shape
carat
color
clarity

Lost Rings - Insurance Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

toomanyquestions

Rough_Rock
I cannot express how upset I am right now. Saturday we went to a party, came home, I took off my e-ring and wedding band (and another ring), and put them "somewhere". My husband and I looked all over the house yesterday, still no rings. We both remember that I had them on, then had them in my hand, but, neither of us can remember where I may have set them down – they were not in the place that I normally place them at night. I am devastated. I do have additional insurance on my e-ring (through my homeowner’s policy), but I had not gotten additional insurance on the band (it cost slightly less than the 3K personal property/jewelry coverage that my homeowner’s insurance covers).
I do not want to call the insurance company until I really feel I have checked every corner of the house. Has anyone else had an experience like this?? Does anyone have suggestions as to how to handle this? I am almost afraid to call the insurance company – but the policy does say “Theft, loss, or misplacement”. More than anything, I want to find the rings – I am sure everyone understands the sentimental value. The stone in the e-ring was extremely nice – we had spent months finding the perfect stone. Not to mention that I believe that my insurance company will buy us a “comparable” stone, which, as everyone here knows, it will be impossible to really “match”, since every stone is different - I am not sure they will let us ''pick'' a stone.
I am thinking hypnosis...

stephcola

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I am really sorry you are going through this. I had my engagement ring stolen this summer. We were moving locally and had 5 days we needed to stay in a hotel. - bang!!! We called the police immediately and had a report made - because we knew our ins. co would require it. I don't know who you are insured with, but.....years ago I lost a gold bracelet and when we called our ins. co, they said they do not cover "lost items" - only "stolen". You need to read your policy before you make any calls

Also...with a homeowner's coverage...in most cases any jewelry that is not under a seperate rider is only covered up to $1000. per item. You also need to check your policy - it could be more or less. Fortunately, all of my special jewelry has seperate riders and it is worth the $$$$$. My ring was very expensive and I am very glad I did have the coverage because they paid in full

I am at the age now where I always forget where I put things. Not all of them turn up. You might want to start with your insurance company by filing a claim. If you find your rings, you can call them and I am sure they will be delighted not to pay you.

I had a friend who found her jewelry months later and did inform the ins. company because she recd a payout. She returned the $$$ and all was well.

I know you must feel sick....I have for the last few months. I had worn my ring for the last 14 years and I hoped someday to pass it on to my daughter. As of last thursday, have a new one - (which is much nicer than the original) but...it still doesn't quite feel like mine yet.

Good luck to you and if you have any question, please feel free to send me a message. I will be out of town tues- sunday. Whatever you do....don't say you misplaced it or lost it!!!!! Unless you ins. company (and some do) pay for lost item. Whatever you outcome, it is worth the $$$$ to insure every expensive item under a seperate rider. The items that I could not afford to purchase again are covered. For everything else, the $1000. limit will have to do. Regards,

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If you remember having them after you got him then they are still in the house unless you have had visitors. Check you pockets and everything including the trash cans. They are there somewhere. Good luck.

toomanyquestions

Rough_Rock
Well, my insurance is with Erie, and I looked at the policy yesterday - it does say up to 3K for jewelry (without a rider), and the terms are "Theft, loss, or misplacement" - this is my homeowners policy. One MAJOR problem I am having is that I cannot find the rider policy for the ring, so I am not sure what that says. I suppose I can call them and have them fax a copy to me before reporting the loss.
Thanks for the suggestions - we honestly have searched everywhere. I have a neighbor that lost her e-ring for seven years - that gives me hope, but I am so emotional about this right now that I am having trouble trying to look for it anymore. I am giving myself until Friday to find it. We aren't throwing out any trash, etc, etc.

in_need_of_help

Shiny_Rock

If it is in the house, buy or rent a metal detector and hope for the best.

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Just a thought from a scientist.

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Good luck.

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Major bummer...unless someone was in you house they are still there...

I am always losing things especially when I put them 'someplace where I won't forget'

Have you tried looking in your jewelry box, ring box...I never put my jewelry/rings there...except sometimes...then I can't find them...

Best of Luck...you will find them

Mikesgirl

Shiny_Rock
I also had my ring insured with Erie. It was insured for 4500. They offered me less than the 2800 we paid for it. After much argument, we settled at about 3400, which went much farther on the internet than it would have in a jewelry store.

If you have a certificate, you have an edge. If you can prove the color, clarity and cut (particularly if you have numbers on the cut)you can hold out for the best stone. They will offer you cash if you don't like the stones they are offering you, and if it seems insufficient, shop and document what you need to replace the stone appropriately. They will pay out up to the insured amount if you can prove it is necessary.

But first, look, look, look, because even though I love my new ring, it will never be the one my husband gave me.

Good Luck!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
It's hard for me to have sympathy for a Terrapin fan given the fact that we are rabid Wolfpack fans - what a game this weekend.
cry.gif
wink2.gif
9.gif

That said, I am so sorry. The suggested metal detector is not a bad idea. It sounds like it's somewhere in the house. But, I wouldn't elaborate w/ the isurance people that you misplaced it. Simply, it's gone. You do not know it's fate. If you have exhausted your search, I would report it sooner rather than later.

Good luck. You have to be your own advocate with insurance companies. If you don't like the replacement stone, it's not suitable. Period. Keep going until you find something you like.

toomanyquestions

Rough_Rock
I talked to Erie, and they said I am covered for the e-ring, they do have a full appraisal on file - with ALL the numbers (color/cut/clarity/photographs). The independent appraiser we took it to was VERY thorough. The only thing is that they will attempt to replace the ring through their own wholesaler, and if they cannot, then they will give me the appraised value listed on my policy - they will attempt to match the color/cut/clarity of the stone as closely as possible, as well as the setting (it was a Leo Ingwer, and that is all spelled out in the appraisal as well). They have put a note on my file that I may be filing a claim, and were very sympathetic and nice about it. My policy does cover "mysterious disappearance", thank goodness!

We bought the ring from one of the pricescope vendors and got an excellent deal - the independent appraiser appraised the ring at about 2K more than we paid for it. As for the wedding band, it is covered by the policy, but because I didn't have it on a seperate rider, I will have to pay a $500 dollar deductible.

But, I am going to continue to tear my house apart before I actually file a claim. I am feeling a little better about it now, though.

I thank this forum for listening!!

DaveN

Rough_Rock
Don't give up hope. Years ago my wife lost her engagement ring. It was not insured. Our house was turned upside down w/o success. Almost a year later we were turning mattresses or something to do with our bed and the ring was buried there. Take a deep breath, wait a day and look again.

Good luck.
2.gif

007 Gems Bond

Rough_Rock
I am very sorry to hear of your loss. But at the very least, you're covered. Good luck with your search. I hope you find them soon.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Keep looking! I lost an annyversary ring for 5+ years, and it turned up in the pocket of some shorts I was getting ready to give away. (always check those pockets
9.gif
). It has to be there somewhere if you got home with them on. Don't empty trash or do anything else to permanently get rid of stuff for a few days.

Good luck!

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Did you & your husband retrace every step you've taken since arriving home from the party?

Are you absolutely certain that you had the rings on at the party, or when you came home? Do you remove your rings to wash your hands?

Do you have pets or small children that could have inadvertantly knocked the rings off of a table or counter?

Have you thoroughly checked the inside of your car?

Have you checked the traps in your sinks?

Did you remove any other jewelry when you got home (bracelet, earrings, etc.) Where did you put it?

I really hope you find your rings soon...

ps - go Terrapins!
1.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 11/24/2003 11:59:31

ps - go Terrapins!
1.gif

----------------

Et tu?
6.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Have been programmed by alumni - in particular, the one I'm marrying.
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry to hear about the story...glad to hear the insurance co sounds reasonable.

Try the metal detector but it's tricky. My girlfriend lost an expensive diamond cross necklace a few weeks ago and bought a metal detector to comb her house and her boyfriend's house with. What you don't realize is that there are tons of metal studs and nails all over your house as well! She used it and it worked well (didn't find the jewelry), but just be aware that it will pick up all sorts of anything metal all over your house. Get one that shows you on the LCD what type of metal it is. One thing that was irritating her was that platinum and/or similar metals come up most metal detectors as aluminum, which is what nails come up on the LCD as well. So she spent more time than expected...it may take you a while--but I will definitely recommend it. She's now thinking it may have been stolen because her bf's roomate had a laptop stolen around the same time her necklace was lost. The MD is a great idea though.

Good luck and I am sure you will find it. It's so easy to lose or misplace items and they always show up in the most random place. Enlist everyone's help in the house to find the items, and get a MD to help along.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Little children are great to enlist to help. They have a good vantage point. Don't get tired of the game. And, don't have the preconceived notion of where it *should* be.

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
Just take the "for Mommy and Daddy" stuff out from under the bed first!

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Put in a claim....

Most insurance companies have a time requiment for filing a claim. If you don't -then you could be denied coverage.

If you find the items later, you can return the money to them.

Just don't procrastinate. \\Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results