shape
carat
color
clarity

Punta Cana...anyone ever been?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I''m leaving to Punta Cana, DR in little less than a month and was wondering if anyone''s been there? Wanted to know besides the resorts, is there a MUST SEE in town?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've been, and stayed at one of the Barcello resorts. They were all connected to each other (like 5 I think), and we were advised not to leave the resort properties, for safety reasons. And from the looks of things as we rode in, I could sorta see why. We diidn't question it, as this was truly for real rest and relaxation. So we just hit the beach every day, and the restaurants and bars.

The beach was to die for!
30.gif

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2009 12:57:50 PM
Author: Ellen
I''ve been, and stayed at one of the Barcello resorts. They were all connected to each other (like 5 I think), and we were advised not to leave the resort properties, for safety reasons. And from the looks of things as we rode in, I could sorta see why. We diidn''t question it, as this was truly for real rest and relaxation. So we just hit the beach every day, and the restaurants and bars.

The beach was to die for!
30.gif

thanks so much Ellen...I''m SOOOO looking forward to the beach. I need the break (if you can call bringing all 3 kids a break
33.gif
) but I guess anything out of my apt will do

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2009 1:24:19 PM
Author: atroop711

thanks so much Ellen...I'm SOOOO looking forward to the beach. I need the break (if you can call bringing all 3 kids a break
33.gif
lol It's still considered a break.
9.gif
The kids will love the beach and the water. You can hunt for shells and build sand castles too.
5.gif
(just be really diligent about sunscreen!) I want to think our resort had stuff for kids to do also, I think most do nowadays, unless it's like an all adult resort. We went without my kids, as it was right after my dad died, and I really was stressed. One week there, and I came back without all the tension and pains I went with. I didn't even need the massage that I was determined to get to work out all the stress! It truly is a beautiful place, I'm sure you'll have a ball!

And you're welcome!

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2009 1:44:30 PM
Author: Ellen
Date: 7/9/2009 1:24:19 PM

Author: atroop711

thanks so much Ellen...I''m SOOOO looking forward to the beach. I need the break (if you can call bringing all 3 kids a break
33.gif
lol It''s still considered a break.
9.gif
The kids will love the beach and the water. You can hunt for shells and build sand castles too.
5.gif
(just be really diligent about sunscreen!) I want to think our resort had stuff for kids to do also, I think most do nowadays, unless it''s like an all adult resort. We went without my kids, as it was right after my dad died, and I really was stressed. One week there, and I came back without all the tension and pains I went with. I didn''t even need the massage that I was determined to get to work out all the stress! It truly is a beautiful place, I''m sure you''ll have a ball!

And you''re welcome!

can''t wait. The resort we picked has a great (from what I''m told) kids camp. They have activities all day long
36.gif
. I guess I can relax when my infant sleeps
31.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Yes! We just went to the Paradisus Palma Real in May, and we had a fabulous time. In fact, my two and a half year old just told me today, "Mommy, I want to go back to Punta Cana tomorrow." The resort, room, pool and beach were gorgeous. They had a kids club at our resort that we never got around to checking out, but I heard that it was really nice from some other parents.

We never left the resort because we didn''t rent a car, and didn''t really feel the need to, but we were only there for 5 days. On Fri. or Sat. night they allowed some select local artisans to set up crafts and coffee for sale in the courtyard, where we bought my son a beautiful handcarved and handpainted parrot that hangs in his room, so it was nice that we didn''t even have to venture into town to purchase souvenirs.

I had heard warnings about safety before we left, but I have to say that I found the locals and employees at the all-inclusive where we stayed to be incredibly warm and friendly. For example, as we were walking through the garden on the way to breakfast, an older gentleman who was landscaping the garden rushed over to us and started speaking to us in Spanish. Fortunately, my husband is fluent, and he explained that the man wanted to show my son a coconut. He rushed over to a pile where he had just cut a few off a palm, brought it over to us, and showed my son how to open the coconut with his machete. Then he cut a little hole in the top and offered it to him to drink the coconut water. He explained that he had a grandson the same age as our son, and that his grandson loved watching him do that, so he wanted to do it for our boy. He wasn''t a waiter or bartender doing it for a tip, just a warm and lovely older gentleman who wanted to share a tropical experience with our kid. So many people that we met on the island displayed the same warmth and friendliness, and we were truly touched by the people.

After hearing the safety warnings, I assumed that the DR would be like Jamaica, which I visited 10 years ago, and was actually intimidated and saddened every time that I left the resort. Since I grew up in NYC and have lived in Roxbury, MA, I''m not afraid of a "bad" area, but Jamaica was so depressing, and you truly couldn''t leave the resort. The DR couldn''t have been more different - gorgeous beaches and wonderful people.

I don''t know where you''re staying, but I do recommend bringing a wad of singles with you for tipping, even if you''re at an all-inclusive. My DH would always tip a couple of bucks to our waiters and bartenders, so we received outstanding service, as opposed to those who didn''t tip anything.

Also, if you are staying at the Paradisus Palma Real, the only real complaint that I have about the place was the ridiculous restaurant reservation policy. If you can, try to make reservations before you even leave for the resort, because you have to make them before 3 pm or they won''t let you go to the restaurant of your choice. The day we arrived we had to order room service, because we couldn''t get into a restaurant, which was ridiculous. I am a foodie, so while I didn''t think that the food was the best I''d ever had, most of it was pretty good, and my son really loved the buffet. I would advise you to skip the sushi restaurant - the sushi was pretty awful. I did really enjoy the Market Grill (surf & turf) and the Asian Bistro - can''t remember the name of it.

I think your family will love Punta Cana - let us know about your trip when you get back!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto on the single bills, we did the same and had a waiter for life if we had wanted! In fact, we often joked with him we were going to bring him home with us (we tended to wait too late for dinner, who wants a schedule?, and ate at the same place many times close by our rooms). I kinda think he would have come...

It may be different in different areas of the island as far as safety. The one major gripe I had was the beach at night. I SO wanted to just lay down on a recliner, gaze at the stars and listen to the waves crash. But it was forbidden to be there after dark, and they even had armed gaurds walking the beach. Dissapointing, but I did feel safe, as our room was just yards from the beach on the first floor.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2009 2:31:46 PM
Author: vespergirl
Yes! We just went to the Paradisus Palma Real in May, and we had a fabulous time. In fact, my two and a half year old just told me today, ''Mommy, I want to go back to Punta Cana tomorrow.'' The resort, room, pool and beach were gorgeous. They had a kids club at our resort that we never got around to checking out, but I heard that it was really nice from some other parents.

We never left the resort because we didn''t rent a car, and didn''t really feel the need to, but we were only there for 5 days. On Fri. or Sat. night they allowed some select local artisans to set up crafts and coffee for sale in the courtyard, where we bought my son a beautiful handcarved and handpainted parrot that hangs in his room, so it was nice that we didn''t even have to venture into town to purchase souvenirs.

I had heard warnings about safety before we left, but I have to say that I found the locals and employees at the all-inclusive where we stayed to be incredibly warm and friendly. For example, as we were walking through the garden on the way to breakfast, an older gentleman who was landscaping the garden rushed over to us and started speaking to us in Spanish. Fortunately, my husband is fluent, and he explained that the man wanted to show my son a coconut. He rushed over to a pile where he had just cut a few off a palm, brought it over to us, and showed my son how to open the coconut with his machete. Then he cut a little hole in the top and offered it to him to drink the coconut water. He explained that he had a grandson the same age as our son, and that his grandson loved watching him do that, so he wanted to do it for our boy. He wasn''t a waiter or bartender doing it for a tip, just a warm and lovely older gentleman who wanted to share a tropical experience with our kid. So many people that we met on the island displayed the same warmth and friendliness, and we were truly touched by the people.

After hearing the safety warnings, I assumed that the DR would be like Jamaica, which I visited 10 years ago, and was actually intimidated and saddened every time that I left the resort. Since I grew up in NYC and have lived in Roxbury, MA, I''m not afraid of a ''bad'' area, but Jamaica was so depressing, and you truly couldn''t leave the resort. The DR couldn''t have been more different - gorgeous beaches and wonderful people.

I don''t know where you''re staying, but I do recommend bringing a wad of singles with you for tipping, even if you''re at an all-inclusive. My DH would always tip a couple of bucks to our waiters and bartenders, so we received outstanding service, as opposed to those who didn''t tip anything.

Also, if you are staying at the Paradisus Palma Real, the only real complaint that I have about the place was the ridiculous restaurant reservation policy. If you can, try to make reservations before you even leave for the resort, because you have to make them before 3 pm or they won''t let you go to the restaurant of your choice. The day we arrived we had to order room service, because we couldn''t get into a restaurant, which was ridiculous. I am a foodie, so while I didn''t think that the food was the best I''d ever had, most of it was pretty good, and my son really loved the buffet. I would advise you to skip the sushi restaurant - the sushi was pretty awful. I did really enjoy the Market Grill (surf & turf) and the Asian Bistro - can''t remember the name of it.

I think your family will love Punta Cana - let us know about your trip when you get back!

Thanks Vespergirl...We are staying at the MELIA CARIBE TROPICAL. I will def. bring lots of singles for tips! I will look into their restaurant policy...thanks for the heads up. I can''t wait..I need to get out of Manhattan for a while...I need to breathe in the ocean air.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2009 12:40:29 PM
Author:atroop711
I''m leaving to Punta Cana, DR in little less than a month and was wondering if anyone''s been there? Wanted to know besides the resorts, is there a MUST SEE in town?
No, there is really nothing to see at all in this part of the DR except that magnificent beach!! If you do want to do an off the resort excursion, there are many to choose from, but Punta Cana is totally about the beach. There is none better (caribbean) in my mind.

Feel free to walk the beach and if you do choose to go off the resort, it is perfectly safe. Check out the Punta Cana forum on trip advisor, for all the information you could ever want.

Have a wonderful, relaxing family vacation!!
10.gif

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2009 9:14:36 PM
Author: hlmr
Date: 7/9/2009 12:40:29 PM

Author:atroop711

No, there is really nothing to see at all in this part of the DR except that magnificent beach!! If you do want to do an off the resort excursion, there are many to choose from, but Punta Cana is totally about the beach. There is none better (caribbean) in my mind.

Feel free to walk the beach and if you do choose to go off the resort, it is perfectly safe. Check out the Punta Cana forum on trip advisor, for all the information you could ever want.

Have a wonderful, relaxing family vacation!!
10.gif

thanks so much! I will look into the trip advisor!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results