it would have taken me from working 9-10 hours a day to 11-12 hours a day, and I didn''t want the extra hours or stress. I was already making really good money, and I was more interested in having time to enjoy life than climbing a ladder to a level of responsibility I didn''t even want.

Anyway, I glad I never took that promotion, because if I did, I wouldn''t have my great DH and beautiful DS (and baby 2 on the way!) I never miss my career now that I''m a SAHM. I think that''s partially because hanging out with DS is so much fun, but also because I didn''t have a passion for my career - I was in it for the money.

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
I did and it was the best decision I ever made. When we moved to Boston, I had this job working for probably the most ungrateful, two-faced people on the planet. I ended up working on weekends, vacations, breaks, overtime, etc. all without any recognition or impact. It was a nightmare. The salary was so lovely though. But, I left that job to be a nanny. I took a major paycut, but it was the best decision. I was so much happier. Being able to get out during the day and go to the playground and go for a walk and enjoy nature was a major boost for me. Also, not having to have deadlines, subordinates (I hate that word by the way) and all the stress of my other job was fantastic. I really really loved my job as a nanny and if I hadn''t gotten so ill this year and landed on bedrest, it''s exactly what I''d still be doing. At least I know that I''ll be thrilled to bits being a SAHM when my first is born in January :)

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I''ll be taking a step down after having kids.

Currently the plan is to be a SAHM until I''m ready to start my own business. I plan to own a doggy daycare business out of our home (which is affecting the home buying process now) and no matter how I crunch the numbers, if I charge competitive rates, even being full capacity and having zero debt it will be a pretty big pay cut for me. I don''t mind because I am not very interested in the money, but I would love owning my own business and being able to stay at home with the kiddos all day. I think it''s a very tough decision, but am glad you are doing what is best for your health, Upgradeable!

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
I''d consider it. Quality of life is the most important thing. What''s the point in making heaps of money if you have no energy or time to enjoy it? Or to watch the rest of your life pass by while your bank account increases?

I would work out the minimum money you need to have to live a lifestyle you would be comfortable with. Then work out what you need to do to make that. If you can manage on a lower salary, and are happier doing the less stressful job, then go for it!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a step down, but definitely a step-out to be a SAHM. I have never regretted it. Okay, maybe once or twice when the kids were teenagers, but not really. More
time with family, less stress=happy life to me. If you love being with teens-go for it.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I love you!! It so nice to hear someone actually say being with our future adults is rewarding and fun! High school kids are high maintenance if you are involved in their lives, and what better way to stay connected than to be part of their school day. You''ll have plenty of time in a few years when they are out of high school to rekindle your career and pay for college. I say keep enjoying yourself and put work and thinking on hold.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I did when I moved. I get paid less, have less opportunities to move up, and the job title isn''t as prestigious. It''s much less stressful though and right now I''m having fun with it until the next thing comes along.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results