shape
carat
color
clarity

Overwhelmed - running out of time

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Agdoc2001

Rough_Rock
I''ve been reading the forums here in spurts for several months. Every time I feel like I have a handle on what I want and what to look for, I read a couple more posts and realize that there is much more to learn than I could ever possibly have the time for.

I am running VERY short on time to get this ring and am desperate for suggestions and/or advice.

What I want:
Round, G-H, VS1-VS2, H&A, 1.25-ish

I''m having trouble finding anything in that size at many of the standard PriceScope dealers under 9k. Those that do have them...USA Cert and SuperbCert/Excel don''t post pictures, so I am very concerned about whether these are true H&A diamonds. I live in the same state as Whiteflash, so tax pushes their diamonds too high for me.

I want to buy something that fits my specs, but at the same time I feel comfortable that I am purchasing a "true" H&A that conforms to a high set of standards. Please help!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2009 11:38:03 AM
Author:Agdoc2001
I''ve been reading the forums here in spurts for several months. Every time I feel like I have a handle on what I want and what to look for, I read a couple more posts and realize that there is much more to learn than I could ever possibly have the time for.

I am running VERY short on time to get this ring and am desperate for suggestions and/or advice.

What I want:
Round, G-H, VS1-VS2, H&A, 1.25-ish

I''m having trouble finding anything in that size at many of the standard PriceScope dealers under 9k. Those that do have them...USA Cert and SuperbCert/Excel don''t post pictures, so I am very concerned about whether these are true H&A diamonds. I live in the same state as Whiteflash, so tax pushes their diamonds too high for me.

I want to buy something that fits my specs, but at the same time I feel comfortable that I am purchasing a ''true'' H&A that conforms to a high set of standards. Please help!!!
We can certainly try to help, what is the budget for the diamond itself please? Are you open to SI clarity if verified eyeclean by a trusted vendor if that would help the budget if needed?

Agdoc2001

Rough_Rock
SI-1 ok if verified! Actual budget for diamond is 9k. Thanks!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2009 12:19:11 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
This?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5933/

Meet everything except that it has Medium Blue Fluor, undetectable under most conditions. Check with GOG to make sure and also to see if it is eye-clean.
I don't know if this one is sold as h&a, it usually mentioned if it is, I don't know if having hearts and arrows images provided definitely means a particular diamond is sold as h&a from GOG.

Jon could you clarify please if you are out there?
35.gif
I notice the optical symmetry on the above diamond is ' premium' whereas the h&a diamonds is usually ' superior.'

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmm.. true, hearts image is slightly off. Sorry, but I would not give it up as a choice, looks good in the ASET/IS.

Ribbon Ring

Rough_Rock
Some people absolutely have to have h&a, but make sure you''re one of them. There are some very beautiful diamonds that are not h&a that are more affordable as a result.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2009 12:31:34 PM
hmm.. true, hearts image is slightly off. Sorry, but I would not give it up as a choice, looks good in the ASET/IS.
No absolutely unless as the OP said he was particularly concerned as he wanted a ' true' h&a cut and reiterates that is still a big priority for him.

Agdoc2001

Rough_Rock
I have been focusing exclusively on the H&A diamonds - this has been more of a strategy to compensate for lack of knowledge, than an absolute necessity. Of course, if given the choice between 2 similar stones, I would certainly prefer the H&A.

Ribbon Ring

Rough_Rock
I don''t want to mix things up more when you''re running out of time, especially since this is only my personal opinion. But I''d rather give up on the hearts and arrows and get a SI1 or even better a VS2 then keep the hearts and arrows and get an SI2. The whole hearts and arrows phenomenon has created better buying opportunities for those of us who''ll settle for a great performing diamond that isn''t h&a. But if you''re one of the ones in the h&a category then you should stick with it.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2009 12:53:47 PM
Author: Ribbon Ring
I don't want to mix things up more when you're running out of time, especially since this is only my personal opinion. But I'd rather give up on the hearts and arrows and get a SI1 or even better a VS2 then keep the hearts and arrows and get an SI2. The whole hearts and arrows phenomenon has created better buying opportunities for those of us who'll settle for a great performing diamond that isn't h&a. But if you're one of the ones in the h&a category then you should stick with it.
SI2 can actually be great buys if verified eyeclean by a trusted vendor, especially like Jon from GOG - but it does indeed depend on priorities and budget plus personal preference. If a ' true ' h&a diamond is what is wanted then something might have to give to get this on the budget such as size, colour or clarity. Lower clarity might be the best way to accomplish this as if eyeclean there will be no visual difference between VS and SI, colour might be perceptible.

Agdoc2001

Rough_Rock
Lorelei,
You''re probably right. I will likely have to give up something with my current budget - I suppose I''d prefer to give up a little size first. Especially from a dealer with a lifetime upgrade policy.

Since you both have been sending a lot of stones from GOG, I ran a search there. Any thoughts on the following compared to what you''ve sent so far?

Shape: Round
Carat Weight: 1.09ct
Color: G
Clarity: VS2
AGS Cut Grade: Ideal
est GIA Cut Grade: Excellent
AGS Light Performance: Ideal
Optical Symmetry: Superior
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Girdle: 1.52%
Culet: None
Lab Report: AGS
Lab Report #: 6673701
In House: Yes
Width: 6.62mm
Length: 6.65mm
Depth: 4.08mm
Table Percentage: 55.66%
Depth Percentage: 61.47%
Crown ∠: 34.21°
Crown Depth: 15.03%
Pavilion ∠: 40.89°
Pavilion Depth: 43.17%
Upper Girdle ∠: 42.04°
Lower Girdle ∠: 42.04°
Policy: Lifetime Guarantee

Ribbon Ring

Rough_Rock
lol, I guess you have to evaluate your "fear factor". I have a ''fear'' of blemishes and inclusions so I wouldn''t consider anything lower than an SI1 but would prefer an VS2 (and since I also have a fear of going broke I really don''t care about anything above VS2). But if you have a greater fear of a diamond that does not perform at near perfection then you probably wouldn''t settle for anything other than h&a. Access your fear factors and then take the best advice anyone can give, which Lorelei mentioned above, find a trusted vendor.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Everything looks good to me for the 1.09c

Agdoc2001

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the assurance! I feel a lot better about making a buying decision when I have the stamp of approval from some of you Pricescope veterans.

Another question...Is it $600 better than this one?

Carat Weight: 1.08ct
Color: H
Clarity: VS1
Fluorescence: None
Lab Report #: 9660307
Width: 6.56mm
Length: 6.59mm
Depth: 4.07mm
Table Percentage: 56.79%
Depth Percentage: 61.83%
Crown ∠: 34.91°
Pavilion ∠: 40.81°

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not to me, but I am color insensitive and can go down to I/J color.

Take a look a this video and see where your comfort zone is. Also take into account of what your fiancess wants.
http://vimeo.com/3288695

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2009 1:10:15 PM
Author: Ribbon Ring
lol, I guess you have to evaluate your ''fear factor''. I have a ''fear'' of blemishes and inclusions so I wouldn''t consider anything lower than an SI1 but would prefer an VS2 (and since I also have a fear of going broke I really don''t care about anything above VS2). But if you have a greater fear of a diamond that does not perform at near perfection then you probably wouldn''t settle for anything other than h&a. Access your fear factors and then take the best advice anyone can give, which Lorelei mentioned above, find a trusted vendor.
You are not alone!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2009 1:21:16 PM
Author: Agdoc2001
Thanks for the assurance! I feel a lot better about making a buying decision when I have the stamp of approval from some of you Pricescope veterans.

Another question...Is it $600 better than this one?

Carat Weight: 1.08ct
Color: H
Clarity: VS1
Fluorescence: None
Lab Report #: 9660307
Width: 6.56mm
Length: 6.59mm
Depth: 4.07mm
Table Percentage: 56.79%
Depth Percentage: 61.83%
Crown ∠: 34.91°
Pavilion ∠: 40.81°
LOL! I am going into my fifth year of doing this now! I wonder how many diamonds than translates to....
23.gif

Both of the diamonds you posted look great, can you post the links or images please? G and H colour will be very white, no worries there.

Agdoc2001

Rough_Rock
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3697/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4448/

Agdoc2001

Rough_Rock
Where is Brian Gavin based out of? I'm wondering if it's Texas since he used to work with Whiteflash. If so, that would mean sales tax for me...

Oops, looks like it's Houston. That rules that out.

Agdoc2001

Rough_Rock
Stone-cold,
The diamond you posted did not perform as well on the Brilliantscope as the others. How much importance would you put on something like that?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would ask GOG to compare them side by side and give you their opinions. Not really trusting of BrilliantScope/Gemex report as from what I have gathered, the data are not repeatable, meaning you can run the same stone multiple times and get different results.

Agdoc2001

Rough_Rock
Interesting....thanks a lot!

Agdoc2001

Rough_Rock
One more comparison I received from another vendor. Would someone please give me their thoughts on the following:

H, VS2

Wt 1.104
Dia 6.61-6.63
Depth 4.07 (61.5%)
Pavilion depth 2.84 (42.9%)
Pavilion angle 40.7
Crown height 0.99
Crown angle 34.8
Table 3.80
Cutlet 0.5%
Girdle med-sl thick
Star/Upper ratio 56:44

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 2:28:39 PM
Author: Agdoc2001
One more comparison I received from another vendor. Would someone please give me their thoughts on the following:

H, VS2

Wt 1.104
Dia 6.61-6.63
Depth 4.07 (61.5%)
Pavilion depth 2.84 (42.9%)
Pavilion angle 40.7
Crown height 0.99
Crown angle 34.8
Table 3.80
Cutlet 0.5%
Girdle med-sl thick
Star/Upper ratio 56:44

What kind of report does this last stone have? very weird format but the numbers look good so far.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/26/2009 12:26:42 PM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 5/26/2009 12:19:11 PM
This?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5933/

Meet everything except that it has Medium Blue Fluor, undetectable under most conditions. Check with GOG to make sure and also to see if it is eye-clean.
I don''t know if this one is sold as h&a, it usually mentioned if it is, I don''t know if having hearts and arrows images provided definitely means a particular diamond is sold as h&a from GOG.

Jon could you clarify please if you are out there?
35.gif
I notice the optical symmetry on the above diamond is '' premium'' whereas the h&a diamonds is usually '' superior.''
You hit the nail on the head. It''s craftsmanship isn''t as precise due to Optical Symmetry (does not get Superior) but has the following redeeming aspects ...

a. A GIA Ex/Ex/Ex with AGS Ideal Light Performance.
b. A nice eye clean SI1.
c. Nice size. :)
d. Nice color.
e. Good value considering the above.

The combo of 1.3xct, G SI1 with optics that are confirmed in the zenith caused us to put a lifetime policy on this one though it does fall short of our signature line.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results