shape
carat
color
clarity

11x9 stone on a size <5 finger?

Hi all! Since my OEC ring is taking longer than anticipated, I started perusing Instagram for CSs again. Lo and behold, I find my holy grail blue sapphire. Only catch? It faces up almost 11x9mm and I would like to wear it on my ring finger, which would be a size 4.25-4.5.

I'm worried it be too big on my finger to wear comfortably and/or it may start to look like costume jewelry on me.

Does anyone have a pic of a 11x9 ish stone on a size 5 or smaller finger that they don't mind sharing?

Thanks in advance!

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
You can try this also!

You can try this also!

Thanks! I've been playing around with those virtual sizers. I still see some skin peeking out underneath it, so I'm hoping it'll work. But I figure once the gem is in a setting and possibly with side stones added, it might end up being too much for me. So I'm hoping folks would share some of their larger stones on smaller fingers to help me see what it may look like in real life.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@AnastasiaBeaverhausen I am waiting on a ring to be finished which will probably be that size or more once the halo is added. The stone is 9.6X 8. I’m a 5 on my left hand. I think it will be totally fine but I love big stones! Esp in elongated shapes. But I think also you would consider if your fingers are long and not just the size. This probably is not very helpful because I have it in the holder and on my middle finger but that’s all I can provide for now! I think the finished ring will be at least one more week.

397E47F9-8141-4432-BB5C-8636D1E22B55.jpeg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
My spess is about 11x9 on a size 3 finger, and I halo'd it too! :lol:

eta: looked it up and its' 11.2x8.4mm. Original thread here:

@AnastasiaBeaverhausen I am waiting on a ring to be finished which will probably be that size or more once the halo is added. The stone is 9.6X 8. I’m a 5 on my left hand. I think it will be totally fine but I love big stones! Esp in elongated shapes. But I think also you would consider if your fingers are long and not just the size. This probably is not very helpful because I have it in the holder and on my middle finger but that’s all I can provide for now! I think the finished ring will be at least one more week.

397E47F9-8141-4432-BB5C-8636D1E22B55.jpeg

I have a ring with a 10x12 amethyst that’s size 6 but here it is on my size 4.75 finger. Hope it helps a little

7757115B-9D08-4298-9198-30AC6E70F2BE.jpeg .

Thank you guys so much for sharing these! Sooo helpful to me. I think I just need to get used to the idea of wearing larger stones. Grrr, I wish I had my 3-stone OEC right now so I can start blinging it up all day every day :lol-2:

Oh and @ForteKitty! Do you know how tall is the setting (or how high your garnet sits off your finger)?

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think the stone you are looking at will be gorgeous on your hand! Go big or go home, right?

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm worried it be too big on my finger to wear comfortably and/or it may start to look like costume jewelry on me.

Most people think all colored stones are the equivalent of costume jewelry! Best case: you are the only one who knows!

I agree that big is fine -- limited perhaps by the so-big-it-flops-over-constantly look -- like the super-deep giant Deco and mid-century (?) aquas.

Gah, I can't decide! So I got a video from the vendor of the sapphire in crappy indoor lighting. Is that extinction I see? If so, it is "that bad"?

I also got a video of the 11x9 sapphire I'm considering (oval one on the left) next to a cushion sapphire I was also considering. What do you guys think??

Gah, I can't decide! So I got a video from the vendor of the sapphire in crappy indoor lighting. Is that extinction I see? If so, it is "that bad"?

I also got a video of the 11x9 sapphire I'm considering (oval one on the left) next to a cushion sapphire I was also considering. What do you guys think??

Tagging folks for input. Sorry if I forgot anyone!

@blingbae @Django0413 @Mreader @Tourmaline @ForteKitty @PinkAndBlueBling @LilAlex @Cerulean @Spring Day @voce @LD @T L @Acinom @Bron357

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I’m not good at all with colored stones @T L and @lovedogs may offer more insight!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tagging folks for input. Sorry if I forgot anyone!

I think it's pretty! Nice hue (if accurate) and nice tone -- rich and vivid but not dark. The oval one, I mean. The square cushion looks dull. Odd that the forceps view is not rocked back and forth, etc.

Dimensions might help us gauge if it likely to be problematic (I guess change a few tenths of mm to discourage snipers).

Heated, I presume?

The difference between a $3K per ct and $10K per ct stone may not be visible in vendor videos, imo.

I think it's pretty! Nice hue (if accurate) and nice tone -- rich and vivid but not dark. The oval one, I mean. The square cushion looks dull. Odd that the forceps view is not rocked back and forth, etc.

Dimensions might help us gauge if it likely to be problematic (I guess change a few tenths of mm to discourage snipers).

Heated, I presume?

The difference between a $3K per ct and $10K per ct stone may not be visible in vendor videos, imo.

Thanks for the input! Yes, both are heated. Currently uncerted but vendor is willing to send to GIC, which for a "local" option is good enough for me. The oval is the 11x9 option, whereas the cushion is a bit under 9x8mm.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I read too fast and didn’t see the part with the cushion. Definitely the oval it looks more fiery - the cushion looks a bit flat to me.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love that oval! It's not overly exciting indoors, but I feel that's just his video. It's very stunning in the vendor's hand shot! The cushion doesn't seem as "blingy" to me. I would go for it!

Thanks all for your input. Unfortunately, my HG sapphire is just waaay outta budget right now. So I had to pass on it. But one day, one day I will get my HG sapphire!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I actually own a ginormous Sapphie ring too! It is a 3 tier 10 gramm Plat hand made ring sapphire 5.65 and double cluster of diamonds about 2.5 cts. After wearing it in the winter a lot everything else felt too small and that ring did not feel too big at all. Now I am keeping it more for special occassions and I tend to bling it up more in winter and go more delicate in summer. But too big? No such thing. I am about size 5 on my left hand but I am also in the camp that thinks delicate hands and big rings are stunning! So no, not too big especially when it comes to CS.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results