shape
carat
color
clarity

Other than going to the gym....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
what other stuff you do to keep your body fit?

I''m thinking of quitting my gym. It''s just boring. I''d love to know what others do to stay fit. I mean exercise wise. I love to exercise but the gym feel so boring to me lately. Anyone care to share any thoughts?

Thanks!!!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
well before I got married, had kids, and moved to another state. I used to hike 3-4 times a week from .5miles and upwards mild- to moderate level, dumbells, aerobics class offered through community education around the school district and every morning my room mate and I used to live a block from a high school and we'd run their track 1-2 mile. During the winter, ski, snowboard, ice skate snow shoeing (expensive hobby though a lot of money invested in those gear), oh yeah and shovel snow.

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
I walk everywhere! But, of course I''m in a city, so it''s easier because I can walk to anything I need and it doesn''t get bored.

Before I got pregnant and got pneumonia at the same time, I used to average between 3-5 miles a day (I was a nanny and walking is awesome with infants. They love it!)

Now, I can barely make it up a flight of stairs or to the corner store, but walking is really what helped me shed the weight (40 pounds total) and keep it off.

Good luck!

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
DH and I just canceled our gym memberships for the same reason. I think the gym is so boring and I just cannot get into it! Three memberships and cancelations later I think I''m done with gyms for good.

We started swimming and playing tennis which are things that we actually WANT to do. We do one or the other everyday. Swimming is fun because it''s, well, swimming, and tennis is fun because we can be competitive with eachother.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I like the gym, but cancelled our membership to save money. I have an elliptical at home that I use occasionally but I prefer to be outdoors, walking, jogging, and hiking.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Do you do your own thing at the gym or do you attend classes? If you haven''t tried a class i would give that a go before making up your mind. I HATE to absentmindedly jog on a treadmill or sit on a stationery bike. I am a fairly self-motivated person, but even on the best of days i''ll put in a half-hearted effort. Classes however don''t get boring to me and i can easily do 5 or so a week (and have done so for 15 years now). I think it''s the changing choreography, the group energy, the friends who say "lets go for coffee after class'' and the instructor that kinda forces you to be there for an hour that keeps me interested. GIve each class at least 3 tries before making up your mind --you *don''t* need to be coordinated, u just have to give it some time.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Dance class at the local Parks & Rec (or local dance school). Most offer beginning classes for adults.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
When I don''t have access to a gym I walk/run outside (right know I walk because I have an injury), do yoga - which can be a class or video. At one point I was running 3 days a week and doing yoga 2 days a week. I was very happy with the results.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I walk my dog for a mile each morning, and then a couple more miles throughout the day in the summer time. It''s actually done wonders for my figure this summer, which has surprised me. I broke my elbow six weeks ago so I had to lay off sports, but I''ve lost weight from all the walking.

I rollerblade, roller skate, bike, run, hike, and swim when I don''t have any broken bones. Basically anything that I can do outside for fun. We used to play beach volleyball when we were in the city, and we play a lot of bags when we have house parties. Though, I guess bags isn''t exactly a workout.
3.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to second the advice to try a class if you haven''t already. They''re the only thing that brings me into the gym during the winter months.

Also--I lost all my freshman weight in college from doing the Tae Bo tapes. They''re cheesy, but the original hour long tape kicked my butt.

I was in a kickboxing club for years, too, and that was the best workout EVER. I had to do martial arts as well to be in the club, I''ve never been in better shape.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Gym bores me too!!

I play tag rugby twice a week, go for a run maybe twice a week or so. Some of those times I run for 2 mins, walk for two mins. It keeps your heart rate in the optimum fat burning zone. I have a dog, so that gets me out for those walks/runs. I also swim on the weekends, not too energetically though, just some lazy laps! I do spinning classes, they're great, I find the time flies.

I used to walk to work every morning, it took about an hour. I work somewhere else now, too far to walk. I took salsa classes last year, they're great to work up a sweat. FI and I play tennis about once a week or so, whenever there's time.

Definitely join a class at the gym or take up a sport! It's so much easier to exercise when it's fun, or when there's a purpose to it. I find it so difficult to motivate myself to get to the gym.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I was taking a beginner''s dance class with some friends, and it was fanTAStic! I also enjoy walking my dog and swimming.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm with you joelly, I find the gym about as much fun as cutting my toenails. In the warmer months I enjoy lap swimming, and in the cooler months like now I run and have more recently taken up cycling again. I never drive to the shopping centre or supermarket, I'll either walk or ride. I LOVE cycling, and it is great to knock you into shape. It's done wonders for my fitness after only a few months!

I was in a competetive calithenics team for many years, and seeing as this year we are having a year off I really needed to do something to replace it, as it is very physically demanding, and good for me! I hope the team regroups again next year, it's great for fitness and fun!

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for trying classes. I was an athlete my entire life so in comparison to playing sports, running on a treadmill is like watching paint dry. But, I find I really enjoy step class, combat class and a few others I''ve tried. I also agree with Jas12 to make sure you try a few times because the first time you''ll want to quit within minutes because you feel like an idiot. It gets better.
2.gif
21.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Swim. Walk, run, cycle outdoors.

cheers--Sharon

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I hate the gym!
14.gif
15.gif
38.gif
Was that clear enough!
9.gif
I take walks at the beach and work out at home using DVDs or Fit TV. I keep some weights here because I''m at such high risk for osteoporosis. I really need weight bearing exercise.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/12/2009 2:32:03 PM
Author: Burk
Another vote for trying classes. I was an athlete my entire life so in comparison to playing sports, running on a treadmill is like watching paint dry. But, I find I really enjoy step class, combat class and a few others I''ve tried. I also agree with Jas12 to make sure you try a few times because the first time you''ll want to quit within minutes because you feel like an idiot. It gets better.
2.gif
21.gif
hahaha... Totally. i took a kickboxing aerobics class,very uncomfortable the first time

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Jazzercise.
I thought it would be cheesey, but I''m totally addicted.
And yoga at home on nights I can''t do class.

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
I use my wii and I am also a major walker. I try to always take the stairs instead of escalators and little things like that. I try to walk with my dog at least a mile every day. I am not a runner. Couldn''t do it at the gym, can''t do it outside, but the walking has really helped make me feel in shape as silly as it sounds.

IluvEmeralds

Shiny_Rock
I am on the I HATE GYMS bandwagon as well. I cancelled my Y membership a long time ago. For me what works is:

1. Running either outside or on my treadmill I do this 5 days a week
2. Interval trainingb (there are a TON of websites with training ideas for this, self.com, shape.com, etc.)
3. P90X videos (I HIGHLY recommend them -THEY KICK MY BUTT!!)
4. Jillian Michaels 30 minute Shred video (I do this when I can''t manage a P90X video -usually when I am too sore).

I have a whole at home gym set up in my garage with a treadmill, weight bench, free weights, stability ball, resistance bands, and a TV for DVD''s....it was the best investment I ever made. When I had a gym membership I went 2 days a week max..now I work out 5-6 days a week because all I have to do is walk to my garage. It''s AWESOME!!

:)ILE

Jen_91909

Shiny_Rock
Bikram Yoga!

I had a borderline unhealthy love/hate relationship with the gym. Nearly a year ago I took a bikram yoga class and got hooked... and it really is a total body toning & cardio workout.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
For me, nothing beats jogging outdoors, or hiking if you live in a hilly area. I only joined a gym when my son was born and could no longer go running during the day alone. Our gym has a daycare, so it gives me a chance to drop him off and work out in peace, otherwise I would just go back to running outdoors every day.

I am lucky because my town has over 100 miles of jogging trails, and I live a few miles from a big state park with lots of hilly, challenging trails, so when the weather is nice on the weekends (and DH watches DS) I still love to get out there. I like running without my iPod, and listening to the sounds of the wind, birds, etc. It''s very meditative.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2009 9:06:16 PM
Author:joelly
what other stuff you do to keep your body fit?

I''m thinking of quitting my gym. It''s just boring. I''d love to know what others do to stay fit. I mean exercise wise. I love to exercise but the gym feel so boring to me lately. Anyone care to share any thoughts?

Thanks!!!
Lots of stuff, and NONE of it in a gym.

I change up my routine (if you can call it that) every few weeks or months. Right now I''m on a running kick (right in time for the heat peak of summer... yuck, bad timing musey), which is actually very new to me. In the past, I''ve done a smattering of pilates, kickboxing, weight lifting/resistance training, soccer/tennis/basketball, and a bunch of other random stuff... always mixed in with dance.

It''s important to change up your routine not only for the sake of keeping your interest, but also because your body needs to be challenged in new ways. It "learns" movements and they become less difficult, and therefore yield lesser results.

Experiment! Do you get a workout channel or five on your TV? That''s a good way to try out new things. Youtube has demo videos of different types of workouts as well, and you can browse through to see what interests you.

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Joelly,

If you don''t mind the pain, paintballing is a good workout and WAY fun!

I have never been a gym member. I do lots of walking and aerobics at home :) Aerobiss used to be my favourite way to get some exercise... until the chilly winter creeps in and I don''t do anything now except for walking.

Also, i work in an office (desk job) and I drink tons of water throughout the day to make sure that i get up periodically to wee. It makes me more active, otherwise my behind will be the size of a house
5.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do a lot of gardening and I walk practically everywhere. If only I could stay away from the Godiva biscuits......

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Team sports! I''m the type of person that needs to feel like I have a responsibility to other people to force me into doing things, lol. So gym buddies are good, but team sports have been the best for me. Right now I have frisbee games or practices 3 times per week (generally about 2 hours/day), and I try to get a track or treadmill workout in once a week. I also want to start rock climbing and maybe kayaking. And it''s all because I feel like the team needs me to be my best, so even though I wouldn''t do this to get in shape just to be in shape, I''m happy to do it so that I can help the team.

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/11/2009 9:35:31 PM
Author: luckystar112
DH and I just canceled our gym memberships for the same reason. I think the gym is so boring and I just cannot get into it! Three memberships and cancelations later I think I''m done with gyms for good.

We started swimming and playing tennis which are things that we actually WANT to do. We do one or the other everyday. Swimming is fun because it''s, well, swimming, and tennis is fun because we can be competitive with eachother.
Ditto! We started playing tennis after a lovely stay at a hotel in Jamaica that had tennis courts. I can''t stand the gym
14.gif
but have discovered something that my SO and I enjoy and it keeps us fit
1.gif

SparklyLibra

Brilliant_Rock
My subdivision is built around 2 (man-made) Lakes and 3 ponds. I enjoy walking around one particular lake, and tend to lap it two times. I bring some bread ends with me to keep me from getting discouraged... I think of it as a chance to bond with the Ducks and Geese, and make sure I get my exercise... Plus I HATE to waste bread, and nobody at our house likes bread ends...

In the winter, just walking in the snow is enough to burn some calories, nevermind shovelling
1.gif

joelly

Ideal_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
You ladies and gents are just awesome!!!! Thank you so much for all your replies. Keep it coming.

I just got back from a trip. Both qtr end and budget just killing me slowly. Got some break now so will shower and got back.

Anyhoo, I am tired of going to the gym. I was an athlete, a basketball team player to be exact. Love to run, catch the ball, and slam dunk!!! Thats me. Also, I was in a baseball team for a while. Now going to the gym and pushing a machine just not me at all. I enjoy ballet, my mom used to force fed it to me when I was a child but now I am going for it, go figure!

I am thinking of quitting this gym routine and join back into my ballet and hiking routine. I quit the ballet class to focus on getting my license exam done. Now its done and time for a leopard.

Skychick

Rough_Rock
+1 for Jazzercise!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results