shape
carat
color
clarity

Resizing platinum

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

amy28

Rough_Rock
When we bought the setting and had my ring made last month, I was worried that the 6.5 was a little too tight on my finger. But I knew a 7 would be way too big so I told the jeweler to split the difference and make it 6.75. Wellllll, it is too big. After wearing it for a month, I realize I can shake it off my hand if I try hard enough and it always lists to one side or the other. I have been told your finger is smaller in the winter and that once I get the wedding band, it should also help stabilize it.

But I asked the jeweler last night and he said to resize it now would leave a mark in the band. He said it would be on the bottom and no one would see it, but of course, I would know it was there and freaked out at the prospect. So I said I would think about it. Does anyone know a way to resize platinum without leaving a mark???

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Do you have an eternity setting or an engraved pattern going all the way around the ring, or something like that? If the palm-side of the ring is plain, it should be easy for a competent jeweler to resize your ring without leaving a mark. I've had this done on numerous occasions.

However, do bear in mind that it's the dead of winter and you're wearing your ring alone. Try it on with a band; wear it for a few days. Take a trip to the Southern hemisphere and wear it there. You might find that it fits, after all.

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with glitterata. Before you do anything, make sure that the ring is indeed too big for your finger. There are times when my hands are cold and my rings feel very loose. My e-ring will fall back and forth on my finger when it's really cold (well, as cold as it can get in Los Angeles). There are also times in the summer when my fingers really feel bloated and big and I have a hard time putting my rings on. Most of the time, when my fingers are at their normal size, there is absolutely no problem with the fit of my rings. My fingers change size a lot, especially when it's really hot or really cold. It sounds like the ring is indeed too large, but make sure it really is an incorrect size before resizing it.

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Laser resizing leaves no mark - your jeweler probably doesn't have access to the latest (very expensive) technology. Try someone else who can assure you that they will leave no sizing mark.
10.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I've had several platinum rings resized with no mark...Find another jeweler to do it.

bacon

Rough_Rock
On a normal ring there will be no sizing mark left by a competent jeweler

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember reading Joe Bacon's posts on that other site (DT) and that saw that he was a very accomplished platinumsmith and appraiser. I always remember a ring which was posted there made by Mr Bacon which was a platinum solitaire with some small diamonds and the ring had a very unusual modern twist to it. I wish I could see the picture again but saved it to my hard drive and then lost it. Could Mr Bacon or anyone else who remembers the ring post a picture of it. It was a beautiful engagement ring made for a customer who posted on diamondtalk.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results