shape
carat
color
clarity

10 yr old dog RIPPED out a toe nail....OUCH!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
My poor sweet airedale... he was so excited to get outside yesterday, he went thru the front screen door. Its one of those Phantom sliding screen doors that retract when you open them, which it did, so the screen was not damaged, but it has a very narrow runner track at the bottom and I guess he was startled enough that he put more pressure on that tract than he normally would, and his nail got caught in it.

Both dogs had their nails trimmed at petSmart 2 weekends ago and we walk them on pavement/gravel every day, which keeps the tips rounded off and ground down as much as walking on pavement will do. His nails look like black bear claws normally!

DH was taking them out then notice splashes of frank red blood on the pathway - going and coming from the dog pen, then in the house, off to the water bowl, etc. Tracked it down to his toe and used some of that styptic powder to stop the bleeding. The dog never whimpered, or gave any indication he was in pain or anything was wrong. Coming back from our walk that night, I notice a curved black 'casing' on the ground and realize it was his nail - pulled out right from the root! OMG! the poor dog!!! :-o

We cleaned it as best as he'd allow us to and there is no more bleeding. He doesn't limp when walking. He pulls his paw away when we try to look, but I'd be pulling my 'paw' away too, if that were me!

Any one ever had a dog/cat loose their complete nail? Anything we should be doing for this? Google says contact the vet if any issues with mobility - but he's just this moment back in from running/racing in the back yard. Mobility seems ok, I'd say!

Reactions: AV_

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Ouch, it sounds so painful but I think dogs don't have as many nerve endings in their feet as we do. My sister has a Dalmation and he lost two nails last summer - exactly the same as you she noticed blood and found that they were gone. She rang the vet who advised her to keep a close eye on it and if he started to lick it excessively or limp to bring him in. He was fine. Hope your dog heals well.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Both of my dogs lost a toenail the same week (this was several months ago). We noticed the same way, lots of blood! My vet said not to bother bringing either of them in unless it looked infected or they seemed to be in pain. Byron's nail grew back a little crooked, but Bo's looks completely normal.

Poor pooch, he'll probably love all the extra attention you'll be giving him :)

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This hurts just reading about it! :(sad poor puppy!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
So sorry to hear of the accidental pooch pedicurectomy. My Squigi JRT had one of those about 5 years ago walking down the street.One of those diamond plate steel doors in the sidewalk to a store front basement that was quite rusted and full of holes. she must have got her toe stuck in there. I never found the nail but that must be where it happened. some bleeding and limping, but she recovered. I felt terrible, hadnt even noticed until someone told me my dog was leaving a trail of red paw prints. I hope yours has a speedy and uneventful recovery.

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
Poor doggie! I hope it heals well.

I completely misread the title on this one. I thought he had ripped out *your* toenail. :errrr:

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ouch! Poor thing. We once clipped our boy's nail too short and it bled on and off for two days. It didn't seem to bother him but it would bleed everything time he put pressure on it.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This so weird, as this happened to our dog last week. He got it caught on a heating grate in the floor of our house and didn't manage to pull it all the way off, so its there, but is not pink and healthy looking like his other toenails, but grey/whitish color...anyway, there was a lot of blood. I can't decide whether I need to take him to the vet to have the nail removed, or whether it will fall off on its own like happens to us when we slam our car door on our finger, or hit it with a hammer. Sigh. :(sad

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Yikes-hard to believe that didn't hurt. Never had this happen to a dog. Hope it gets better fast!

hoover

Shiny_Rock
Ouchy! Poor baby :((

I've never heard of that happening to doggies, but it did happen to my bunny once. I noticed a lot of blood and tried to wrap up his foot (he chewed the bandage off) to stop the bleeding and prevent infection. If I remember correctly, it took at least 3 months for it to grow back...

Hope your guy's doing well and gets better soon...

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Update - bummer --- he's limping and favouring that paw and I did NOT take him for a walk tonight. Our lab was quite confused by this - "why are YOU walking me and where is my bro and your DH?" :lol: She was so out of sorts she kept looking at me like WTH are we doing here, you and me??? Dogs are funny!

My little injured furbaby was quite put out that he wasn't going on a walk - not when you hobble over here, am I going to take you for 2k!

So, he's on his big dog cushion, not licking his paw, just resting. He gets up for water, goes to the window, still looks perky and tail wagging, but he's def feeling it today.

Thanks to all of your for your dog stories! I'm glad that you shared your toe nail loss stories Vapidlapid, NEL, Lottie and Minousbijoux - I know he'll be ok eventually, but I feel so badly for him....the things their nails get into, eh? grates, sidewalk doors... so many challenges when you aren't wearing 'shoes' all the time!

Lotus you made me laugh thinking that it was MY nail! and I have another thread on the go about how terribly my finger nails are!

Puppmom - we tend to accidentally clip their quick when we cut their nails, that's why we go to petSmart now - plus its an INSANE battle with the lab... pay the $$ and no stress :))

Thank you lulu and Mayk - I hope my big baby bounces back quickly too - and it totally makes me feel all queasy inside when I think about how that whole event took place. ew ew ew!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
hoover - 3 MONTHS!!!! wow! But then, human nails can take up to 6 months, so I guess that makes sense. Knowing how often we have to clip them, geez, I'm imagining it should be grown in by the weekend! They normally grow like wildfire, but starting from scratch ---- probably not!

I would imagine your bunny thought the bandaid was a special treat for him to chew on!!

hoover

Shiny_Rock
My dog acts like I'm totally putting him out when I do his toenails.

I find it's easier to have him lay on his back between my legs (I use my legs to sandwich his body in place) and clip his nails that way. It's easier for me to see the quick and sometimes use a flashlight if I'm having trouble seeing the tip. He usually sighs the whole time and won't look at me during the process :lol: afterwards, I just give him a treat and all is forgiven :roll:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
hoover|1336090198|3187001 said:
My dog acts like I'm totally putting him out when I do his toenails.

I find it's easier to have him lay on his back between my legs (I use my legs to sandwich his body in place) and clip his nails that way. It's easier for me to see the quick and sometimes use a flashlight if I'm having trouble seeing the tip. He usually sighs the whole time and won't look at me during the process :lol: afterwards, I just give him a treat and all is forgiven :roll:

I love your avatar where he is wearing the "cone of shame"!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: (that's what we call it at our house!)

He just sighs??? omg - the lab is like Harry Houdini, contorting all over the place like a cirque de soleil acrobat, trying to get out of the death grip we have to head lock her into, and that's for each nail! Airedale just resigns himself to it happening, but huffs and puffs like he's thinking, "This is SOOO demeaning for me and I can't believe you are doing this to me" :rolleyes:

hoover

Shiny_Rock
Enerchi, there's always a difficult one in the family, isn't there?

Yep, it was about 3 months before I saw the little nail nub. It was quite a while before it grew long enough to need trimming again...

The dog just takes the nail clipping AFTER it starts. Before that, if he sees me grab the nail clippers, it's like a standoff at the OK Corral. We look at each other, we both pause, and then he either runs away or runs towards me and yells/barks at me and tries to grab the clippers out of my hand :roll: Once i get him and put him on his back, he just acts all defeated :lol:

Clipping the bunny's nails are like your Lab. Definitely a two-person job, cuz he does the squirming and curls his little front paws into a fist - I have to pry open those little furry fists to clip the nails. He's punched DH a few times and one time almost got dropped cuz he got DH in the nose :lol: I told DH to man up cuz think of the embarassment if word got out that he let a 4 lb bunny take him down :tongue:

Yes, we call it the "cone of shame" too!
That pic was from when he was a pup and had to lose his two little friends... The cone didn't stay on very long because he kept trying to get it off (and we felt bad that he did a face plant every time his cone caught an edge of the tile because was so short).
I could post a pic from after his first bath in the pet picture thread - if looks could kill.... :lol:

auggiecone.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Saw this on a T shirt in Chatham, Mass, this past summer. "Its all fun and games until someone ends up in the cone"! Cracked me up then... still cracks me up now!!!

The indignity of being placed in the cone of shame.... :lol:

Cone T shirt.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry your puppy got hurt. I hope he heals quickly and without complications or infection.

We're going to have to put the Cone of Shame (we call it that too!) on one of our cats soon because she's over grooming and has scabs all over her back as a result. Those pics were funny.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, poor pup! I hope he heals quickly and easily. That's never happened to any of our pups, but I do think dogs have a pretty high threshold for pain, so I hope he's not in much at all. We have friends whose Boston Terrier tore up ALL of her paw pads playing fetch on a tennis court. They had no idea the running was tearing her paw pads up until after nearly a half hour of playing when they left the tennis court and saw little bloody paw prints on the sidewalk. :-o They felt HORRIBLE, but she didn't even whimper or complain once. Strong little things.

Enerchi--I love the cone of shame shirt! I definitely need one of those.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, the only thing that will speed up my poor doggies pain and nail issue, is a milgrain marquise shaped, diamond eternity band in a size 7.75 :Up_to_something: He told me that himself - from his bed... where he can barely lift his head to speak... but speak he did - "mommy - I need Gypsy's ring - go tell her!" Really, honest to goodness he said it - clear as day!!!

ROFLMAO!!! :lol:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1336095821|3187087 said:
Gypsy, the only thing that will speed up my poor doggies pain and nail issue, is a milgrain marquise shaped, diamond eternity band in a size 7.75 :Up_to_something: He told me that himself - from his bed... where he can barely lift his head to speak... but speak he did - "mommy - I need Gypsy's ring - go tell her!" Really, honest to goodness he said it - clear as day!!!

ROFLMAO!!! :lol:

ROFLMAO. It will be here tomorrow. I'm laughing full belly laughs over here. I gotta go pee now, thanks!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whoa --- get to the facilities STAT! I don't want to be responsible for an accident! We'll have to put you in the cone of shame, if you mess on the floor, young lady!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Ouch! I'm sorry, Enerchi!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1336096680|3187099 said:
Whoa --- get to the facilities STAT! I don't want to be responsible for an accident! We'll have to put you in the cone of shame, if you mess on the floor, young lady!

Sorry for the TMI. I was clearly having a Toddler moment flashback. :oops:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Danny, the poor guy is limping this morning and he just hobbles from point A to a very close by point B. I have had a look - as best I can with the fur around the area and the constant withdrawal of his paw... and it is not bleeding nor does it look infected, so that's good, but I'm sure its sore as all get out. Ouch. I feel so bad for him - he NEVER complains about anything. Such a sweet dog. I'm going to call the vet and get recommendations from them.

Gypsy - I'm still living toddler moments all the time! :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1336137165|3187351 said:
Thanks Danny, the poor guy is limping this morning and he just hobbles from point A to a very close by point B. I have had a look - as best I can with the fur around the area and the constant withdrawal of his paw... and it is not bleeding nor does it look infected, so that's good, but I'm sure its sore as all get out. Ouch. I feel so bad for him - he NEVER complains about anything. Such a sweet dog. I'm going to call the vet and get recommendations from them.

Oh Enerchi, I am sorry to hear of this. Definitely call your vet to get some info as to the best course of action. Ouch is right. Don't our darling furbabies get into the worse situations. If I could tell you what we have been through over the years with our cats...oy vey!

A few years ago we were on vacation at the Jersey shore and on the night before my dh's bday celebration Tommy jumped from the stereo speaker and somehow threw it off balance and it clipped him on the tail. OFC, being the master of deception he hid it from us and ran somewhere to hide so I thought he was OK (rather I pushed the thought that he was hurt from my mind as we had a big bday to get ready for the next day and it was late at night). Fast forward to next day seeing blood on the floors. Well, after an emergency medical visit (3 hours in duration I believe) at the closest 24/7 animal hospital turns out he broke his tail and they weren't sure it could be saved! ;( I called my sister and after she consulted with the emergency vet at Red Bank they did surgery at the animal hospital. We wouldn't know for a month or two if the tail would be saved. Poor Tommy had to wear the cone of silence and it was hell.

Turned out all was well and his tail was saved...YAY!!! But it was a hellish two months of going back and forth every week to my sister's clinic (we went back home from vacation) to see what progress was being made and to redress the bandages etc. What these furbabies put us through LOL!

Wishing you and your darling dog the best possible outcome with the least aggravation Enerchi!!!

Here's a pic of the cone of silence our dear Tommy had to endure.
ETA: we had only just adopted Tommy a month or so before this happened so you could imagine my guilt at allowing this horrific (that's how it felt at the time) event happen. And I felt the 1 day delay at getting him help was 100% my fault because I didn't search him out when it first occurred because I was convincing myself he was OK. I learned my lesson and was so thankful he recovered fully from this.

Tommy's Cone of Silence.jpg

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Ohh. poor doggy! Ouch. The closest in my house was when my cats were kittens, one of my girl's claws grew looooong and sharp. I needed to clip them and accidentally cut into the quick. She flinched but I did not realize what I had done until a few hours later I noticed blood on my floor and traced it back to where she was sleeping. Poor baby! I never did that again and when I do trim the claws, am super careful to stay away from the quick. Those things bleed! (and I'm sure hurt too).

hoover

Shiny_Rock
Hi Enerchi, just checking in to see how your pup is doing...

Hopefully better :)

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
missy|1336137898|3187359 said:
Enerchi|1336137165|3187351 said:

Oh Enerchi, I am sorry to hear of this. Definitely call your vet to get some info as to the best course of action. Ouch is right. Don't our darling furbabies get into the worse situations. If I could tell you what we have been through over the years with our cats...oy vey!

A few years ago we were on vacation at the Jersey shore and on the night before my dh's bday celebration Tommy jumped from the stereo speaker and somehow threw it off balance and it clipped him on the tail. OFC, being the master of deception he hid it from us and ran somewhere to hide so I thought he was OK (rather I pushed the thought that he was hurt from my mind as we had a big bday to get ready for the next day and it was late at night). Fast forward to next day seeing blood on the floors. Well, after an emergency medical visit (3 hours in duration I believe) at the closest 24/7 animal hospital turns out he broke his tail and they weren't sure it could be saved! ;( I called my sister and after she consulted with the emergency vet at Red Bank they did surgery at the animal hospital. We wouldn't know for a month or two if the tail would be saved. Poor Tommy had to wear the cone of silence and it was hell.

Turned out all was well and his tail was saved...YAY!!! But it was a hellish two months of going back and forth every week to my sister's clinic (we went back home from vacation) to see what progress was being made and to redress the bandages etc. What these furbabies put us through LOL!

Aww, poor thing. Glad he was OK.

Wishing you and your darling dog the best possible outcome with the least aggravation Enerchi!!!

Here's a pic of the cone of silence our dear Tommy had to endure.
ETA: we had only just adopted Tommy a month or so before this happened so you could imagine my guilt at allowing this horrific (that's how it felt at the time) event happen. And I felt the 1 day delay at getting him help was 100% my fault because I didn't search him out when it first occurred because I was convincing myself he was OK. I learned my lesson and was so thankful he recovered fully from this.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Phone call to the vet completed. It's not necessary to bring him in unless we don't see an improvement in his gait (as in - he is still limping 3 days post incident) or if it starts to bleed again. The nail will regrow back with no problem but it's a slow process. The dog will lick to give himself comfort and to clean, so that's ok he is doing that. As for pain - I'm suggesting a Tylenol 3 or vicodin but she thought I was a bit over the top with that (ya think???? :rolleyes: ) so its ok for him to take 1/2 and Advil q6h to help reduce the swelling. No aspirin (bleeding risk) and no Tylenol (liver) but Advil or Motrin are ok. 1/2 tab because he's 65 - 70 lbs and that's approx 1/2 a human adult size.

So, DH is home at lunch and he's been medicated. tick tock... want to keep him comfy. I feel so bad for him. Why did we take him for that long walk when we should have known....???? But - must remain guilt free here, we DIDN'T know. After the bleeding stopped, there were no signs at all of anything - he was still running, walking, acting normal. I'm glad I saw that nail at the front door, otherwise we'd still be scratching our heads....

I think I'm going to have to wear the cone of shame for a while.... I'm a bad dog mommy.... :((

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
sssshhhh... my dog seems a bit loopy on 1/2 an advil.... ssssshhhhh!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results