shape
carat
color
clarity

10 Minutes Later, $4800 poorer

seth22h

Rough_Rock
I've been doing my research like a madman for the right diamond. I thought I was sticking with WhiteFlash, but their inventory is pretty low in options for what I wanted. I took a look at BlueNile this evening and found what seems to be a steal.

I bought it after only a few minutes. Please critique the diamond so I know if I'm missing something. :read:

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-or-less-ideal-cut-i-color-vvs1-clarity_LD02877359?keyword_search_value=ld02877359

Thank you for your time and wisdom.

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not an expert. All I can say is WHAT A STEALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!

ncpalafox

Rough_Rock
HCA score is 1.7, seems like you did well!

Light Return Excellent
Fire Very Good
Scintillation Very Good
Spread Very Good

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you did great!! Is BN setting it as well, or are you going to use one of the PS vendors for your setting?

Great buy!

seth22h

Rough_Rock
I am not sure if I trust BN, but it doesn't matter because they don't have a setting I like. I am trying to see if WF will let me buy just the setting, then I will have it set locally.

I don't understand how I got "a steal" on a diamond. This seems to good to be true.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
seth22h|1361539970|3387502 said:
I am not sure if I trust BN, but it doesn't matter because they don't have a setting I like. I am trying to see if WF will let me buy just the setting, then I will have it set locally.

I don't understand how I got "a steal" on a diamond. This seems to good to be true.

I don't think that you got a steal, but I do think you paid a fair price for the stone. Do you intend on having it independently appraised when you receive it? I would want to be sure that the internal graining wasn't causing any transparency issues. Other than that the proportions look good. :))

seth22h

Rough_Rock
For a typical consumer with the resources at hand, it seems this is a really good deal. I assume because this is GIA certified it is legit. It is laser inscribed. I plan on having it thoroughly checked out.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All the other .90 range I VVS stones looked to be in the same price category, so I don't see how it could be considered a steal by any means. It is a fair price. The price seems good because it is just below a carat, so in comparison to a 1 ct. stone, the price is better. But it looks like a nice stone, which is what matters!

seth22h

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1361545135|3387562 said:
All the other .90 range I VVS stones looked to be in the same price category, so I don't see how it could be considered a steal by any means. It is a fair price. The price seems good because it is just below a carat, so in comparison to a 1 ct. stone, the price is better. But it looks like a nice stone, which is what matters!

I didn't think I saw similarly priced diamonds on BN; in fact, this was the only diamond that came up within my search parameters at one point (don't remember what they were, though).

Is there a reliable diamond price calculator online? I use the average of about 5 (found per google), and found that this seemed to be somewhat of "a steal".

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
seth22h|1361546866|3387585 said:

I didn't think I saw similarly priced diamonds on BN; in fact, this was the only diamond that came up within my search parameters at one point (don't remember what they were, though).

Is there a reliable diamond price calculator online? I use the average of about 5 (found per google), and found that this seemed to be somewhat of "a steal".

Use the pricescope search function located at the top of the page. You will find several priced similarly. Many of the vendors also offer an additional discount to pricescope members, so even stones listed for several hundred dollars more could still end up being what you paid or less. You paid a fair price though and the diamonds proportions look promising and like DS said that's what is important. Shop around for diamonds enough and you'll quickly see that there are no steal purchasing retail. On the secondary market though.....

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Very nice stone. Post pics when you get it. Congrats!

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock

I would check with whichever local jeweler you would want to set the diamond because it might be hard to find a jeweler willing to set a stone that they didn't sell, into a setting that they didn't sell. Just something to research before you buy the setting...

seth22h

Rough_Rock
BeeCushion|1361573640|3388055 said:

I would check with whichever local jeweler you would want to set the diamond because it might be hard to find a jeweler willing to set a stone that they didn't sell, into a setting that they didn't sell. Just something to research before you buy the setting...

Yea, really good point -- i am a bit worried about that. The other downside: no kind of warranty. And the setting I like is a 4 prong, not 6.

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/legato-micro-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-911.htm

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
Can you find a local jeweler to make something custom for you?

seth22h

Rough_Rock
BeeCushion|1361595219|3388352 said:

No jeweler I have talked to (typical brick and mortar: tiffany's to helzberg) has this type of setting. Helzberg said "sure we can make that", but I don't believe that it would be the same. This seems to be a very unique setting; although I do think it is a ripoff of Vatche's Charis Solitair. But Vatche's features a heart-shaped carriage. That seems lame to me, so I'm hooked on this one even though I don't like the diamond melee.

Vatche without melee:
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/charis-solitaire-engagement-ring-by-vatche-1605.htm

With melee:
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/charis-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-by-vatche-1657.htm

:geek:

seth22h

Rough_Rock
Christina...|1361563977|3387884 said:

Use the pricescope search function located at the top of the page. You will find several priced similarly. Many of the vendors also offer an additional discount to pricescope members, so even stones listed for several hundred dollars more could still end up being what you paid or less. You paid a fair price though and the diamonds proportions look promising and like DS said that's what is important. Shop around for diamonds enough and you'll quickly see that there are no steal purchasing retail. On the secondary market though.....

Sorry -- I gotta challenge that :wink2: . It would seem only reasonable to me that with the many diamonds on the market (especially online), you can occasionally come across a deal. The pricescope search function only turned up some from James Allen and Whiteflash (the latter of which I had already scoured), and it seems this diamond was listed at least $500 below what it should have been for us typical consumers.

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
seth22h|1361599225|3388385 said:

No jeweler I have talked to (typical brick and mortar: tiffany's to helzberg) has this type of setting. Helzberg said "sure we can make that", but I don't believe that it would be the same. This seems to be a very unique setting; although I do think it is a ripoff of Vatche's Charis Solitair. But Vatche's features a heart-shaped carriage. That seems lame to me, so I'm hooked on this one even though I don't like the diamond melee.

Vatche without melee:
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/charis-solitaire-engagement-ring-by-vatche-1605.htm

With melee:
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/charis-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-by-vatche-1657.htm

Rather than looking at a chain, can you find a local independent high-end jeweler? They will be more likely to do custom work and I say high-end because they will probably have a better bench. You could also post here with your general location and see if anyone can recommend a jeweler reasonably close to you.

ETA: if what you want is Vatché, maybe go to their website and look up dealers... Maybe you can find a jeweler near you that carries their settings and could order it and set it for you. I actually liked some of their settings so I printed pictures and took to my local guy who is doing a custom piece based on the Vatché pics I brought in.

http://dvatche.com/index.php?page=retailers

seth22h

Rough_Rock
BeeCushion|1361600948|3388393 said:
seth22h|1361599225|3388385 said:

Vatche without melee:

With melee:

Rather than looking at a chain, can you find a local independent high-end jeweler? They will be more likely to do custom work and I say high-end because they will probably have a better bench. You could also post here with your general location and see if anyone can recommend a jeweler reasonably close to you.

ETA: if what you want is Vatché, maybe go to their website and look up dealers... Maybe you can find a jeweler near you that carries their settings and could order it and set it for you. I actually liked some of their settings so I printed pictures and took to my local guy who is doing a custom piece based on the Vatché pics I brought in.

http://dvatche.com/index.php?page=retailers

!! Thank you so much for this. Based on my location I may just have the perfect solution via that link. :)

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I didn't check pricing at all but wanted to note that the PS discount is essentially available to everyone. You are on PS now so you are a member too.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
seth22h|1361600032|3388390 said:
Christina...|1361563977|3387884 said:

Sorry -- I gotta challenge that :wink2: . It would seem only reasonable to me that with the many diamonds on the market (especially online), you can occasionally come across a deal. The pricescope search function only turned up some from James Allen and Whiteflash (the latter of which I had already scoured), and it seems this diamond was listed at least $500 below what it should have been for us typical consumers.

You appear happy with your purchase and that is all the matters. But I can assure you that diamonds retail for what they are worth. These vendors have been in the busy for many many years and know precisely what they have and what they can sell it for. If you needed to replace the stone tomorrow then I'm sure that you would be able to find a comparable deal. Having said that, finding a stone just a hair under a ct is a nice find as most cutters attempt to stretch it to a ct for the premium and as a result compromise it's performance, you've found a stone that will likely perform well and didn't have to pay the 1ct premium, that's a nice find and is reflected in the minimal options available at this weight.

https://www.pricescope.com/diamond-search-results/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results