shape
carat
color
clarity

Presidents and First Ladies of the United States

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Presidents and First Ladies of the United States of America

1789-1797
George Washington
Martha Washington

1797-1801
John Adams
Abigail Adams

1801-1809
Thomas Jefferson
Martha Wayles Skelton Jefferson

1809-1817
James Madison
Dolley Madison

1817-1825
James Monroe
Elizabeth Kortright Monroe

1825-1829
John Quincy Adams
Louisa Catherine Adams

1829-1837
Andrew Jackson
Rachel Jackson

1837-1841
Martin Van Buren
Hannah Hoes Van Buren

William Henry Harrison
Anna Tuthill Symmes Harrison

1841-1845
John Tyler
Letitia Christian Tyler and Julia Gardiner Tyler

1845-1849
James K. Polk
Sarah Childress Polk

1849-1850
Zachary Taylor
Margaret Mackall Smith Taylor

1850-1853
Millard Fillmore
Abigail Powers Fillmore

1853-1857
Franklin Pierce
Jane M. Pierce

1857-1861
James Buchanan
(never married)

1861-1865
Abraham Lincoln
Mary Todd Lincoln

1865-1869
Andrew Johnson
Eliza McCardle Johnson

1869-1877
Ulysses S. Grant
Julia Dent Grant

1877-1881
Rutherford Birchard Hayes
Lucy Webb Hayes

James A. Garfield
Lucretia Rudolph Garfield

1881-1885
Chester Alan Arthur
Ellen Lewis Herndon Arthur

1885-1889
Grover Cleveland
Frances Folsom Cleveland

1889-1893
Benjamin Harrison
Caroline Lavinia Scott Harrison
Mary Lord Harrison [Harrison's second wife, but never a first lady]

1893-1897
Grover Cleveland
Frances Folsom Cleveland

1897-1901
William McKinley
Ida Saxton McKinley

1901-1909
Theodore Roosevelt
Edith Kermit Carow Roosevelt

1909-1913
William H. Taft
Helen Herron Taft

1913-1921
Woodrow Wilson
Ellen Axson Wilson and Edith Bolling Galt Wilson

1921-1923
Warren G. Harding
Florence Kling Harding

1923-1929
Calvin Coolidge
Grace Goodhue Coolidge

1929-1933
Herbert Hoover
Lou Henry Hoover

1933-1945
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Eleanor Roosevelt

1945-1953
Harry S. Truman
Bess Wallace Truman

1953-1961
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Mamie Doud Eisenhower

1961-1963
John F. Kennedy
Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis

1963-1969
Lyndon B. Johnson
Lady Bird Johnson

1969-1974
Richard M. Nixon
Pat Nixon

1974-1977
Gerald R. Ford
Betty Ford

1977-1981
Jimmy Carter
Rosalynn Carter

1981-1989
Ronald Reagan
Nancy Reagan

1989-1993
George Bush
Barbara Bush

1993-2001
Bill Clinton
Hillary Rodham Clinton
2001- George W. Bush
Laura Bush

winyan

Brilliant_Rock

Deb

I thought Jefferson's wife was deceased, and his daughter functioned in the 'First Lady' capacity?

Also, Jane Wyman Reagan was Ronnie's first wife, but never a 'First Lady'.

win

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 11/24/2003 9:14:27 PM winyan wrote:

Deb

I thought Jefferson's wife was deceased, and his daughter functioned in the 'First Lady' capacity?

Also, Jane Wyman Reagan was Ronnie's first wife, but never a 'First Lady'.

----------------

That's what you get for copying things off the 'net willy nilly! A bunch of nonsense! Glad you caught some of it, win! (I don't think I ever knew that Martha Jefferson was not a First Lady. My daughter is a Presidential trivia buff and has shared a lot of things with me...but nothing on that!)

Keep up the good work, win!

song

Rough_Rock
President Abram Garfield was born in a log cabin in Orange, Buyahoga County, Ohio Nov. 19, 1830. He was inaugurated March 4, 1881 was shot and lingered for 90 days before passing on September 19, 1881 in terrible pain but he never once complained. Prior to death, all the brightest doctors of the time were summoned. They performed operations, without sterile conditions or the use of latex gloves. Instead, they put their hands into the hole where the bullet entered to try to feel around for it. As time went by, the hole increased to a huge gash. Alexander Graham Bell was summoned to his side. He had invented an apparatus that would pick up the metal sound of the bullet but it failed. Few people were aware of the fact spring mattress were invented that year and it fooled the gaget he was using. Had he put President Garfield on the floor for the exam, they likely would have found the bullet.

I find this particular President's story fascinating. He is a relative on my Grandfather's side and I have been busy trying to track down any other living relatives.

That's my history lesson for today lol. ~song

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, song, that is *fascinating*! What is the source of the information? Is it available on the 'net? I am going to have to pass it along to my daughter.

I learned a lot of wild things as she learned about presidents. One of them didn't wear a coat to his inauguration, caught a cold, and died a few (9? 19?) days later. Was it one of the Harrisons? "I shall look it up"!!! (It would pain my daughter to see how little information I retain!)

Deborah

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was William Henry Harrison (the first of the Harrisons to be President). This short biography is from the official White House site. More colorful descriptions of his speech are available elsewhere :).

Deborah

William Henry Harrison

"Give him a barrel of hard cider and settle a pension of two thousand a year on him, and my word for it," a Democratic newspaper foolishly gibed, "he will sit ... by the side of a 'sea coal' fire, and study moral philosophy. " The Whigs, seizing on this political misstep, in 1840 presented their candidate William Henry Harrison as a simple frontier Indian fighter, living in a log cabin and drinking cider, in sharp contrast to an aristocratic champagne-sipping Van Buren.

Harrison was in fact a scion of the Virginia planter aristocracy. He was born at Berkeley in 1773. He studied classics and history at Hampden-Sydney College, then began the study of medicine in Richmond.

Suddenly, that same year, 1791, Harrison switched interests. He obtained a commission as ensign in the First Infantry of the Regular Army, and headed to the Northwest, where he spent much of his life.

In the campaign against the Indians, Harrison served as aide-de-camp to General "Mad Anthony" Wayne at the Battle of Fallen Timbers, which opened most of the Ohio area to settlement. After resigning from the Army in 1798, he became Secretary of the Northwest Territory, was its first delegate to Congress, and helped obtain legislation dividing the Territory into the Northwest and Indiana Territories. In 1801 he became Governor of the Indiana Territory, serving 12 years.

His prime task as governor was to obtain title to Indian lands so settlers could press forward into the wilderness. When the Indians retaliated, Harrison was responsible for defending the settlements.

The threat against settlers became serious in 1809. An eloquent and energetic chieftain, Tecumseh, with his religious brother, the Prophet, began to strengthen an Indian confederation to prevent further encroachment. In 1811 Harrison received permission to attack the confederacy.

While Tecumseh was away seeking more allies, Harrison led about a thousand men toward the Prophet's town. Suddenly, before dawn on November 7, the Indians attacked his camp on Tippecanoe River. After heavy fighting, Harrison repulsed them, but suffered 190 dead and wounded.

The Battle of Tippecanoe, upon which Harrison's fame was to rest, disrupted Tecumseh's confederacy but failed to diminish Indian raids. By the spring of 1812, they were again terrorizing the frontier.

In the War of 1812 Harrison won more military laurels when he was given the command of the Army in the Northwest with the rank of brigadier general. At the Battle of the Thames, north of Lake Erie, on October 5, 1813, he defeated the combined British and Indian forces, and killed Tecumseh. The Indians scattered, never again to offer serious resistance in what was then called the Northwest.

Thereafter Harrison returned to civilian life; the Whigs, in need of a national hero, nominated him for President in 1840. He won by a majority of less than 150,000, but swept the Electoral College, 234 to 60.

When he arrived in Washington in February 1841, Harrison let Daniel Webster edit his Inaugural Address, ornate with classical allusions. Webster obtained some deletions, boasting in a jolly fashion that he had killed "seventeen Roman proconsuls as dead as smelts, every one of them."

Webster had reason to be pleased, for while Harrison was nationalistic in his outlook, he emphasized in his Inaugural that he would be obedient to the will of the people as expressed through Congress.

But before he had been in office a month, he caught a cold that developed into pneumonia. On April 4, 1841, he died--the first President to die in office--and with him died the Whig program.

President's Day U.S. Presidents: United in Service
Take a look at presidential biographies made by kids and videos about service from the President's Council on Service and Civic Participation.

Ninth President

Born: February 9, 1773 in Charles City County, Virginia

Died: April 4, 1841. He died in Washington D.C. of pneumonia a month after taking office. He was the first president to die in office.

Married to Anna Tuthill Symmes Harrison

song

Rough_Rock
Very interesting AGBF! Your daughter would be equally miffed at my ability to retain information. Without the material in print and close at hand, I'd be hard pressed to quote most of the information I have been gathering about Pres. Garfield. lol

The info. I posted is indeed available on the internet.
http://www.jamesgarfield.org
Although I got his birthdate wrong, he was born November 19, 1831, not 1830 it's a good read. It is fascinating because he also attended Williams college (which is another relative, although I don't see any mention of the affiliation in the articles I have.) My late grandmother, who was the family historian, had all of the documentation and it was divided up between 2 families when she passed away. I do know eventually I'll be in possession of the entire history but I do regret not taking more of an interest in our background when she was alive.

I have been in touch with the authors of the link above and they were kind enough to send me all the information they currently have on Garfield. I haven't had the time to delve into that info yet, but a quick scan of the first two pages of documentation tells me most of it is already published on their website. I am also trying to locate other descendants which could fill in some of the gaps although this is not an easy task. No laughing allowed... I even wrote the White House, but in return they forwarded an auto-responder thanking me for the letter to Mr. Bush and sent me yet another link where I can leave a message. Ack!

President Garfield was laid to rest in Cleveland Ohio in the country's first true mausoleum. It serves as both a crypt and memorial for Garfield and his wife Lucretia, their daughterMolly and her husband Joseph Stanley-Brown.

Interesting stuff. ~song

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, Deborah it wasn't the first time the American people elected a murderer as President.

I'm very glad today, that Bill Jankelow, the former governer of South Dakota and current US Congressman, was found guilty of manslaughter. He should have been convicted of rape 30 years ago after raping his teen age baby sitter. It's also not the first time he murdered someone via vehicular homicide.

win

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 12/8/2003 9:33:39 PM winyan wrote:

Yes, Deborah it wasn't the first time the American people elected a murderer as President.

I wonder how many of our Presidents were *not* murderers if, by murderer, we include all those who took a life...including in times of war. I know that you are attempting to point out that this particular massacre of Native Americans was murder...but that was not the only unjust war in which the United States (and its predecessors) took part. Some would argue that our first President, George Washington, who turned on his own countrymen, was a murderer. If one argues that the war with Great Britain was a fair fight, not a massacre, there remain many other massacres in history to which we might refer.

Here in Cos Cob, Connecticut peaceful Indians were surrounded and burned. More recently, there was Vietnam. My Lai is only *one* massacre that took place there. Speak to any Vietnam vet and you will hear that our soldiers couldn't tell the "enemies" from the "allies" and shot anyone who looked Vietnamese! (My plumber was a Navy Seal who said, when I asked what he did in Vietnam, "kill people". He opposed the war in Iraq, attending demonstrations, because he said he knew how it would end up: frightened American soldiers would shoot everyone who looked Iraqi!) (A lot of people in Iraq look Iraqi :(. )

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results