shape
carat
color
clarity

"Engagement" ring versus other types

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

verte86

Rough_Rock
This is probably a really dumb question, but what makes an "engagement" ring an engagement ring, and not just another ring? I see a lot of art deco/Edwardian stuff that seems very untraditional in appearance being sold as engagement rings, and I am drawn to the fact that they aren''t "typical." Should something being used to an engagement ring conform to a certain style, or can any ring be reasonably presented as an engagement ring provided it is appropriate for daily wear? I am starting to shop around and don''t want to limit myself just in the way a ring is being marketed, or do I?

Thanks for your help.
26.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
An engagement ring is coupled with a proposal and worn on the left hand (in the US) - that''s what makes it an engagement ring. Around here, you''ll find folks with beautiful colored stones as e-rings, women who have an eternity band, a 3-stone, a 5-stone, (a friend of mine had a two-stone) a cluster ring, antique rings, rings with a diamond halo around the center stone, and simple solitaires.

I will say that there are some styles that are not easy to wear every day, so many PSers do not wear their e-ring on a daily basis and opt for a band or a second ring for daily wear. And, there are always random strangers/friends/family members who will say some stupid remark about a different style...but unfortunately, that''s the response when anybody does something against the norm. I think it would be a really boring world if everyone had a solitaire diamond ring so I love seeing beautiful e-rings that are outside the box.

If you love it, and it''s the symbol that you and your partner choose to symbolize your commitment, then it''s the perfect choice for your engagement ring. :)

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2008 9:08:03 PM
Author: Elmorton
An engagement ring is coupled with a proposal and worn on the left hand (in the US) - that''s what makes it an engagement ring.

Ditto!

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Me (us) too. And I would add that in my view the symbolic aspect of the object should definitely take precedence over wearability concerns (at least, it did for us).

Date: 11/16/2008 10:16:01 PM
Author: neatfreak

An engagement ring is coupled with a proposal and worn on the left hand (in the US) - that''s what makes it an engagement ring.

Ditto!
Double Ditto.

There are plenty of rings on here that I never would use for an engagement ring. But the more I''ve looked at different styles that people use: colored stones, colored diamonds, no diamonds... I like it! To me, I don''t care what people use for an engagement ring- the relationship is personal and unique to that couple, so I can''t expect everyone to want the same diamond engagement ring!!

21.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An engagement ring is coupled with a proposal and worn on the left hand (in the US) - that''s what makes it an engagement ring. Around here, you''ll find folks with beautiful colored stones as e-rings, women who have an eternity band, a 3-stone, a 5-stone, (a friend of mine had a two-stone) a cluster ring, antique rings, rings with a diamond halo around the center stone, and simple solitaires.

I will say that there are some styles that are not easy to wear every day, so many PSers do not wear their e-ring on a daily basis and opt for a band or a second ring for daily wear. And, there are always random strangers/friends/family members who will say some stupid remark about a different style...but unfortunately, that''s the response when anybody does something against the norm. I think it would be a really boring world if everyone had a solitaire diamond ring so I love seeing beautiful e-rings that are outside the box.

If you love it, and it''s the symbol that you and your partner choose to symbolize your commitment, then it''s the perfect choice for your engagement ring. :)
HI:

Some folks get married without an ER--to me it is the proposal outlining the intent of marriage that is the key. I say wear what you like!
9.gif

cheers--Sharon

susi

Shiny_Rock
Not a dumb question.....and great answers from everyone.

I wear a solitaire on my left hand. The stone was given to me by my husband (not my engagement diamond) and I just had the stone remounted into a gold shank with plat X prongs. It may "look like" a "traditional" ( whatever that is these days??) engagement ring, but, it is not in my case.

Still, I wear it, all alone most everyday while my original e-ring is destined for our daughter and resides in our safe deposit box.

People ask if it''s my e-ring and I say, no. It''s a gift.

rnbwsktles

Rough_Rock
I''m surprised no one has mentioned this earlier, as it always comes up in posts like these! Make sure that you choose something that will fit her style. You may want to give her something special and unique, but if she''s expecting a diamond solitaire she could be very disappointed! It doesn''t hurt to shop around with her or at least someone close to her that will have an idea of what she likes. There''s a good chance she''s talked about the styles she''s liked with friends.

This is all assuming you are male. If not, I apologize!
40.gif

LGK

Ideal_Rock
My sister, me, and my sister in law all wear antique filigree e-rings alone without a wedding band. It''s a bit non-traditional looking, but it was what all of us liked the look of the most. If you like the filigree/antique rings, do bear in mind it can be a bit tricky to match a band with one. All three of us forego a separate band completely.

Just go with what you like. Sure, if it is really non-traditional you will undoubtedly get weird questions/comments, but hey... you will anyway probably. I sure do. (Though I''ll admit it''s usually 99% really sweet complimentary things, and the single wingnut that says something bizarre. But you sure do remember the weird ones! One woman went absolutely ballistic when I wouldn''t tell her what my husband paid for my ring and started shouting at me.)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results