shape
carat
color
clarity

#1 is DONE!

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
I am ENGAGED! FI officially asked me to marry him last night! :love: There wasn't a fancy proposal or anything. We had just come home from a day long celebration with his family for the 4th of July and he just asked me. It still doesn't feel real yet.

We haven't announced it to anyone yet, so you all are getting privileged information! We are supposed to go see my parents tonight so that they can meet our new puppy (I know, I've been holding out on you all!) and because it's my mom's birthday. I haven't decided yet if I want us to tell them tonight or wait until tomorrow. I don't want steal my mom's "birthday thunder", but I'm just so darn excited! Suggestions?

Oh and I can't leave you all without a ring pic and a puppy pic. They are just iPhone pics for now. I will do a proper SMTB thread soon enough, but right now it's been rainy and cloudy nonstop here.

Details on the ring:
0.818 H SI1 ACA set in an 18K White Gold Legato Sleekline Solitaire

mfring1.jpg

mfpuppy.jpg

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!

The ring is stunning. And the pooch is adorable. I'm sure your mom would want to hear ASAP (assuming she approves of the match) so I wouldn't wait!

audball

Ideal_Rock
OMG!!! A MILLION CONGRATS!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

I've waited for your announcement for so long!! YAY!!! I can't wait for you to join us in BWW! :bigsmile:

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations Mayflowers! So happy for you. Your diamond is gorgeous and that puppy is so adorable! :appl:

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
My heart jumped out of my chest when I saw this thread!

One million congratulations and best wishes to you, Mayflowers!

:appl: :appl: :appl:

(I can't wait to hear how telling everyone goes, and more about that beautiful puppy!)

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Yayyyyyy couldn't be happier for you MF!!!!! Such a beautiful ring and of course puppy!!!!! Congrats!!!

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
:appl: :appl: congrats!!! Woohoo!!! BLING AND PUPPY!

You know we need more pics (of both!!!)

lktx

Shiny_Rock
YAY congratulations!!

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!!! I've been quietly following along too waiting for your announcement. ::) your puppy is adorable and your ring looks amazing! :bigsmile:

Personally, I wouldn't have any problem at all if my daughters told me they are engaged on my birthday, as long as I liked the guy and they'd been together a while like the two of you. :))

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!!! I've been quietly following along too waiting for your announcement. ::) your puppy is adorable and your ring looks amazing! :bigsmile:

Personally, I wouldn't have any problem at all if my daughters told me they are engaged on my birthday, as long as I liked the guy and they'd been together a while like the two of you. :))

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YAY, MAYFLOWERS!!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: I'm sooo happy for you! I say you add more happiness to the day and just let the fambam know! I'm sure your mother has been antsy for you to be engaged, so it will make her super happy too! CONGRATS!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!! That's wonderful!!

How did the dinner go last night? Did you tell your family, or decide to wait?

And do tell us about your precious new puppy!! Chocolate lab? That's what we have and they are sooooo precious as puppies!

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
How exciting! Congrats! :appl:

And what a cute puppy!!! omg... honestly! :bigsmile:

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all so much for the congratulations!

We told my family at my mom's birthday dinner and told his family the next morning. We kept it just within family for the weekend and then we told friends and fb last night. It was nice to just celebrate it with family for a few days before all the craziness began. Everyone is already asking about dates, colors, etc. I mean I've thought about this stuff, but now that I have to make actual decisions, it kind of freaks me out!

My puppy is a 9 week old Chocolate Lab. He is absolutely adorable, but is so full of energy. He exhausts us everyday! The only break I get is when he takes his daytime naps. I do try to crate him occasionally since he will be in there all day once I go back to work during the new school year. He still whines in it, but usually settles down after about 10 or 15 minutes. We have left him in there for about 5 hours at a time before and he was fine. He is a biter too. He nips at us constantly and we have scratches all over our hands and feet. I'm getting better about only playing with him if I have a toy though and not playing with my hands. We have also been trying the technique where we yell "ouch" and then ignore him if he bites to hard. I think it's working because he hasn't bit me very hard in a couple days. He just always wants something to chew on and most of the time it is something other than one of his toys :roll: We start one puppy class this week so I hope it helps!

Oh and the sun is out today! So, I'm hoping to do a proper photoshoot with my ring today.

audball

Ideal_Rock
So ridiculously excited for you!

Tips on the puppy and biting -- go to the pet store and buy a bottle of bitter apple spray. They hate the way it tastes. You can spray this on anything they're chewing inappropriately including your hands. Before playing, spray some on your hands/forearms and he will learn quickly that it's no fun because it tastes bad. This also works for things during a walk (my first schnauzer could NOT walk by a random piece of mulch without picking it up) so we'd spray the mulch before taking her out and it only took a few walks and she lost interest in picking them up entirely.

Can't wait to see more ring pictures!

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
Chocolate labs are such heartbreakers, and your little guy is delicious! Those little paws! Ahh! I hope puppy training class goes well, he sounds like a sweet little ratbag.

I like what you did with spreading the news, I'd like to let it out slowly too. How excited was your Mum! Speaking of dates.. what date were you thinking? :naughty: :tongue:

I'm so excited for you! :appl:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought it was a chocolate lab!! We have one that is almost 8 months and she is sooooo cute... but sooooo DEMANDING!! Its just a puppy thing with the biting and teething - as many kongs/rubberized squishy toys as possible and rope toys --- but to them, nothing tastes as great as mom and dad's hands! haha!!

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats!!! Wishing you all the best! :appl:

gatorblue

Rough_Rock
Sorry I'm late to the party but --- CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!! :bigsmile:
New puppy, new fiance, awesome! :)) So exciting!

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
audball said:
So ridiculously excited for you!

Tips on the puppy and biting -- go to the pet store and buy a bottle of bitter apple spray. They hate the way it tastes. You can spray this on anything they're chewing inappropriately including your hands. Before playing, spray some on your hands/forearms and he will learn quickly that it's no fun because it tastes bad. This also works for things during a walk (my first schnauzer could NOT walk by a random piece of mulch without picking it up) so we'd spray the mulch before taking her out and it only took a few walks and she lost interest in picking them up entirely.

Can't wait to see more ring pictures!

Thanks for the tip audball! We already have the bitter spray and use it on the furniture and carpet that he likes to chew on. I hadn't thought to use it on us. I went to the puppy class orientation last night and the trainer said we need to just start ignoring him whenever he bites too hard or plays too rough. She said even telling him "no" is giving him attention and that's what he wants. So, we will see how it works. I've tried it a couple times and I find that the only problem with ignoring him is that he ends up getting into something he shouldn't. I don't want to put him in his crate as punishment since he will be there all day this fall. I have put him in "time out" in his crate when he got way too rowdy. Once he calmed down, I let him out.

Chewbacca said:
Speaking of dates.. what date were you thinking? :naughty: :tongue:

Right now, we are looking at either summer or fall 2014. I'm anxious to pick a date but FI isn't too concerned with it. He doesn't realize that these things take a lot of time to plan and that stuff books up early! We talked about last night before going to sleep and he just said "I don't know, that's a whole year away!" :lol: I will talk some sense into him soon though because I'm ready to start booking vendors and my entourage (my mom, sisters, his step-mom and sister) are all ready to take me dress shopping!

Enerchi said:
I thought it was a chocolate lab!! We have one that is almost 8 months and she is sooooo cute... but sooooo DEMANDING!! Its just a puppy thing with the biting and teething - as many kongs/rubberized squishy toys as possible and rope toys --- but to them, nothing tastes as great as mom and dad's hands! haha!!

I actually talked to the trainer about this last night because he really does just seem to prefer our hands over his toys. She said to try coring an apple and then freezing it and giving it to him. She said that the apple will depress in a way similar to the way your skin does. So if he is really seeking that kind of texture it should help. She also said he is probably teething and that's why he wants to chew on us so much.

Thank you gatorblue, nowicanseethemoon and MBKRH!

audball

Ideal_Rock
MayFlowers|1373466838|3480226 said:
Thanks for the tip audball! We already have the bitter spray and use it on the furniture and carpet that he likes to chew on. I hadn't thought to use it on us. I went to the puppy class orientation last night and the trainer said we need to just start ignoring him whenever he bites too hard or plays too rough. She said even telling him "no" is giving him attention and that's what he wants. So, we will see how it works. I've tried it a couple times and I find that the only problem with ignoring him is that he ends up getting into something he shouldn't. I don't want to put him in his crate as punishment since he will be there all day this fall. I have put him in "time out" in his crate when he got way too rowdy. Once he calmed down, I let him out.
Hope it helps! Definitely don't him in the crate as punishment ever. That's supposed to be his safe place.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Huzzah!!!
A very hearty congrats from me!!!
:love: :appl:

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
more puppy and bling shots? :naughty: fellow lab lover here :love:

Jumpin_Jacks

Rough_Rock
Yaaay congrats!! CUTE puppy :)

rochelle

Rough_Rock
Congrats! The stone is gorgeous and looks huge on your hand! What ring size are you?

Regarding your beautiful puppy, while we were in the obedience phase, we had success using the spray bottle, shake cans/bottles, coupled with ignoring unwanted behaviors. Bitter apple spray wasn't effective with ours (btw you can make at home versions since store bought is so pricey)...with some, hot sauce works (to discourage food stealing, for example), but that isn't a great idea on hands. Also, if your pup jumps up on your legs when you're crouching down (or sitting when he gets taller), say "ouch" to cue him, stand up so he doesn't have a platform, then ignore. Many people try to push dogs off when they exhibit this behavior, but that just further encourages them. When standing and he jumps, say "ouch," turn around and ignore.

Enjoy this time though it's tiring! They grow up before you know it :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results