shape
carat
color
clarity

How long does your sofa last?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH and I are buying our first real sofas. We''re a bit put off by the cost. We can get a 2 seater and 3 seater, one of them a sofa bed, in leather for around 1650 on sale. We''re looked in less expensive ones, but want one that will hold up. How long can we expect our sofa to hold up?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Addy, I bought a fairly expensive sofas for the living room and if I had to do it over again I would have done more research because these only lasted 5 or 6 yrs.
15.gif

Here is a thread I started and it may help? Hubby and I think we want a flexsteel one soon. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/we-need-a-new-sofa-please-help.78317/

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Will these sofas be put to use daily? It all depends on how much use/abuse they will get. We have one set of leather furniture in our living room (which nobody really ever sits in), that I suppose could last for at least 10 years or more. We have another set of leather sofas in the family room (which we've had for 4 years..and are replacing anyday now, not because they need to be replaced though) We lay on them dialy..kids jump on them constantly, they take alot of abuse..and still look great. I know sales people will tell you "this sofa will last your for 15-20 years".but really..do you want the same sofa for that long? I mean..styles change..we change our furniture every few years because I like change..and like to paint/decorate different colors/themes. If it's something you want to keep around for 10 years or more..I would suggest, Lazboy, Broyhill, Ashley or Natuzzi (trusted names here in Canada anyway!) Also..the Costco here gets some great looking sofas at great prices in the fall only. We were going to buy them for our basement (rec room) for the kid's and their friends, but that would mean 3 leather sets in the house, and I want something other than leather I think. I'm holding off until spring. I do have a friend who bought a leather set from there (3 years ago), and is quite happy with how they are holding up.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Buy expensive, get quality!

This is pants in my experience. DH and I bought our first sofa set for just a notch under €3000 about 5 years ago and they lasted all of a year (not even that long) before they were so uncomfortable we had to replace them. They just died! We replaced them with a set for about €700 from a home/store catalogue and they have lasted from 2005. So I have very little advice for you except - don''t fork over cash expecting quality or longevity. They are not mutually exclusive clubs.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
It REALLY depends on quality of construction and materials.

My friends who bought avant-guard velvet sofas in K-town were hating life when they began to turn "bald" in conspicuous places within six months. The folks who bought inexpensive sofas from national chains like JCPenney or Robinsons/May in college had their sofas hold up better, but it seemed that after a year or two some heavier guy sat on the arm rest at a party and the arm would collapse; they were built with slatted wood and engineered quite poorly.

It's been my experience that as long as you're comparing apples to apples, you get what you pay for when it comes to sofas. I've read that the average life span for an average sofa-- like a Jennifer Convertibles sofa-- has declined to about 5 years. That doesn't mean that it won't be functional, but the fabric will likely look too worn and the cushions may have lost their "oomph" at that time. (If you're hoping to have a significantly longer lifespan, look to companies that brag about construction and the materials you don't see; it seems like those last for decades. Just to use national chains as examples, Z Gallerie has some nice-looking pieces, but they're not particularly solid. Pottery Barn takes a certain pride in construction and warranty, and those hold up better. Upgrading to D'oro suede and premium batting within Pottery Barn makes it more durable yet. And to continue the example, Restoration Hardware furniture is darn proud of their dovetail joints, durable fabrics and the like, and as a result their pieces are both more expensive and likely to last longer still.) When we bought a new sofa last year, we did a lot of research and had one custom made at local shop; even though it's off-white and it gets A LOT of use, it looks like we just had it delivered last week. (Gotta love the D'oro suede.) If you don't mind some follow-up questions, from where are you buying and do you have a link to the set at the store?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They would be in daily use. We have a leather sofa we bought used for a great price in April 2007 and use it everyday. It's moving to another room, the office, for a matching set in the living area. We've looked around at the shops, in 2007 and now, and nothing seems quality. I'm now remembering why we just stopped looking and decided to use a used one before.

I'm thinking about these, The Carrie in brown or The Charlie in brown. I like this company because they are made in the UK, where I live, and the company seems to get great reviews.

ETA: love our used one. I wish it were a bit deeper and it's only a two seater, but we both love it. We bought it on ebay and even with our cat it shows no wear. The couch has no tags so we can figure out who made it. We were really lucky to buy something so great on ebay, site unseen.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Research, research, research! The most expensive aren''t always the best and the cheapest aren''t always the worst! But you do usually need to spend a nice chunk of change to get things that will last for years.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I change my sofa every two years. I think I get bored with the same furniture. I have had inexpensive sofas which lasted really well, and expensive which didn''t seem to hold up with family use.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/24/2008 3:37:58 PM
Author: Maisie
I change my sofa every two years. I think I get bored with the same furniture. I have had inexpensive sofas which lasted really well, and expensive which didn''t seem to hold up with family use.

Maisie, do you really? It would do my head in! I hate shopping, I hate spending money, and I want everything to last forever no matter the price.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
DH and I have his dad''s old sofa - it was 12 years old when we got it, with this awful flower pattern but excellent shape. We put a slip cover over it and it''s still in great condition. Our other couch is a little older - it''s from the 1930s and it was re-done in the early 90''s. It''s the most uncomfortable piece of furniture ever, but it still looks great - so we''re definitely pushing the limits of how long furniture can last :)

Construction is really important, but so is fabric (though you''re going with leather - I''d say it probably matters a lot how you take care of it as well). My parents have had horrible luck with Lazy boy - after a year, the seats in their recliners were nearly threadbare, and little wooden pieces will just slip off. I think part of the reason our second-hand couch is in such great shape is that the material is this really stuff...brocade? It''s cloth (woven), but kinda scratchy, not at all soft. It is also not very pillowy.

FWIW, I might try a factory warehouse and see if you can find the same piece for less...we just stopped in one looking for dining room piece - the guy showed us what the mark-up was for the stuff at Furniture Row and it was insane. According to the guy (and this probably part of his sales pitch, but it still might be worth looking into), little tiny hole-in-the-wall warehouse places order the same items, and since there is no overhead for advertising and heating etc for a giant show room, you can get slashed prices.

One more thing...are you sure you want a sofa bed? My experience with them is that they''re uncomfortable no matter what. My parents used to put an air mattress on top of theirs which made it MUCH better - but I''m to the point that I''d just rather have the air mattress on its own.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/24/2008 3:35:35 PM
Author: neatfreak
Research, research, research! The most expensive aren''t always the best and the cheapest aren''t always the worst! But you do usually need to spend a nice chunk of change to get things that will last for years.
Amen to that.

I''d buy a Massoud sofa in a heartbeat. Maybe you can get them in the UK. They have lovely, classic styles that stand the test of time, if you aren''t looking for avantgarde stuff. I bought mine back in ''92? It was covered in a tapestry. Tough as nails. I had it recovered last year - not because it needed it, but because I was tired of the fabric (which could have lasted another 10 I think) and wanted a change. The frame is made of kiln-dried wood and it''s built to LAST. The cushions are padded, 3-layer construction, with a heavy latex foam core. Indestructible, and worth recovering. GET LATEX! I can''t stress that one enough! They hold up and your behind will know the difference, trust me! You''ll know it''s latex just by picking it up: it will be a heavy cushion, and will be yielding without being mushy. Don''t go for an ultrasoft cushion. They''re hard to get in and out of and break down faster. Spring/down cushions are nice as well, but I still prefer latex.

Another reason to recover it, was because although they still make the same frame that I have, a NEW one would have come in at about 3000. I paid 1200 back in the day, and paid that much to have it recovered at a local upholsterer. Still less than a new one. The major determining factor will be the fabric. Go tough! Don''t get a light or middleweight cotton - it will stretch and look raggy very quickly. And stay away from single-direction napped fabrics and those that crease. And don''t EVER get anything but BOXED cushions. The ones with piping. Unboxed cushions look like crap really fast.

Background: Ex-husband''s sister worked at a high-end furniture store. We got a discount...

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We don''t have to have the sofa bed, if it''s not comfortable. My family and friends are out of the country and whent they come to visit they tend to stay for 1-2 weeks. We do have a sofa with a sofa bed and have slept on it before, it''s actually pretty good, but if we can''t find a good sofa with a sofa bed then that''s fine too.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
We have a Pottery Barn sofa that has lasted us 2 years so far and looks like many more to come. The only complaint is that its dingy because of its cream color.

You don''t have to spend a ton to get a nice sofa. FlexSteel has some of the best and I see advertisements all the time for an $800 sofa. The warranty is really great too, I believe.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2008 3:41:12 PM
Author: Addy

Maisie, do you really? It would do my head in! I hate shopping, I hate spending money, and I want everything to last forever no matter the price.
I do. It drives my husband mad! I always give my old stuff to Oxfam so someone can get use out of it. I never spend more than £1000 on sofas so it doesn''t seem so bad... mind you, if you add it up over 10 years its enough for a rather large diamond!!

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
When I read your post, the first thing that came to mind was something that Nate (the amazing interior designer who frequents Oprah and is actually on TODAY!) said on an Oprah episode: Buying a sofa is an investment. Don''t cheap out. Buy something that will last 20+ years. Then Gail (Oprah''s BFF) chimed in about how she bought a sofa because it was on sale a few years ago and she is now replacing it.

Last Christmas my parents bought us a gorgeous Natuzzi 2-seater with a right-hand chaise. We spent over 2 hours in the store trying different sofas, selecting the leather, etc. I obviously had Nate''s comment in my mind as we were shopping and I absolutely love our sofa!

My parents also have a sofabed (don''t know the brand, sorry!) that we have had for over 20 years. It is still in great condition with few signs of wear and tear.

Addy, you posted in one of my threads about shopping around for e-rings...and a sofa is much the same. You don''t want to be spending thousands of dollars on something that you won''t be happy with and will need to replace a few months or years down the line...

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you post some brand/designer names I''ll run them by hubby. His family has been in the furniture business for years, and they specialize in sofas and dinette sets. He knows way more about sofas than any person should.

jbazz

Rough_Rock
I have always loved Henredon/Ralph Lauren. I have had my current sofa in the family room (the one that gets used) for about 20 years. It has been recovered 3 times. It is Henredon and I got it 60% off at Mathis Brothers in Tulsa Ok.

Your frame really is going to determine who long your sofa lasts. A good kiln dried, hard wood, 8 way hand tied frame will last decades. Fabric can be replaced.

I cant imagine buying throw away sofas and having them wind up in a land fill every 2 years. It just seems so waistful.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/24/2008 4:41:14 PM
Author: jbazz

Your frame really is going to determine who long your sofa lasts. A good kiln dried, hard wood, 8 way hand tied frame will last decades. Fabric can be replaced.

Jbazz is exactly right. When you go to a store and the owner/salesman keeps talking about specific terms like kiln dried hardwood and hand-tied frames with pride, or the ones KSinger mentioned as well about cushion cores, pay attention. Conversely, if the salesman/owner volunteers nothing specific along these lines to promote the product... move on.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/24/2008 4:51:16 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis
Date: 11/24/2008 4:41:14 PM

Author: jbazz

Jbazz is exactly right. When you go to a store and the owner/salesman keeps talking about specific terms like kiln dried hardwood and hand-tied frames with pride, or the ones KSinger mentioned as well about cushion cores, pay attention. Conversely, if the salesman/owner volunteers nothing specific along these lines to promote the product... move on.

Thanks everyone! I'm writing down all the fancy words. There are a couple of stores I'd like to visit. I think one is still in Camden and then the one I linked earlier.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Addy, we bought a leather sofa about 2 years ago - spent forever looking and finally found it at the Ideal Home Show.

The really important things to check for are the construction of the frame - and above all with leather, that the leather is full thickness. A lot of the leather used in 'cheap' chains that sell sofas are split hides, so the leather is very thin and won't stand up to wear.

A good sofa should last a LONG time. If the base is a good solid construction, then even if it needs a bit of upholstery work every 20 years or so it should still look good.

A good sofa is an investment - and a wise choice will save you money in the long run. We got ours from Woodhouse Furnishings - but not sure if they are still making them.

I HATE buying furniture that won't outlive me - other than cheapy ikea bookcases etc. I always try to buy old/antique pieces as they are often better made and it's good for the environment. If I buy new, I tend to buy pieces that will improve and appreciate in value with age.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
We have had one for a very long time.Had it re-upholstered two or three times.When you get a good quality, comfortable sofa that you really like then you may want to do that.Re-upholstering sofa ( both inside and outside) that you really like a lot is definitely worth doing.Ours has been with us for a long time and still looks great and is very comfortable.Can''t imagine parting with it.
Look for a classic design that won''t go out of style if you want to keep it.I think its worth investing your money on a good sofa.After all you will spend lots of time on it.You want it to last and if you get bored then get it re upholstered.Maybe years ago they used to make better furniture.Ours was made in Italy and was pricey then.Definitely has paid for itself many times.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/25/2008 3:17:09 PM
Author: Pandora II
Addy, we bought a leather sofa about 2 years ago - spent forever looking and finally found it at the Ideal Home Show.

The really important things to check for are the construction of the frame - and above all with leather, that the leather is full thickness. A lot of the leather used in ''cheap'' chains that sell sofas are split hides, so the leather is very thin and won''t stand up to wear.

A good sofa should last a LONG time. If the base is a good solid construction, then even if it needs a bit of upholstery work every 20 years or so it should still look good.

A good sofa is an investment - and a wise choice will save you money in the long run. We got ours from Woodhouse Furnishings - but not sure if they are still making them.

I HATE buying furniture that won''t outlive me - other than cheapy ikea bookcases etc. I always try to buy old/antique pieces as they are often better made and it''s good for the environment. If I buy new, I tend to buy pieces that will improve and appreciate in value with age.

I was hoping that you and other UK based people would chime in! Woodhouse only has one sofa, but I did find tons of other stuff I liked there. Do you know of any other places I should check out? I visited all the chain stores just to look at styles I liked.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
i work in furniture and most decent sofas have a 5 yr manufac. warranty. the leather is going to be a more expensive than a fabric. i think that 1600 or so is fair. there are some sofas out there that are a bit more and they will last you around 10 years.

my advice to you is to get a decent one. with a 5 yr warranty. the high end ones will last longer, but you will prob. tire of it before you need a new one. i

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know, but I hope forever LOL...I got the most amazing Lee Industries sofa in this super soft faux velvet and I just want to roll around on it all day LOL....I even take turns putting my fat rear on each of the three cushions for even wear :)

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Just curious, do you redecorate the whole room, or just change things around with new furniture? I''ve had my sofa for about ten years (although I''ve had it re-upholstered a couple of times) and my chaise longe is a hand me down, of about 150 years old, upholstered to match the sofa. I always redecorate to suit the furniture, but maybe I should do it thre other wat round. I need a change! Trouble is, the sofa seems to want to go on forever. I fear I''d have to take it out and shoot it before I could get a new one!
6.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are on our third sofa (in 11.5 years), and that one is ready to make the trip to the treelawn as well! We have small children, so I think that might have something to do with our furniture being destoyed.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We bought a set of sofas today. Of course, we liked the more expensive ones! We ended up spending about 2800 in the store.

I came home and looked at them again on line and found the prices were slightly cheaper and I should have saved about 100 so I think we''re going to call them on Monday when they open and see if they will refund the extra 100. Our tax here changed recently and I think it''s throwing everyone''s system off. Since our tax is included to the price you see rather than added to the price like in the US it''s a bit harder to figure out. I feel a bit picky, but £100 is £100!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results