shape
carat
color
clarity

learning about cut, at Tiffany''s! (and Jogia Diamonds)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
I had the most fab shopping trip today. First I met my sister at the new Tiffany jewellery store that has opened in Perth (Australia), and then I went to visit my pal Yogesh at Jogia Diamonds up in Barrack St.

Walking into Tiffany''s was kind of overwhelming, there are so many fabulous designs, especially in the YG, which surprised me, as Tiffany is so associated with the white metals but perhaps that is just the US influence, over here we still seem to love our YG...

I had my youngest baby with me, and the assistant was so fab, and had the time and inclination to let us try on anything and everything (luckily young Miranda was being very good.

The best part came when we went upstairs (used the bathroom... eeek! I didn''t want to leave!) then browsed around the diamond erings. My sister saw ''my'' design, and went to check it out. The girl behind the counter was super accommodating, and got the ring out so that we could look at both the Tiffany and ''my'' ring side by side.

The first thing I said was ''Oh, I think mine''s a higher colour''. The diamond looked dark, and I couldn''t understand why. The assistant said, ''Oh, it''s an F''... I was puzzled, because mine is also an F... She said ''Oh, it''s an ''excellent'' cut'' (although she also told me they grade inhouse now, no longer through GIA) that made me even more confused, because mine is also graded GIA excellent. Why was the difference?

- As an aside, I was happy to say that I was proud of my ring, my ringmaker could hold his head high as his handiwork more than held its own against the Tiffany version of the design. -

Then off I went to Jogia (my kind of trip to the city, hey!!!)where I had bought my original ring. I had an appointment to view a 1.5ct E. Yogesh had warned me over the phone that it might not be as brilliant as my 1.1 F, but I didn''t know what he meant by that, as the 1.5 E was also a GIA ''Excellent''.

Actually, I wasn''t sure what he meant by brilliance at all, to be honest but hankering to get a look at that white colour...

As soon as he pulled out the 1.5, I could see. Brilliance means LIGHT RETURN!!! duh!

Even though both stones were graded GIA Excellent, the 1.1 looked brighter and whiter than the E in some light situations, because the 1.1 was AGS Ideal. From the side though, you could see and appreciate the E colour in the 1.5.

That was the situation with the Tiffany stone as well. It looked darker faceup even though it was an identical grade. The difference between GIA Excellent cut and AGS Ideal cut really is worth considering!

Learn something new every day! More than ever, I can appreciate that cut is king!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Hiiiii Lara!!
35.gif
35.gif

What a shopping trip!!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
hi Strawbs!
35.gif

I know, it is naughty to be back looking at diamonds, is it not?
I haven''t lost my baby weight yet and I needed cheering up, haha.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 11:00:22 PM
Author: LaraOnline
hi Strawbs!
35.gif

I know, it is naughty to be back looking at diamonds, is it not?
I haven''t lost my baby weight yet and I needed cheering up, haha.
Naaaaah not at all!!!
2.gif
2.gif

Pretty shiny stuff is always nice for cheering up!!!

Hope you all are doing well!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results