shape
carat
color
clarity

Broken Engagement

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TryingtoMoveOn

Rough_Rock
After a rocky 11 year relationship, my fiancee and I decided that we no longer wished to remain together. We felt that it would be better to remain friends than to allow our relationship corrode to the point where we longer could stand each other. With that being said, I tried to give him back the engagement ring and he refused to take it back. He told me that he bought it for me and that it was mine to do with as I pleased. While I love the ring, it holds many bad memories for me and I am still left with three children, two of which have disabilities, to take care of. I would like to sell the ring but I do not have the certificates with me as I had to do a hurried move to a different state. All I know about the ring is that I was with him when he purchased it and he paid $2700 for it at a retail jeweler. I recently went to a local jeweler to request an appraisal and was told not to expect more than $300 for the ring. I am in SHOCK to say the least, that it would be worth that little. Is there any other way to go about selling the ring for a fairer value? I can enclose a photo if needed for a quick assessment. Also, what would I need to have with me when attempting to sell it?

33.gif
.. Confused and simply trying to move on with my life.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
first off - I am truly sorry for your broken engagement. Do you know any specs on the ring and diamonds, if you don''t then maybe a visit to a local appraiser to get some sort of paperwork to authenticate your item might help you sell it for a higher value but it will also cost you to do it. Otherwise you can try diamondbistro.com and craigslist (be very careful) or try ebay (but also be very careful -if your not an avid internet shopper/seller then maybe a local person will have to do)

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry. Appraisals can be expensive, so maybe it is best to wait on paying for one until you know it will be worth it. Here are some ideas:

Perhaps you can contact the store where you bought it and they will have a record of the sale and can at least give you information about the size, color, and clarity of the stone as well as the content of the metal, 14 kt. gold, etc.

Do you have access to a computer with internet service? You could try to sell the ring on Craigslist. It's free to post something on that site, but be sure to read the site's advice on how to avoid being scammed! Even without a full appraisal someone may pay more for it than $300 on Craigslist if you can verify that the stone is a real diamond and the setting is real gold.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/17/2009 5:13:35 PM
Author: D&T
first off - I am truly sorry for your broken engagement. Do you know any specs on the ring and diamonds, if you don''t then maybe a visit to a local appraiser to get some sort of paperwork to authenticate your item might help you sell it for a higher value but it will also cost you to do it. Otherwise you can try diamondbistro.com and craigslist (be very careful) or try ebay (but also be very careful -if your not an avid internet shopper/seller then maybe a local person will have to do)
Ditto D&T. So sorry to hear this....Sadly with the ring it is usual to only recoup 30 - 50% of what you originally paid, if the diamond doesn''t have a lab report such as GIA this can be even more difficult...You might have more luck with the websites D&T mentioned, also you could try

www.pearlmansjewelers.com to see if it could be sold on consignment. If a sale results the business take a commission. Also this article might help.

http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/66/1/A-consumer%e2%80%99s-guide-to-reselling-diamonds.aspx

I wish you the best of luck and hope you can get some money back on the ring
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results