shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this dress too formal for a destination elopement?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
FI have finally decided that we are going to Ecuador in September for our EPP. I was almost sold on getting the Augusta Jones Chenoa, but decided to give form fitting dresses another try. And, I fell in love with this Mikaella dress. But, is it too formal for an elopement with only our 5 immediate family members as guests? We are having a celebration when we get back that I will probably also wear it too, but it will be more of a casual backyard party. Thanks!

kat.mikaella.1367.jpg

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
I say wear what you want. If you love it, go for it! You only have this chance once to wear a beautiful wedding dress... well, in your case, you'll have two chances but you know what I mean..

It's a beautiful dress. I can see why you're considering it.

BTW, in my research for my own DW I've come across photos/video of much more formal/traditional dresses worn by brides with very small guest counts and they rocked it!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I think you should just wear what you want too! We are now planning a small (30 people total) destination wedding to wine country and I am going to get a fairly formal gown. I love it so much I couldn''t imagine not wearing it on the day.

MrsG

Shiny_Rock
I really like the dress that you posted and also think that you should wear what you want. I had a very small (9 people total) and informal wedding last September and decided against a more formal dress. I wore a simple wedding dress and loved what I looked like, but there is a part of me that wishes that I went with my first choice. So wear what you want and what will make you happy.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Not at all! It all depends on the accessories that you add. If you wear a cathedral train, gloves and chandelier earrings, yes it would be a bit much. However, if you wear an elbow or shoulder length veil, or flowers in your hair with low key studs and a pendant, it would be perfect. Just be sure to have a seamstress do a good bustle so that you''re not dragging it around, or have the train trimmed down to a sweep or cut off completely. The length of the train and veil actually goes in accordance with the formality, if that makes sense.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think its beautiful Kata, elopement or not you are still a bride and a gorgeous dress like that is totally appropriate!

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
It''s really beautiful. I don''t think it''s too formal. If you love it, go for it!

Winslet

Shiny_Rock
I love that dress! My close "runner-up" was very similar to that one, and I still think of it sometimes. I think the flower and the light material make the dress kind of informal, which was actually the reason that I chose not to go with the one that I was considering. Therefore, I think it''ll be perfect for a destination wedding
30.gif

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe, it depends where and how you''re getting married, but it is so beautiful, if it suits you you should go for it.

I agree with former comments, ''dress it down'' with a simple flower in your hair and simple jewellery.

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think it''s too formal at all! It does not have any beading or crystals, the shape is not really formal either. The flower detail is very simple and elegant. Just because you are eloping, I don''t think you have to wear a boring dress! Still your wedding day, I''d def. say wear it! It''s gorgeous!
36.gif

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much everyone. If I did get it, I would either have the train removed or have it permanently bustled. I also am dying to wear a birdcage veil, and will do that for the ceremony and just wear a flower in my hair for the home celebration. I promised my mom I would go to the running of the bride this month (as abysmal as it must be), but if I don''t find anything there, I am pretty sure I am going to buy this dress.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s perfect, destination or not. It''s a dress that can be dressed up or down by the accessories you pair with it.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Katamari - It''s lovely!
I say go for it ... As long as you love it and are comfortable in it there is no way that it could look innappropriate.

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my gosh, I adore this dress!

I would be terrified of the running on the brides... you''re so brave! Good luck though, I''ve heard awesome success stories!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
It is beautiful and elegant. Go for it!

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
I think this dress is perfect-perfect-perfect for your destination elopement. It so SO timeless and classic and STUNNING!

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/10/2009 12:49:57 PM
Author: CDNinNYC
I say wear what you want. If you love it, go for it! You only have this chance once to wear a beautiful wedding dress... well, in your case, you'll have two chances but you know what I mean..

It's a beautiful dress. I can see why you're considering it.

BTW, in my research for my own DW I've come across photos/video of much more formal/traditional dresses worn by brides with very small guest counts and they rocked it!
I totally agree with everything CDN has said!

ETA: How's the wedding planning coming along? Did you decide on a country and venue?

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
I think its very pretty and you can keep it less formal w/ the accessories and veil or hair pieces you choose.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think so, I think it''s simple and whimsical. Perfect for a small destination wedding.

Side note, I think someone needs to clarify the definition of elopement to me
3.gif
I kep seeing brides on here calling their small (under 10 guests) destination weddings elopements... but I thought eloping meant "sneaking away" together and getting married just the two of you, possibly secretly?

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Not at all. I really like it.

Have you tried it on yet? I bet it is stunning.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2009 10:47:13 AM
Author: pocahontas
Date: 1/10/2009 12:49:57 PM

Author: CDNinNYC

I say wear what you want. If you love it, go for it! You only have this chance once to wear a beautiful wedding dress... well, in your case, you''ll have two chances but you know what I mean..

It''s a beautiful dress. I can see why you''re considering it.

BTW, in my research for my own DW I''ve come across photos/video of much more formal/traditional dresses worn by brides with very small guest counts and they rocked it!

I totally agree with everything CDN has said!

ETA: How''s the wedding planning coming along? Did you decide on a country and venue?

Hi Panda! The planning is actually coming along pretty good. We decide on Ecuador and are pretty heavily leaning towards the Hacienda Pinsaqui, but are also thinking about the Hacienda Primavera. I am starting to get very excited (and so is FI, which is even more exciting)!
36.gif
36.gif

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2009 2:12:35 PM
Author: musey
I don''t think so, I think it''s simple and whimsical. Perfect for a small destination wedding.

Side note, I think someone needs to clarify the definition of elopement to me
3.gif
I kep seeing brides on here calling their small (under 10 guests) destination weddings elopements... but I thought eloping meant ''sneaking away'' together and getting married just the two of you, possibly secretly?

Thanks. Actually, I am the one using "elopement" very liberally. A small destination wedding is probably a better descriptive, but we are pulling from both for inspiration. We call it the EPP (eloping plus parents) when we talk about it.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2009 4:44:49 PM
Author: Steel
Not at all. I really like it.

Have you tried it on yet? I bet it is stunning.

I have and it looked smokin''!
30.gif
I wish I could post pics, but it was a silly "no pictures" salon.[angryfire:]

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, again, everyone! My mom is coming into town at the end of the month. I am going to the Running of the Brides when she is here (give me lots of dust for that), but am also taking her to the salon with this dress and will likely buy it unless I end up lucking into a $250 Carolina Herrera at the RotB.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I think it is such a beautiful dress!!! If you don''t find a better deal at RoTB you should totally get it.

JerseyGrl81

Shiny_Rock
I think that dress is perfect for your destination elopement wedding! It is gorgous!

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/11/2009 9:17:58 PM
Author: katamari
Hi Panda! The planning is actually coming along pretty good. We decide on Ecuador and are pretty heavily leaning towards the Hacienda Pinsaqui, but are also thinking about the Hacienda Primavera. I am starting to get very excited (and so is FI, which is even more exciting)!
36.gif
36.gif
Duh, I just saw that you had included this info in the very first sentence of your original post. Sorry about that, Katamari. I''m so excited for you
36.gif
Both of those resorts look amazing! Whichever you choose, I''m sure you''ll have an amazing trip and wedding celebration
9.gif

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
It''s a beautiful dress, and no, I don''t think it''s too formal at all! In fact, I think the way the model is wearing it dresses it down a bit. If it looks smokin'' on you, then that is what you should wear!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results