shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Nile Diamond with CAVITY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

llcoooooljay

Rough_Rock
hey everyone,

im considering buying this diamond. G/SI1/Ex Cut/1.5 Ct.

only thing im concerned about is the cavity and pinpoints. can you guys click on the link and check out this GIA report on Blue Nile for me. Let me know if you have concerns, comments and anything else you can think of. I''m worried that the cavity might affect the perfomance and durability of the diamond. Thanks all.

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-ideal-cut-g-color-si1-clarity_LD01012884?__fun_frm=i&filter_id=0

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2009 3:00:44 PM
Author:llcoooooljay
hey everyone,

im considering buying this diamond. G/SI1/Ex Cut/1.5 Ct.

only thing im concerned about is the cavity and pinpoints. can you guys click on the link and check out this GIA report on Blue Nile for me. Let me know if you have concerns, comments and anything else you can think of. I'm worried that the cavity might affect the perfomance and durability of the diamond. Thanks all.

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-ideal-cut-g-color-si1-clarity_LD01012884?__fun_frm=i&filter_id=0
Apparently with cavities it is a diamond by diamond call, it won't affect performance - as to durability I would wait for an expert to chime in - they aren't always a problem from what I understand. If you buy the diamond, I would get it checked out by an independant appraiser during the return period.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's not clear from the scan but that cavity may be the open, surface-reaching end of a feather. That's not certain, since there is a feather plotted in the pavilion which could account for the listing, but it's worth a close look to determine any implications at the girdle. It's an interesting case, also, because the small cloud under the table is the grade setter. In my experience that raises an eye-clean question since an SI1 cloud considered more important than a cavity/feather could be dense or dark.

These are questions an experienced gemologist with the diamond in-hand can answer for you.

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 3:23:01 PM
Author: John Pollard
It's not clear from the scan but that cavity may be the open, surface-reaching end of a feather. That's not certain, since there is a feather plotted in the pavilion which could account for the listing, but it's worth a close look to determine any implications at the girdle. It's an interesting case, also, because the small cloud under the table is the grade setter. In my experience that raises an eye-clean question since an SI1 cloud considered more important than a cavity/feather could be dense or dark.

These are questions an experienced gemologist with the diamond in-hand can answer for you.
Ditto (oops edited to add this!)

As SI1 and SI2 diamonds can vary so much in the nature, size and position of the inclusions - some are wonderfully eyeclean and others are not - its best to buy when you can see the diamond yourself or have a trusted vendor's opinion for those vendors who have the diamond in-house: the majority of Blue Nile diamonds are not in-house but a virtual inventory. Otherwise, you could end up having to submit a lot of diamonds to an independent appraiser before finding the best one for you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results