shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this cushion a "crushed ice" look?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

angeline_g

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,
I would love to get some expert information from all of you guys on this cushion diamond. I really do not like the "crushed ice" appearance. What do you think of this cushion picture attached? My untrained eyes are having difficulty distinguishing if this is just a smaller faceted modified brilliant, or if it does indeed have the crushed ice appearance. I have seen this diamond in person-and i really loved it, it didn''t look crushed ice, but now i am having doubts because there were no other cushions to compare it to in the store.
The GIA specs are:
J
VS1
56% table 65% depth

thanks for all of your help!!!

smallimage123.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/1/2009 5:21:23 AM
Author:angeline_g
Hello everyone,
I would love to get some expert information from all of you guys on this cushion diamond. I really do not like the 'crushed ice' appearance. What do you think of this cushion picture attached? My untrained eyes are having difficulty distinguishing if this is just a smaller faceted modified brilliant, or if it does indeed have the crushed ice appearance. I have seen this diamond in person-and i really loved it, it didn't look crushed ice, but now i am having doubts because there were no other cushions to compare it to in the store.
The GIA specs are:
J
VS1
56% table 65% depth

I wouldn't call it really 'crushed icy'....Somewhat in between maybe. It is a very pretty cushion and if you have seen it in person and loved it, then definitely worth being on your short list. If you want a chunkier cushion then maybe keep looking, or visit some more stores and see if they have any cushions you can look at to get a point of reference.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 5:21:23 AM
Author:angeline_g
Hello everyone,
I would love to get some expert information from all of you guys on this cushion diamond. I really do not like the ''crushed ice'' appearance. What do you think of this cushion picture attached? My untrained eyes are having difficulty distinguishing if this is just a smaller faceted modified brilliant, or if it does indeed have the crushed ice appearance. I have seen this diamond in person-and i really loved it, it didn''t look crushed ice, but now i am having doubts because there were no other cushions to compare it to in the store.
The GIA specs are:
J
VS1
56% table 65% depth

It seems to me that you have answered your own question, and are now worried about labels more than anything else. If you like it, ignore everything about the label it comes with, and focus on finding stones with a different look to compare it to - don''t worry about what they are called.

"Crushed ice" is not a technical, objective and standardised definition, and there are various degrees of "crushedicedness"
33.gif
. The stone you posted above is not what I would call an ''old look'' cushion, with chunky facets, but neither does it go to the other extreme of multiple internal reflection of facets causing the "crushed ice" appearance. It has a well defined brilliant-cut pavillion that remains clearly visible as such - at least in the photo.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 5:26:03 AM
Author: Lorelei

I wouldn''t call it really ''crushed icy''....Somewhat in between maybe. It is a very pretty cushion and if you have seen it in person and loved it, then definitely worth being on your short list. If you want a chunkier cushion then maybe keep looking, or visit some more stores and see if they have any cushions you can look at to get a point of reference.
Ditto.

Have you looked at any of the videos at GOG on cushions? If not, try and view some really chunky ones, and then decide if you still like how this one looks. If so, it may just be the one!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/1/2009 8:09:46 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 4/1/2009 5:26:03 AM

I wouldn''t call it really ''crushed icy''....Somewhat in between maybe. It is a very pretty cushion and if you have seen it in person and loved it, then definitely worth being on your short list. If you want a chunkier cushion then maybe keep looking, or visit some more stores and see if they have any cushions you can look at to get a point of reference.
Ditto.

Have you looked at any of the videos at GOG on cushions? If not, try and view some really chunky ones, and then decide if you still like how this one looks. If so, it may just be the one!
Good idea Batman!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 8:13:42 AM

Good idea Batman!
Fank you veddy much.

1620862a04f4hqekd.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
This one certainly doesn''t have the really crushed ice look that some cushions have.

But that said, if you love it, who cares whether it''s crushed ice or not- right?

As long as you follow the advice above and make sure you''ve seen a few others to be sure this is what **you** love-go for it!

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like a gorgeous cushion to me. But if you haven''t look at other cushions yet, I suggest you do. One of them (may even be this particular one) will have your name on it and this is the stone which will call out to you.
28.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s not crushed ice but probably another modified cushion cut. Is this the cushion look you are after? Cushions come in so many flavours so look at as many as you can to decide which look you like best.

angeline_g

Rough_Rock
Thanks everybody for your input.
Unfortunately, (diamond wise) I live in Australia (I do love my country though :) ), and at the moment it is extremely difficult to find cushion cut diamonds here, and they are wayyyyyyyyyyyy overpriced for what they are compared to US stock. I don''t know why Australia is so limited for choice!! It sucks. Unless you have 1 million dollars

I have been to Holloway (fantastic- will prob set the diamond) and lots of other jewellers here in Melbourne but many of them will not stock diamonds with a colour < than H and I was looking at a J colour.
I love the chunkier faceted cushions, however they are really few and far between here for some reason and seem to add an extra $5000 or more onto the price. We have looked at antique shops to perhaps find a OMC or the like but again, nothing or a price tag of $25,000 (eekk!!!)
My fiancee and I have gone over the GOG website one million times and wish we lived in America so we could purchase one of their cushions. We know we can get GOG to ship over but we just don''t feel comfortable with the no insurance thing and all the rest of it, so we are trying hard to get something here.
This diamond does look spectacular in person, we will just have to compromise and not get a thick chunky faceted cushion, but perhaps one like this, but i still love it. We have been looking for over 2.5 months and whilst we want to get exactly what we want, we may have to compromise to a certain extent and get a non chunky facted cushion.

Chrono- Yes on the GIA it is a cushion modified.

Thanks guys your all great for advice and help!!! Ill keep u updated on whats happening.
I am prob going to get it set like a Leon Mege, this one
http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=255

angeline_g

Rough_Rock
oh yes, forgot to add with our current aussie dollar being so poor- now i really can''t afford to get a diamond from the US if we had wanted to go down the GOG pathway.
39.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Angline, sorry to hear of your situation, and the dollar. However, this certainly looks like a very nice cushion, and if you love it, it''s not really "settling" too much.
2.gif

My computer won''t pull up the LM info, but I have no doubt it''s gorgeous, whatever it is. And that will be great to work with Gary. Do keep us posted, we''d love to see the finished product!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results