shape
carat
color
clarity

Second Thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
I ordered a 2.7mm 3-sided pave eternity ring a couple weeks back and received it in the mail today. It''s really nice for what it is. Sparkles, well made, exactly what I thought I wanted. I''ve been wearing it for a few hours now and am wondering if I should have ordered a ring that was more substantial to wear alone. My origianl idea was to start my stacking collection. Not going to be able to order another stacking ring for at least another year. But, the more I''ve been reading, a 3-sided pave band would end up scratching any other rings against it. So....what do I do?
Keep it and enjoy for now?
Exchange it for something more blingy to wear on its own? (The price difference would not be significant in my decision.)
I also feel guilty for bothering the vendor since this is what exactly I ordered.
I''m torn. What would you do?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
how long do you have on the exchange period? maybe you need some extra days to think about it? if I was torn, I would try and sit on it for a day or two, and think about it some more. But I also know that if I was torn, more likely than not, that i did not make the right decision. its really hard when you buy online as what you have in mind and what you receive isn''t always exact...

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2009 5:51:33 PM
Author: D&T
how long do you have on the exchange period? maybe you need some extra days to think about it? if I was torn, I would try and sit on it for a day or two, and think about it some more. But I also know that if I was torn, more likely than not, that i did not make the right decision. its really hard when you buy online as what you have in mind and what you receive isn''t always exact...
Thank you DT. I will think about it over the weekend. I have a couple weeks to think about it. The thing is, I was well aware of the measurements and specs of it. I''m just a little underwhelmed by the ring and feel really bad about it. Do you think it will definitely scratch other rings if it is part of a stack?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have to ditto D&T...if I''m torn more that likely I''m better off sending it back. It almost always works out better
if I go with that gut feeling.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/8/2009 5:58:11 PM
Author: tigian

how long do you have on the exchange period? maybe you need some extra days to think about it? if I was torn, I would try and sit on it for a day or two, and think about it some more. But I also know that if I was torn, more likely than not, that i did not make the right decision. its really hard when you buy online as what you have in mind and what you receive isn't always exact...
Thank you DT. I will think about it over the weekend. I have a couple weeks to think about it. The thing is, I was well aware of the measurements and specs of it. I'm just a little underwhelmed by the ring and feel really bad about it. Do you think it will definitely scratch other rings if it is part of a stack?
do you have a picture of it? is the diamonds your worried about, the girdle exposed? if metal to metal, then scratching is inevitable. diamond to diamond... oh boy,
40.gif

ETA: don't worry about fealling bad returning or hassling the vendor, this is your ring..... and YOU MUST LOVE IT!!!...

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
Tigian I would definitely return the ring if you are not 100% happy with it. I would get something a bit larger that you are able to wear alone or something as you say without pave that you can stack over the years. It''s your decision you have to love it
35.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I''d like to see a picture of it if you can post one. I think I''d be inclined to return it if I had any doubts, though.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Here are some pictures. It''s been 2 days now that I''ve had this ring. I''m still torn between wondering if this ring will work as a stacked ring or if I should exchange this for something more substantial. What do you guys think?

yypave2.JPG

tigian

Ideal_Rock
My husband tells me it is plenty sparkly. He also thinks it would look better 1/2 a size smaller. I am paranoid about rings being too tight, but I may have overcompensated this time.
38.gif

yypave3.JPG

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Another one. Thanks for looking and the input.

yypave4.JPG

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I remember your earlier thread & looked back to see if people warned you of the scratching issues & it seems a few did. Guess this is the "worrying about it later" part you predicted, huh?
31.gif

Hate it when that happens! Personally, it doesn't seem like you love it. You WANT to love it, but you just don't & all those other "issues" == potential for scratching etc == that you weren't bothered by *before*, now add fuel to the "no likie" fire.

Three-sided pave rings are not great for stacking in my opinion. If you're looking to start a stacking collection -- you are probably going to have an "unsubstantial" ring for a whole year. Maybe you want something MORE substantial for your one year anny? Or maybe you could get your "unsubstantial" single pave eternity band & flank it with two inexpensive silver bands for a year or so ... until you add to your collection.

Whatever you decide: good luck & congrats on your anny!

ETA: And wasn't it 2.4 mm? With pictures to prove it??

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Most of the time when I am doubting something it''s better off for me to return it. Ditto the other''s concerns that 3-sided pave is not great for stacking and will scratch the other rings you put next to it.

I''d buy the wedding band you really want now (if you can swing it) and then buy stacks for anniversaries. They make a great present, I got myself one for our first anniversary last year.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2009 2:29:40 PM
Author: decodelighted
I remember your earlier thread & looked back to see if people warned you of the scratching issues & it seems a few did. Guess this is the ''worrying about it later'' part you predicted, huh?
31.gif

Hate it when that happens! Personally, it doesn''t seem like you love it. You WANT to love it, but you just don''t & all those other ''issues'' == potential for scratching etc == that you weren''t bothered by *before*, now add fuel to the ''no likie'' fire.

Three-sided pave rings are not great for stacking in my opinion. If you''re looking to start a stacking collection -- you are probably going to have an ''unsubstantial'' ring for a whole year. Maybe you want something MORE substantial for your one year anny? Or maybe you could get your ''unsubstantial'' single pave eternity band & flank it with two inexpensive silver bands for a year or so ... until you add to your collection.

Whatever you decide: good luck & congrats on your anny!

ETA: And wasn''t it 2.4 mm? With pictures to prove it??
Wow! You don''t miss a thing, Deco. Yes, yes, I was the dumb one who was going to worry about it later. I really want to kick myself for that. I guess I just liked how the 3 sided pave rings looked when stacked. Some say that it works ok, most say no. It''s so true when people say you hear what you want to hear. I wonder if 2 3-sided pave rings stacked would be ok?
It was 2.4 mm according to the pics and a size 6, but then when the ring came in, the jeweler said it became 2.7mm since they wanted to keep the same diamond weight. Is that common? I was fine with that .3mm difference. Now I want something more substantial. Imagine if I got the 2.4mm. Normally I am not this wishy washy IRL.
Thanks for the warm wishes!

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2009 2:40:54 PM
Author: kcoursolle
Most of the time when I am doubting something it''s better off for me to return it. Ditto the other''s concerns that 3-sided pave is not great for stacking and will scratch the other rings you put next to it.

I''d buy the wedding band you really want now (if you can swing it) and then buy stacks for anniversaries. They make a great present, I got myself one for our first anniversary last year.
This was supposed to be the first ring for my anniversary stack.
38.gif

Maybe I should get a smallish shared prong eternity ring that won''t scratch? aahhhhh...too many options. Btw, I love your 5 stone ring kcoursolle. It''s on my wishlist for the 5 year anniversary mark.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hold the phone! Shared prong eternity rings can scratch too when they''re stacked!! Bead set & channel set & solid metal bands are best for stacking.

Re: two three-sided bands being stacked together -- I think you''d wanna have the soldered together to prevent the rubbing between the diamonds. Diamond on diamond rubbing is the WORST -- because diamonds chip other diamonds.
23.gif
That goes beyond damage that can be fixed by a quick metal polishing. That''s pure DESTRUCTION.
38.gif

You know, there are some bands that look like three stackers already stacked. Maybe something like that could work for yr. 1 yr. anny? Or what about a tri-colored rolling band?

Let us know what you decide!

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2009 3:04:53 PM
Author: decodelighted
Hold the phone! Shared prong eternity rings can scratch too when they''re stacked!! Bead set & channel set & solid metal bands are best for stacking.

Re: two three-sided bands being stacked together -- I think you''d wanna have the soldered together to prevent the rubbing between the diamonds. Diamond on diamond rubbing is the WORST -- because diamonds chip other diamonds.
23.gif
That goes beyond damage that can be fixed by a quick metal polishing. That''s pure DESTRUCTION.
38.gif

You know, there are some bands that look like three stackers already stacked. Maybe something like that could work for yr. 1 yr. anny? Or what about a tri-colored rolling band?

Let us know what you decide!
LOL! Not moving right now! Still in contemplation and am not going to do anything until I''m sure of what I want. One thing I know if that I really, really like the look of pave. So from there, I will figure something out.
Thanks for caring!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I think it is a gorgeous ring, but like Deco I would have serious concerns about stacking other rings next to it. I have three sided pave on my three stone ring and I don''t wear any other rings with it. My jeweler told me that unless I got a band that was made specifically to be worn with it I would have to solder the rings together to prevent damage.

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you are having doubts about the ring, then why waste the money and not like, when you can send it back. If I were you, I would send it back now and stop debating over it.

As for stacking rings, I agree that plain bands and channel set rings are the best for stacking. I wouldn''t want to keep having to get my rings repaired from the rubbing of them together. It''s a beautiful ring, but I just don''t think it is what you wanted it for.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results