shape
carat
color
clarity

1 ct red spinel prices

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful, deep red. Says (Tan) no treatment, for $200 (or a just a little more).

Is this too good to be true?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
There's a site with red spinel with reasonable prices that Zzz posted in Gypsy's moonstone thread. Let me see if I can find it...

Here we are.. http://www.gemcal.com/cat--Red-Spinel--red_spinel.html

I really can't offer comments on red spinel pricing, but hopefully seeing another vendors stock/pricing will help offer a comparison.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends – how extinct is it? How deep is the red? There are many nuances to gemstone colour which affects pricing. I know you probably do not want to post a picture or link to the stone but that’s the only way I can be able to tell you if it’s overpriced, underpriced or a fair price because pricing depends on the quality.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've got a stop light red spinel that is sensational in incandescent lighting. In natural daylight it almost totally blacks out. This is a common problem with red spinels and may be the reason that the price is driven down.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I should have been more specific. What I want to know is: if Tan says it has no treatment, to what degree can I assume this true?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sent my candy-pink spinel bought from him to GIA for "no treatment" verification. The stone is beautiful and the color is awesome but I am a little bit cautious these days. I hope that my jeweler may receive the report back by the end of this week; I shall post it here.

However: I won a 0.67 ct spinel at his auction for $ 20.00. Native cut and everything, but beautiful and expected to perform well in a proper setting. I also bought a 0.67-ct red spinel from another vendor for a much higher price.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny|1289620132|2764020 said:
I should have been more specific. What I want to know is: if Tan says it has no treatment, to what degree can I assume this true?

If it's a spinel, they're typically never treated, so I wouldn't worry about that. If it were a heated sapphire, I would get a lab report since dealers can be duped on beryllium treatment. The thing you have to worry about with red spinels is synthetic ones. I have bought five red spinels from Tan, and four came with AIGS memos I requested, which indicated they were natural. I didn't get the fifth one checked because it was only $22.50, but it has an inclusion similar to the ones in my natural spinels.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
TL, is that a usual request from him? Do you have pay a fee for it?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny|1289703119|2765218 said:
TL, is that a usual request from him? Do you have pay a fee for it?

Tan provides laboratory reports from the following labs
AIGS
Burapha
GIA
GRS
GIT

The AIGS is the least expensive going all the way to the more expensive GIA or GRS reports, which can test for more difficult types of detectible treatment. The lab reports are listed as separate listings, and have various pricepoints. You can email Tan for more information on this. It takes around a week to a month to get a lab report back, before he can ship out the stone.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Interesting, thanks.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spinels are typically not treated although there have been efforts to heat them to improve clarity without much success. As of now, synthetic spinel is the only thing to be aware of and a good lab (as listed by TL) will give you a definitive answer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results