shape
carat
color
clarity

$100,000 budget for a e-ring (hypothetical)

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Say you have a $100,000 budget (maybe up to $125k) and you want a MRB solitaire engagement ring. What diamond specs would you get to maximize value. Assume a minimum carat size of 2.5 and "average" sensitivity to color, clarity, etc.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Say you have a $100,000 budget (maybe up to $125k) and you want a MRB solitaire engagement ring. What diamond specs would you get to maximize value. Assume a minimum carat size of 2.5 and "average" sensitivity to color, clarity, etc.

I'd get the biggest I/VS2 ACA I could find, lol.

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Any idea on what type of size you could get with this budget?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d have HPD get CBI to custom cut me an H color VS or VVS in the largest I could get for that amount.

The ACA would work for me too. :love:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d have HPD get CBI to custom cut me an H color VS or VVS in the largest I could get for that amount.

The ACA would work for me too. :love:

Yup. Id get the biggest CBI I could afford. I'd look for G/H color and SI/VS2 clarity to maximize size :)

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would go with an I and as low in clarity as I could get and still be eye clean to maximize size. Add in fluorescence, too. Definitely AGS 0 but I'm not sure if I'd spend the money on a sper-ideal. I have no idea where I would wear a diamond that large other than in the house, though. :D

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
I'd bend the rules and get 2.5ctw+

4 or so different E-rings.
1 ct H+ VSI+ chubby emerald- french cut baguettes, plain Maevona setting, or horizontal baguettes
~0.75ct H+ VS1+ OEC- engraved solitaire
1ct E+ oval in a modified The Gemstone Project setting
3 stone with precision cut colored stones- no idea for cut or diamond center vs diamond side stones

Then I'd spend the remaining 70k of the 100k on vacations.

I

Irving

I'd get D/E and VVS2+, possibly custom cut, with the largest carat I could find from any of the top vendors like BGD (Black), WF, Victor Canera, CBI, etc. I'd also get a very nice platinum setting.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Negotiate with Phoenix for Holly, stretch the budget / payment plan...

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you actually see that 8ct IRL? I know colour is subjective and I am colour-sensitive. I am just wondering how it actually looks like IRL. I've been wondering if I should upgrade to that and kill my DSS once and for all!
I did see it and that is my hand! The round stone between my index and middle fingers is 5.338 (this one actually -https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...ls/5.388-j-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104064610030 ) so you can see a significant size increase. I know that you are color sensitive and I personally can detect color pretty easily, but honestly, when I was holding that diamond, size and amazing rainbow flashes is all I saw. The diamond has a small table and my ideal angle proportions. I was completely and utterly mesmerized.:love:
I have more pics and videos, but I don’t want to hijack the thread, maybe I will start a new one.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did see it and that is my hand! The round stone between my index and middle fingers is 5.338 (this one actually -https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...ls/5.388-j-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104064610030 ) so you can see a significant size increase. I know that you are color sensitive and I personally can detect color pretty easily, but honestly, when I was holding that diamond, size and amazing rainbow flashes is all I saw. The diamond has a small table and my ideal angle proportions. I was completely and utterly mesmerized.:love:
I have more pics and videos, but I don’t want to hijack the thread, maybe I will start a new one.

Wow! You have gorgeous model hands! Is the 3-stone ring yours? It's beautiful!

Please if you would? I'd love to see.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Phoenix - Years?! It sounds like a trip to the US is in order.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Meanwhile I would get the biggest antique cushion or emerald cut I could find. I'm not colour sensitive (I am more than happy with my 4ct L, for example) but I would aim for a VS clarity stone.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get a big perfectly flowery OEC - probably as bright and clean as possible.
OWD has a 2.82 D IF but there's no pic. l'd definitely look at this 4.28 1 VVS2 as it's big, clear and looks like a good pattern

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! You have gorgeous model hands! Is the 3-stone ring yours? It's beautiful!

Please if you would? I'd love to see.
Haha :D I wouldn’t call them model hands especially since the TX heat was playing tricks on me, but thanks! The three stone was/is mine. I will try to create a new thread in the next day or so once I consolidate the pics. ;-)

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you actually see that 8ct IRL? I know colour is subjective and I am colour-sensitive. I am just wondering how it actually looks like IRL. I've been wondering if I should upgrade to that and kill my DSS once and for all!

Haha, I've seen that stone listed for several years. I might seriously consider it if I could see it IRL.

Say, doesn't Brian Gavin offer free returns so one can check a stone out at home...? :whistle:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results