shape
carat
color
clarity

After Divorce, Reselling of Engagement Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wbwarnerb

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone. I''m hoping to get some advice on reselling a diamond ring. I went ahead and browsed the forum and searched for "resell" and I didn''t find anything that truly applied to my situation.

Basically my wife left me and left everything behind - including the engagement ring. She allowed me to retain all posessions through our divorce. So it''s been a year and I would like to sell the ring. I''ve read that most people are lucky to get a 50% return on the ring. At this point I''d be happy with that.

My problem is, I can''t find a jewler in my area (Glendale California) who is willing to buy. The last one told me I should consider pawn shops (he didn''t even look at the ring.) I''d imagine a pawn shop would prob not even give me 10% of the value. It''s rather depressing.

I''m not sure of the quality of the ring. It''s a half carat from Robins Brothers. I paid $1300 6 years ago. If I could get $500 - $650 I''d be happy. But no one will look at the ring to buy. All I get are jewlers who want to sell me an appraisal (which I haven''t done yet) - but they all make it clear that even though it''s appraised for a value they won''t buy it even greatly discounted.

Please forgive my ignorance on this process and thank you for your time.

Brian
[email protected]

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
Sent you a PM~~

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you tries a search for "selling" and/or "sell" you'll get a bunch of results, but the overall picture is not going to be encouraging. 50% of price sounds realistic if the piece is sellable (not damaged, broken, whatever). It seems like you are not in a rush since you waited for a year: how about E-bay? No matter where you sell, knowing something (color and clarity and approx weight will be enough for Ebay and most buyers outside pricescope)about that little diamond will help lots. Actually, for a nice, afordable diamond ring, I do not foresee a long shelf life on Ebay: these rings at about $500 go away reasonably fast. Why not try?

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
When my friend got divorced, she sold her ring through a local B&M jewelry store. The store agreed to put it in the window and she got a percentage of what it sold for. It was a very high-end diamond--2 ct emerald, D VVS2, in platinum with baguettes-- so i don't know if that had soemthing to do with their willignness to resell it for her.

Good luck.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
There have been resale questions...try searching for 'selling a ring' or similar.

Anyway, eBay will maybe net you around 20-30% of your original cost, you may get lucky with something more.

Pawn is around 10-15% of what you paid.

Try consignment with a local jeweler. Maybe a smaller one with a more boutique type store. Or you can always try to unset the stone, and trade in the stone for something else..e.g. a watch for yourself. I would end up doing this because the value of the ring is not very high. If you can trade in the stone for around $1000 or similar, then you can get a really nice watch or similar and the ring/diamond with bad memories is gone, and you managed to turn it into something good for yourself without taking a real loss.

I always have a problem re-selling things for much less than I paid, if you know a value as what you paid, in your mind anything significantly less is disappointing.

Good luck and sorry to hear about your situation. Hang in there, the dark times will pass.

serena92012003

Rough_Rock
would u sell it any cheaper.
twirl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results