shape
carat
color
clarity

Found a RING

GuruTiff

Rough_Rock
I found a ring that appears and I do believe is a real daimond a yellow one. The small stones are missing but the band reads 1/100 10k RGP. –>M-H <--

I can''t seem to upload the pic I have but I''ll try again

Can anyone tell me what all the writing in the band means and the worth of this ring any and all info is appreciated.

THANKS

reader

Brilliant_Rock
The band is Rolled Gold Plate, meaning gold plated. More than likely, the stone is not a real diamond.

GuruTiff

Rough_Rock
The stone has a hole to breath and cut glass

GuruTiff

Rough_Rock
Here it is

0424092225a.jpg

GuruTiff

Rough_Rock
Are there any websites I can even visit that could give me an idea?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/25/2009 5:23:15 AM
Author: GuruTiff
Are there any websites I can even visit that could give me an idea?

An idea on what? Reader confirmed what the hallmarks inside the band mean. To find out if it''s a diamond you''d need to visit a jewellery store or an appraiser. Can you post clearer photos of the ring?

GuruTiff

Rough_Rock
Just the RGP what about the 1/100 or the M-H does that rep diamond color and if it IS a real yellow diamond how rare and valuable are they?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Yup, the photo is blurry, but even with a great photo, no one here can really confirm whether it is or it is not a diamond. The hallmark states that the ring is not golden, but actually gold plated (as already mentioned), and here's what I found online about such hallmarks:

Rolled Gold Plate
Jewelry marked 14K R.G.P. is not 14 karat gold. The R.G.P. stands for "rolled gold plate", which is applying a layer of gold alloy to a layer of base metal. Antique rings, necklaces, and pins made of rolled gold plating were very popular in the 1800s and 1900s. This type of antique jewelry may also be marked "rolled gold plate."
I copied this from: http://www.tentwothree.com/gold_jewelry_information.asp

This means that your ring was plated with 10k gold, and the total amount of gold used accounts for 1/100th of the total weight of the piece. For this reason alone, it's safe to assume that the stone is not a diamond, since no one knowledgable of jewellery would set a genuine fancy colored diamond in a plated setting. Diamond color or clarity is never written in a hallmark BTW.
But if you'd still like to know more about it, here are a few ideas. If you managed to cut glass with it, can you try cutting some ceramic (it tends to be harder than glass)? Do you have a loupe? Can you take a look at the stone with it and say if you see anything inside, and if so, what does it look like? Are there some straight or curvy lines, for example? When you look inside a stone, can you see the edges of bottom (pavillion) facets as single or multiple lines?

If you have a good antique store nearby, take it there and ask if they could verify what the stone might be, or if the ring is worth something.

GuruTiff

Rough_Rock
Awesomely helpful thanks so much..what is a loupe? I''ll try the ceramic and an antique store what is the arrows pointing to M-H though? Thanks again?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/25/2009 7:30:24 AM
what is the arrows pointing to M-H though? Thanks again?

Probably a maker''s mark. Sometimes these can be very easy to reach and find and other times the jeweller is long out of business and the hallmark can''t be traced easily or at all.

If the stone is truly bright yellow M would not be the colour. M is a faint yellow and depending on the cut can even face up quite white.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't seem to find the M-H hallmark. What country did you find the ring in?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2009 7:30:24 AM
what is a loupe?
A magnifying glass.

I agree that M-H is probably a maker''s mark. If it is, that''s a sign that it was probably a piece of good quality costume jewellery. Besides, H and M are two separate color grades for diamonds, and a single diamond can''t be both, an H and an M (not to mention that it would be weird to hallmark that a stone is somewhere between M and H in color
9.gif
).

GuruTiff

Rough_Rock
Some old lady on the street really wieird actually but yah there is an arrow on each side in the band and it says ->M-H<-

GuruTiff

Rough_Rock
In Utah in the United States and the stone is actually very pale yellow

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/25/2009 4:03:25 AM
The stone has a hole to breath and cut glass
I am confused by this...

(then again, it doesn''t take much to confuse me)

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m a bit confused by the entire thing, Lady!

Tiff, take it to a jeweller who can tell you what it is. They may recognise the maker''s mark and will be able to tell you for sure if it''s a diamond or not. Since it''s set in plated gold and someone gave it to you I''d be very surprised if it were a diamond.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
FWIW, glass is only 5 on the Mohs'' scale...quartz is a 7 and can cut glass, sapphires are a 9, golden beryl is an 8...the fact that a stone can cut glass isn''t an indication of a diamond..

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results