shape
carat
color
clarity

heirloom engagement ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

acw13

Rough_Rock
My fiance got this ring off his mother and gave it to me! This was his great aunt''s ring that she left to his mother in her will. I would like to know what everyone thinks of it, what time period this style was most popular, the family does not know much about the ring as his great aunt kept mostley to herself.

auntjuliaring1.jpg

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Do you have other photos?

acw13

Rough_Rock
Here is a side view of the ring, there are 3 tiny solitaires on each side.

auntjuliaring2.jpg

acw13

Rough_Rock
and here it is on.... so lovely!

auntjuliaring3.jpg

acw13

Rough_Rock
I am also wondering what cut this diamond may be, I am thinking an OEC? Any thoughts??

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
What a lovely heirloom! It looks like it might be from the 1920s.

It''s hard to tell the cut of the diamond from those photos.

acw13

Rough_Rock
I was thinking it might be from the 1920''s too, my fiance''s great aunt was born in the early 1900''s and it''s her engagement ring, I am going to take it to be appraised and get all the details.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
It does look like an OEC. I think I'm seeing an open culet in there. I'd love to see a straight-on shot of the stone. The setting looks older than the 20's to me, though. My initial thought was the 30's. Not a lot of difference, but there's something about the prongs that just look later. Could just be the way the ring wore or the photos, or I'm out of my mind.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 8:04:57 PM
Author:acw13
My fiance got this ring off his mother and gave it to me! This was his great aunt''s ring that she left to his mother in her will. I would like to know what everyone thinks of it, what time period this style was most popular, the family does not know much about the ring as his great aunt kept mostley to herself.
I think this ring is un-usual in that it looks like a transition style...when one style is coming in and one is going out of favor with the public...and the two styles are shown in the piece...I see the romance of the late teens early twenties and the strong straight lines of the next era(early deco)....that were popular into the thirties...the diamonds are old cuts and the double prongs are very cool!Was this her original ring or could the center diamond have been reset at a later time....the way the cener stone is set ...up and away from the ring in a heavy plain crown....is not usual for an early ring.....either way...I REALLY LIKE THE RING!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t make out enough details to tell if the stone is an OEC but the design is very unique and pretty.

acw13

Rough_Rock
This is to my knowledge her original engagement ring, I''ve got an appointment for an appraisal and I am very excited to see what they say about it! Here is a top view of the ring...

auntjulring4.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too much glare and sparkles for me to see the facet pattern.
9.gif
Does it appear to have a "hole" right down the center of the diamond?

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 9:56:30 PM
Author: Chrono
Too much glare and sparkles for me to see the facet pattern.
9.gif
Does it appear to have a ''hole'' right down the center of the diamond?
On the second pic the diamond shows its larger size culet.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is beautiful. I have no idea on when it was made, but it is gorgeous. Wear it in good health.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Can''t tell you anything about it except that its very pretty
1.gif

Joane

Rough_Rock
That is a very pretty ring, acw13. Wear it in the best of health! My first impression of the era was early 1940s. I could be wrong but that''s how it struck me. I go along with jewelerman''s comment that it looks transitional only I would say transitional late ''30s-early ''40s.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Lovely ring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It''s difficult to tell from the pics, but looks to have the characteristics of an OEC. Would love to see more photos, in natural daylight (diffused sunlight is best, for example outside under a leafy tree to get a beautiful color show from those chunky facets, or on a windowsill out of direct sunlight, but where it''s bright), macro mode, no flash, face up.

Congrats on a beautiful ring!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely ring and how wonderful that it belonged to your FI''s great-aunt! I''m curious if you had the appraisal done and what they said.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring. I''m also curious about the appraisal results.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results