shape
carat
color
clarity

10k vs 14k for a chain necklace - does it matter?

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve spotted a 10k chain necklace I like. I usually buy 14k or 18k. Does it matter if I buy this in 10k? Any downsides? It is a light chain with no pendant.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve spotted a 10k chain necklace I like. I usually buy 14k or 18k. Does it matter if I buy this in 10k? Any downsides? It is a light chain with no pendant.

A 10k chain would be more durable than 14k or 18k.
Is it yellow gold? The color might not be as warm as an 18k chain, but around your neck it will still look great.
It might be a "mind thing", since only you will know what the mark on the clasp says anyway.
I find that most of the time, I cannot tell 10k from 14k by color alone.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
A 10k chain would be more durable than 14k or 18k.
Is it yellow gold? The color might not be as warm as an 18k chain, but around your neck it will still look great.
It might be a "mind thing", since only you will know what the mark on the clasp says anyway.
I find that most of the time, I cannot tell 10k from 14k by color alone.

Yes it is yellow gold and the only way I can tell it apart from 14k is the price lol

Was wondering if it was worth it to go 14k but for this fun purchase I think the look and price is all that matters! Thanks

Lakefront

Shiny_Rock
I’ve think that the alloys in 10k would make it harder than other gold alloys (14,18k) etc. If you plan to use the chain to hang charms of a softer karat, you might find that the charms scratch and wear faster.
Otherwise, the color would be the only difference. If your other jewelry is 14k you probably won’t have problems but 18k will be an obvious difference.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A 10kt chain will wear better but don’t put a 14kt or 18kt pendant on it long term. The chain being “harder” will start chewing into the pendant bale sooner if the pendant bale is a higher carat gold.
The main difference in my opinion is colour. An 18kt or higher gold content looks more golden yellow.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 10K chain that I have worn for years with a 14K Mother & Child pendant, because the color matched so well.
The pendant is holding up fine.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a 10K chain that I have worn for years with a 14K Mother & Child pendant, because the color matched so well.
The pendant is holding up fine.

I was always told no more than 4 karrots difference between neighbouring fingers for rings so im glad to read your pendent is good with the chain

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results