shape
carat
color
clarity

ski advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi all,
Drena and I have work travel commitments up until March 21 - we then have 2 weeks free to ski.

Anywhere in the world!!!!
1.gif

We were planning Hokkido - the nothern island of Japan, but their season finishes early.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Suggestions so far
Whistler or aspen
Or Chamanix or ValdeSaire (sp?)
All are about equi distant
14.gif

Snow is most important - so hi altitude etc
But also a nice town in case Drena wants days off
Also we like the club med approach because we are different levels and we can ski mornings in groups and together after lunch

thx in anticipation

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Breckenridge or Vail, Colorado. Breckenridge has a great town and a mountain that is great for all ages and abilities, and Vail is my absolute favorite place to ski. I''ve skied for a long time, ski raced for many years, and skied in many places, and these two are my favorites. Aspen is a fun, ritzy place to hang out, but the skiing never impressed me. I would also recommend Beaver Creek--lots of terrain, less crowded, and free cookies every afternoon at the bottom of the mountain!

As far as altitude goes, Breckenridge has the highest ski lift in North America, a high speed quad taking you almost 13,000 feet above sea level.

The snow is amazing in Colorado. The only place I''ve been that compares, in my opinion, is Alta in Utah. March is a great time to come because there''s usually still a lot of snow, and days are milder. You get a lot of gorgeous "spring skiing" days, which are my personal favorite.

I hope you have a wonderful ski vacation. If you have any more questions about skiing in Colorado, I''d be happy to answer them.

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm... choices, choices.

Lets start with Chamonix, Chamonix is an incredible town full of character, great restaurants etc, and some incredible skiing. We skied there in a guided group called Ski Fun Tours, they take you everywhere, cater for different levels, and it always includes a fantastic lunch. You can also skip across the border to Courmayeur in Italy if you have a hankering for pasta. The snow is less reliable than the USA but when it''s good, it is world class. I''d go back there in a heartbeat, I can''t wait to go back.

Whistler, well, it''s not my favourite place but I think every skier should go there once, preferably first so you''re not spoiled by better places. It does have very good terrain, but the snow can be hit and miss, it''s coastal so even when it''s dumping it''s not in the same class as Colorado or Utah. I''d only go back to Canada to heli ski, or a road trip around the interior. The snow is ok, but the weather can be absolutely terrible.

Colorado... my favourite place on earth, I got married in Vail. Vail is an enormous mountain with terrain for every ability level, great restaurants and nightlife. It has a purpose built village which is only charming in parts, very spread out but easy to navigate. Beaver Creek next door is underrated, I love the skiing there. Aspen, you''ve heard all the hype but there is a reason people in the know flock there, it is a rocking town with matchless skiing, terrific terrain and snow quality, it has it''s own airport so easy to get in and out of. Kittybean, I can''t believe you don''t rate the skiing there, Aspen Highlands, wow!

Telluride is another favourite of mine, super cool laid back town with great skiing, completely uncrowded.

Vail, BC, Aspen and T-Ride are all notoriously expensive, but I think you get a lot of experience for your money.

Breckenridge is a very nice town, but I think the skiing there is unexciting, leave it to the English tourists.

I can''t comment on Utah, first trip there next month.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks to both of you. But the big question is what is likely to be the safest place for good snow at the end of the season???

Date: 1/8/2009 7:04:36 AM
Author: MishB
Hmmm... choices, choices.

Lets start with Chamonix, Chamonix is an incredible town full of character, great restaurants etc, and some incredible skiing. We skied there in a guided group called Ski Fun Tours, they take you everywhere, cater for different levels, and it always includes a fantastic lunch. You can also skip across the border to Courmayeur in Italy if you have a hankering for pasta. The snow is less reliable than the USA but when it''s good, it is world class. I''d go back there in a heartbeat, I can''t wait to go back.
We skied there for a day about 10 years ago - and yes - it is a great town - and the group sounds great but the snow?

Whistler, well, it''s not my favourite place but I think every skier should go there once, preferably first so you''re not spoiled by better places. It does have very good terrain, but the snow can be hit and miss, it''s coastal so even when it''s dumping it''s not in the same class as Colorado or Utah. I''d only go back to Canada to heli ski, or a road trip around the interior. The snow is ok, but the weather can be absolutely terrible. travel people say its safe - but I have been 2x - and I know it can get a bit soft even in the mid season - am I right?

Colorado... my favourite place on earth, I got married in Vail. Vail is an enormous mountain with terrain for every ability level, great restaurants and nightlife. It has a purpose built village which is only charming in parts, very spread out but easy to navigate. Beaver Creek next door is underrated, I love the skiing there. Aspen, you''ve heard all the hype but there is a reason people in the know flock there, it is a rocking town with matchless skiing, terrific terrain and snow quality, it has it''s own airport so easy to get in and out of. Kittybean, I can''t believe you don''t rate the skiing there, Aspen Highlands, wow! Drena loves Aspen town, it is very like some of our old Aussie mining towns, and I love three of the 4 mountains!!!! Aspen and Vail are the highest safest for extended season?

Telluride is another favourite of mine, super cool laid back town with great skiing, completely uncrowded.

Vail, BC, Aspen and T-Ride are all notoriously expensive, but I think you get a lot of experience for your money. we pay more in air fares - so - yes - it must be great - we may not have the bodies to do this in a few years time!!!

Breckenridge is a very nice town, but I think the skiing there is unexciting, leave it to the English tourists.

I can''t comment on Utah, first trip there next month.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do.
thanks

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
We've been getting major amounts of snow here in Utah and we're often skiing long past March. In fact one year I remember Snowbird was still open in July! They finally had to close due to lack of insurance, rather than lack of snow. They just didn't anticipate the season going *that* long. LOL

You really can't go wrong w/any of the ski areas here in Northern Utah; Alta, Snowbird, Park City, The Canyons, Deer Valley, Solitude... take your pick and you'll be happy, they all have their own appeal. If you want to avoid snowboarders, Alta and Deer Valley don't allow them but the other resorts do. Park City if a fun little town to stay in as well.

http://www.utah.com/ski/

http://www.skiutah.com/

Here's a chart that compares the resorts:

http://www.utah.com/ski/comparison.htm

Sounds like a lot of fun! Good luck deciding where to go.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Seems really nice Loreli, but:
"Of course you pay a price for this low altitude (Gstaad is at 1,050 metres and most of the skiing is below 2,200m). Good snow doesn''t always arrive in time for Christmas, and the lower slopes are vulnerable to any extended warm spell. Currently, however, there is lots of snow, and virtually all the runs are open."

Above 3,000M is safer

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Gary!

Funny you ask, because I am packing my bags today for 2 weeks in Telluride, which is by far my most favorite place in Colorado. I''ve pretty much skied them all over the years. Vail is usually more crowded, Telluride not as much. Both have large mountains though. If you are into great shopping then Vail may be better. Telluride is much quainter, but a really cool town, great restaurants, etc... There is Mountain Village at the top of the Gondola and and it''s a lil more Vail-ish.

Whistler also sounds like a great option. I talked to some friends out there last week and they hadn''t gotten the snow they had hoped for yet. I have heard amazing things about it, but am yet to go.

Aspen just isn''t great skiing, and the mountain doesn''t compare to Telluride or Vail. Don''t get me wrong I love Aspen and I have spent a bunch of time there, but it''s usually to hang out with friends and shop.

Hope that helps a lil... Let us know what you decide!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
We just returned from a week of skiing in Breckenridge. I am most familiar with the skiing there and I really enjoy it. Peak 10 is the best. Vail is great because of all the things you can do besides ski. And I love Snowmass.

Park City is also great, but I doubt I'll be back in Utah anytime soon though.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Whistler is sweet--nice town and all. Can''t vouch for the late season conditions there, or anywhere for that matter.

But here are some contenders--like I am going to recommend anywhere else!
9.gif
. Fly into Calgary. Rent a car and drive to Banff/Lake Louise and stay at the Post Hotel--not Club Med; but the hotel is uniiformily charming--and the world class restaurant/wine list will never make you want to leave. Then you can drive to Kicking Horse and wear off those calories.
2.gif

http://www.posthotel.com/posthotel/index.html

http://www.kickinghorseresort.com/

http://www.skilouise.com/

http://www.banfflakelouise.com/experience-the-park/ski-snowboard?gclid=CNjU0-Oa_5cCFRwwawodjE_RDQ

cheers--Sharon

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Garry,

For late season snow, it''s hard to beat Winter Park, CO. One of the coldest areas in the country so they often ski in May. The only drawback is that there is not much of a town for your wife.

Have you tried posting your question on one of the forums on tripadvisor.com. I find the community there generally very helpful and knowledgeable. The forums are arranged according to location so you might have to post your question in a couple of different ones but they are great resources.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love Park City/Deer Valley. Lots of good restaurants (since it got all posh when the Sundance Film Festival started) and the snow is known to be light and fluffy. Not as good as the other resorts in Utah (Alta and Snowbird namely) but much more of a resort feel in the area.

Although...the Utah liquor laws may be a bit of a downer for an average fun loving Aussie.
3.gif

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
I was going to suggest Alberta as well. Utah (Park City) is good, a really cute town too and lots of ski resorts close by.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/8/2009 7:56:32 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Seems really nice Loreli, but:
''Of course you pay a price for this low altitude (Gstaad is at 1,050 metres and most of the skiing is below 2,200m). Good snow doesn''t always arrive in time for Christmas, and the lower slopes are vulnerable to any extended warm spell. Currently, however, there is lots of snow, and virtually all the runs are open.''

Above 3,000M is safer

No worries Garry!

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Garry, in a nutshell anywhere in Colorado or Utah is a pretty safe bet for decent snow conditions in March. Take your pick, there aren''t any wrong choices!

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Garry,

In addition to seconding Utah and Colorado for March skiing, perhaps the most reliable for late-season skiing in the US might be a California resort: Mammoth Mountain. As you can see from this nifty chart, even a 50th percentile year is typically green (at least 90% open) skiing conditions: http://webpages.charter.net/tcrocker818/mmthhist.htm

Though its remoteness and lack of commercial flights have traditionally made it a resort frequented predominantly by only hard-core skiers in California, they (finally!) just began commercial air service via Horizon/Alaska airlines just within the last couple of months of 2008. Typically, skiing continues well into June, and on occasion they''ve had their last "ski day" on July 4th (!!!). You can click and find, under the "Snowfall History" the month-by-month data for the last 30 or so years here: http://www.mammothmountain.com/MyMammoth/. With over 3500 skiiable acres, 150 named trails, and 28 chairlifts, even a bad year with 25% closure for spring skiing is still pretty darn great.

Of course, if you are looking for a scene as well, Aspen or the European resorts may better fit the bill. But if you''re looking to go on a ski trip for skiing''s sake and want to up those odds of great March snow, you might want to explore Mammoth. (I mean, seriously, look at this trail map! http://www.mammothmountain.com/ski_ride/trail_map/
9.gif
)

f-d-l

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I second Park City!

Have you considered Montana? Big Sky, Showdown, etc.? There''s a good chance that MT''s season wont be over in March, considering what it''s been like there this winter!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Hi Garry,

It's nice to be able to give you advice for once!

My favourite ski destination is Austria. For good snow at the end of March, I would recommend either Mayrhofen or Kitzbuhel. They are both beautiful and charming places, as are most Austrian resorts. Mayrhofen is particularly high, which is why late snow is likely. Kitzbuhel is linked with many surrounding ski resorts, so there is a lot of choice, and lots of bang for your buck.

Another fantastic resort is Garmisch-Partenkirchen in Bavaria. The most popular mountain, the Zugspitze, is just under 3000m elevation, so you're pretty much guaranteed snow in March. I was there last March and the snow was perfect. The town is really beautiful. It is a pretty close drive (<1hr) to both Munich and Innsbruch, both wonderful cities and fantastic for shopping. There are many beautiful lakes and sights to see in the area. You may have gathered this is one of my favourite destinations ;-)

As for Chamonix and Val d'Isere, I would recommend Chamonix as a slightly nicer destination, although it is very close!

Good luck and have a great time!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results