Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

10 Year Anniversary Gift! Help on oval diamond please!

snotty_pie

Shiny_Rock
Hello Pricescope community! I have gotten approval for a 10 year anni gift (yay!), and I went to some local B&M stores to look around. I found a spready 3 ct. oval ring that I liked, but after receiving a copy of the cert, it doesn't meet the "ideal" proportions. I liked it looking straight down the table, but if you looked at it at 45 degree angles, it was like 25% of it would go dark (like a pie slice). Is that normal for an oval or is it just not well-cut? Here's a copy of the cert - http://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=2171617342.

I know how hard ovals can be to find! Thanks in advance for any help!

img_13723.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very shallow with a huge table. It is hard to find well cut ovals. Can you tell us how many pavilion facets it has on the bottom
of the stone?

Here is a nicely cut oval...you can turn the stone and see how it acts compared to the one that you are looking at.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/2.19-carat-g-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-617158

How much are they asking for the one you are looking at OR do you have a budget? We can look and see what is in your price
range.

snotty_pie

Shiny_Rock
Hi Tyty!

It has 4 pavilion facets. I agree that it's really oddly shaped (huge table, shallow stone), so I was surprised that I liked it. They were asking for $47K set (ouch on the B&M markup).

I am not in a huge hurry, so I have time to find the right stone. I'd like to spend no more than $25K on the center stone, and I prefer that it's at least 11.5mm long. I have found that I like ratios of about 1.4.

Thanks again!

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    Memorial Day Jewelry 2020
    Memorial Day Jewelry 2020

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.