shape
carat
color
clarity

IUD TMI?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I was just fitted with a Mirena IUD yesterday and wanted to ask a few questions for those of you who also have an IUD. I read all the old threads here, along with mucho additional research, but as we Pricescoper''s know, nothing beats the personal opinion of those actually involved!

I''m 47 yrs old, non-smoker, slightly overweight, have fibromyalgia but no other health problems. Hubby and I have been using condoms for the last four years or so because I was concerned the hormones in the birth contol pills I was using was causing difficulty with my fibromyalgia symptoms. Well, we had a near miss with condom in December and realized we''re too old to panic like that again! For a number of irrational reasons hubby is not enthused about a vasectomy and I don''t want a tubal (my body tends to over-react to physical stressors), so the Mirena seemed a good fit for a long term hormone lite method of BC.

Insertion wasn''t horrible. I''m on my period like suggested, and there were just a couple of pinchy crampy parts, but I''ve had two children...... breastfeeding is waaaaaay more painful! Still bleeding and crampy today, but not bad or unusual.

I''m wondering what to expect in the next month, three months, six months down the line? How long did you bleed? Are there "pokey" feelings in your uterus during intercourse? Any other side effects? I''d appreciate any input at all. The regular birth control forums are either filled with horror stories or are all populated with college age girls. What about we old birds who still have a little life left in us??

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Hi UG! I am about 1.5 months in to my Mirena.

I do spot on and off, and my last period was kind of long. My MD said this is normal. The spotting seems to be dying down. Also, I do occasionally feel the "pokey" sensation...but not often and its not terrible.

Anyway, I haven''t had kids or anything but I would be happy to answer any other questions!! So far I am really happy with mine.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve tried both the Mirena and the Paraguard and had problems with both of them! With the Mirena, I do not have any horror stories, but about a month after it was inserted, I began having A headache, as in a single headache that lasted for an entire month until I had it taken out! There wasn''t any pokey feeling, but my DH could feel it.

Before the Mirena, I had a paraguard and it was in the horror story range. NEVER ever get one! Trust me on that!

After trying both IUDs, DH finally agreed to a vasectomy since we have two kids and we''re both done.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Thanks ladies.

disneybride

Shiny_Rock
Hi Upgradable, I have had the Mirena since April of 2007 and I''m sorry to say I detest it. The first three months I bled non-stop, as if I was having a never ending period. I still get my period every two weeks and sometimes they last almost as long. My menstrual cramps have decreased since getting it inserted but I''ve been bloated for 9 months and my ovulation cramps are horrendous. Every month I''m on the floor rocking back and forth on my hands and knees in pain for hours. I''ve also gained 15 lbs. I would get it removed but unfortunately I don''t have health insurance right now.

v!v!

Shiny_Rock
hi upgradeable,

if you read through the old threads, i''m pretty sure i have commented on the Mirena IUD in the past but I just wanted to let you know that I was one of the people that had the Mirena IUD for 5 years and absolutely loved it. I remember when I first got it, I definitely had spotting for quite awhile. Off and on for probably 3 months or so. After that, my periods were either light or non-existant.

I never had any pokey feelings in my uterus during intercourse, but my husband did feel it from time to time, but it wasn''t a big deal and certainly didn''t stop us from going about what we were doing.

i wish you the same luck that i had with it!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I''ve decided I want to be like viv and SDL!! I''m wondering if the folks that had problems were younger or had not had children prior to Mirena? Just looking for common denominators.

Also, folks with problems, have you had difficulties with other forms of birth control?

disneybride

Shiny_Rock
Hi there, thought I would give you the information you requested. I'm in my mid 20s and have gone through childbirth. No problems with any other form of birth control.

elisabeth_mimi

Rough_Rock
I also have an IUD and have had for 4 months. Insertion was HORRIBLE (Youch!
14.gif
) and that first period was fairly painful. The last few have been a little heavier than normal but with minimal cramps. Other than that I have had no problems. For reference, I am in my early 20''s and have had no children.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Disneybride...sorry to hear about your experience! When did you begin the weight gain? I do feel a little bloated at times, but so far my weight has been stable.

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Upgradable!

I have had my Mriena for two years now. I''ve had no issues with it. I have PCOS so my cycles were crazy anyway, as in only have one every 3-4 months. I''m now 37, never had children, insertion felt like moderate cramps and I spotted for about a week. The first year and a half I had no periods at all, since then it essentially is a couple of days and it''s barely enough for a panty liner.

I have no pokey feelings during the act, although in certain posiitions my husband could feel the strings but it doesn''t bother him. There are a lot of wome who can''t use an IUD; it just doesn''t work with their body- just as the pill did bad things to my body. Also, the Paraguard usually does increase the heavyness of the cycles.

I hope you have a good experience with yours as I have had!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 6:32:44 PM
Author: disneybride
Hi Upgradable, I have had the Mirena since April of 2007 and I''m sorry to say I detest it. The first three months I bled non-stop, as if I was having a never ending period. I still get my period every two weeks and sometimes they last almost as long. My menstrual cramps have decreased since getting it inserted but I''ve been bloated for 9 months and my ovulation cramps are horrendous. Every month I''m on the floor rocking back and forth on my hands and knees in pain for hours. I''ve also gained 15 lbs. I would get it removed but unfortunately I don''t have health insurance right now.
Disneybride - You can get your IUD removed at planned parenthood for a lot less than a regular obgyn. They charge on a sliding scale.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was around 34ish when the Mirena was put in. I''ve had two children. Aside from that and the paraguard, which caused major problems, I was on the pill from age 16-26 and never had any problems.

v!v!

Shiny_Rock
just to give you a little more info...i was 23 when i had my Mirena inserted and have never had a child.

ETA: i had tried yasmine, the patch, and ortho-tricyclen all before i went with the IUD. my issue with the other forms of birth control were that i felt like my hormones were always out of whack and i didn't really like the way i felt on them. it was recommended that i go on the IUD because the hormones are released locally and are more mild than the other pills i had tried.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I''ve had the mirena for almost a year (since last march). It''s been great! Occasional cramping, but nothing abnormal. I had really terrible side effects with the pill, although I loved the depo shot. I''m 25 wtih no kids.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
You ladies are terrific to share all this info! It''s a really hard choice to make!!

If this doesn''t work out, I''m thinking about Essure. Anyone had someone they know do this?

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I am 26, never had kids. Had Mirena for 2 years now. I LOVE the convenience, I get no periods, I don't really even spot. SO can't feel a thing. I do get crampy from time to time, I think when I am cycling. I was really crampy for the first 4-8 weeks, much worse than when I had periods. (I just used Motrin and was fine) I was also very aware of needing to go to the bathroom (#1 or #2) because of the location of the IUD, so when I 'had to go', I would feel 'crampy'. Once I went, I was fine. Mirena is the 1st and only BC I have ever used, and I got it through my university for $20, so it seemed like a fabulous idea! I am concerned about Mirena's effect on my testosterone/estrogen levels. I am getting it out soon because my hair is thinning noticeably, and after trying to convince myself that it was all in my head for a year, I've decided it's time to go. (see alopecia and hirsutism re: iuds)

I am really sad too, because I love this thing, I just love my hair more!

My experience was not bad, I would keep it without thinking if I thought I could, I just think it's important to know more about your body chemistry and possible side effects before getting an iud. It bothered me that I often know more about the IUDs than doctors of GNPs.
20.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2009 4:19:05 PM
Author: trillionaire
I am getting it out soon because my hair is thinning noticeably, and after trying to convince myself that it was all in my head for a year, I''ve decided it''s time to go. (see alopecia and hirsutism re: iuds)
Yep, if you read online, there are tons of people who''ve had thinning hair with Mirena. When I had talked to the nurse practitioner about that, she said that Mirena does not cause such a problem. She didn''t believe my headaches were caused by it because it wasn''t reported as a common side-effect. She said it was stress.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
When I was on the pill and then the patch about 5 years ago I was always loosing tons of hair when I washed it. I have the worlds thickest hair, so it wasn''t noticeable except in the shower drain! I''ll keep an eye out for these symptoms.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Week 1 is over. There still is a little spotting when I "wipe." Otherwise no complaints.

DebShine

Shiny_Rock
I''m 40. Have used little birth control in my life, because of funky side effects of pills and such. The thing that worked best for me (due to weird sized uterus and cervix) was a cap and they don''t make those anymore.

I''m getting my Paragard out Feb. 9th. It''s been in about a 1.5 years. Hoping this will make my periods lighter again. That is the ONLY side effect I''ve seen, my periods have gotten heavier. MUCH. YUCK!

Oh - sometimes after sex (can I say this on here - jeesh
emembarrassed.gif
) I feel like I have been "poked" by the IUD. I have actually bled just a little also in the next day or two and wondered about it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results